Ratings for Dr. Michael Nikolakis

Communication difficult. Impossible to ascertain in Dr. Nikolakis actually receives communication or reads patient input emails. Difficult to rate if you cannot acquire an appointment to discuss escalated deterioration of high chronic pain & immobility. Has anyone else had issues getting past the front desk? Difficult to rate if follow-up refused.

flag | Submitted July 19, 2018

We were not to happy with the outcome of our apppointment

flag | Submitted June 13, 2018

My daughter and I want to express our gratitude for our recent consult with Dr. Nikolakis. It is the first time we've come away from a specialist appointment, feeling heard, validated, educated, encouraged and treated with respect. He took all the time we needed to discuss my daughters medical condition, explained the actual issue in detail, and explained her options and associated risks with full disclosure and honesty. Considering he is one of a handful of neurosurgeons in BC (servicing it's entire population), and the only one willing to perform the operation my daughter might require, the wait time to see him (14 months) for a non-life-threatening condition, is entirely understandable. His bedside manner is commendable and his sharing of knowledge was personable, not clinical and detached. He made every effort to ensure our questions were answered.

flag | Submitted May 9, 2018

Dr. Nikolakis is a very special doctor. I cannot say enough good things about the man who saved my mom's life. My mom suffered a ruptured brain aneurysm in March 2017. This was the worst experience of my life. We were told by the emergency room doctor that there was an 80% chance she would die. Shortly after this, Dr. Nikolakis came to my mother's bedside. He spoke to us with such kindness and compassion. He told us the odds of survival were not good, but that there was still a chance. Later that night Dr. Nikolakis took her to the operating room, where he fixed her aneurysm and took the pressure off her brain. He said the operation went well, but that we would have to wait and see how her brain recovered. One year later my mom is doing very well. She still has weakness on her left side, but she can walk, talk, laugh, tell stories, and look after herself on a daily basis. The fear I felt the day that she was taken to hospital and we were told that she had bleeding in her brain from a ruptured aneurysm will always haunt me. But the care we got from Dr. Nikolakis was world class. My whole family will always be grateful for the work that he did saving my mom's life. I pray he continues to practice for many years to come, so that others who have the same experience we did can benefit from his skill and compassion.

flag | Submitted May 5, 2018

Several months after filling out the referral form, and having heard nothing from Dr. Nikolakis’s office, I received a call from my referring neurologist’s office on March 26th saying that they had cancelled my appointment for March 27th because they had been unable to contact me. I told her that I had never been informed of an appointment , and that no attempt had been made to contact me. She was told that it was too late and I would need a new referral. I have caller ID and answering service on both of my phones. My Bell sattelite rec river records caller ID numbers. There were no telephone calls or emails from Dr Nikolakis’ number. I have discs pressing on my spinal cord. My neurologist told me that a hard bump or a fall or car accident could make me “like Christopher Reeves”. I can only rate staff and helpful lines as I have had no direct contact with the doctor.

flag | Submitted March 30, 2018

Referral went great, a+ 'bedside manner', said he would operate on my neck, we discussed fusion vs disc replacement - i felt relief that i was going to finally have a solution to this daily pain gradually getting worse. wait list was long 1-2 yrs quoted to me, understandable. i had to sign the forms & due to unforeseen circumstances i was unable to sign right away. when i was able to go forward again, i called the office (when they were still taking phone calls) & was advised that i need a new referral & to have my new mri i was getting attached with the new referral so i could get the forms done up to sign off on. all of this was done, sent, waited - nothing. my dr office gets a blanket letter stating they are no longer taking new patients. this didnt apply to me as im not a new patient. my dr office gets another letter stating that if i want to get the surgery now i have to PAY PRIVATELY NOW for it >>> the same surgery he ALREADY approved me for under the covered bc medical...??? now the office only corresponds via email - i had my dr office write to them again inquiring about this decision & they refused to change their decision or take me back as a patient. Now i have to start this all over again, do more referrals, etc - im feeling completely dejected, my symptoms from this herniated disc & multiple areas of moderate to severe stenosis are affecting me every day. Dr Nikolakis was my 2nd referral (Dr Heran was my 1st & he was completely useless) & i was hopeful when he came into the room & immediately did some tests & knew right away what needed to be done.........only to be told after the fact that he wont see me anymore & if i still want him to do my surgery i have to PAY. are you kidding me?! what kind of SHAM are you running here? this is the BC Medical system at its best folks & they get away with it while patients suffer! (sorry for this long winded review but ppl need to know the truth.)

flag | Submitted March 14, 2018

Dr. Nikolakis is gem. He was the first doctor to properly diagnose my condition. He is very kind, knowledgeable, and I think he did a great job on my surgery. My neck feels back to normal now. Thank you so much for giving me my life back Dr. N!

flag | Submitted February 27, 2018

OMG!! I LOVE this DR.!! so pleasant, knowledgeable and treats you with such respect and caring!!! LOVE. LOVE. LOVE. For a specialist he is a true gem!! waited 18 months to see him but it was totally worth it.

flag | Submitted February 1, 2018

After 5 years of severe pain alternating with being reduced to a shuffle Dr Nikolakis completely restored my mobility and I have been pain free for almost 5 months. He was my 3rd and final surgeon. Confident, knowledgeable and among the top of his field. Life changing experience.

flag | Submitted December 23, 2017

An absolute professional. Very good at what he does. Two brain surgery’s in one year and expected to make a full recovery with no loss of function in any way. Knock on wood I don’t have to but would not have any one else do the operation.

flag | Submitted December 21, 2017