Ratings for Dr. V Pillay

I've only seen dr. Pillay once as he has a very long wait time, but he was wonderful and thorough. I feel like he has a vested interest in diagnosing and treating me. His reception however is a horrible human being with no ability to provide patients with respect, or courteous treatment. I have been unfailingly polite to her but she treats me disrespectfully with every interaction, and seems to enjoy telling me I cannot talk to Dr. Pillay or have a follow up appointment. Recently she told me that dr. Pillay would like me to have a lumbar puncture. But she isn't able to tell me why, or tell me anything about the procedure as "she isn't a nurse". When I've asked if I can send a Fax or email to him asking a few questions, she tells me she can't guarantee he will see it. Yet I'm supposed to go for an invasive procedure without knowing why? And as of now I have no appointment for a follow up even though my condition has worsened since I saw him 3 months ago. She has "no idea" when I can get in because I'm "not at all urgent". Although dr. Pillay has not been made aware of my deterioration because she will not communicate this to him. If I didn't know that he was such a fantastic doctor I would get another referral to someone else, just so I can be treated with some amount of compassion.

flag | Submitted December 12, 2017

I love Dr. Pillay. He is a fantastic neurologist, caring, knowledgeable, and very quick to order the appropriate tests. He is the best neurologist I have ever seen. His receptionist, however, is a nightmare. I make a point of asking Dr. Pillay when he would like to see me after a test, and when I don't hear from within the given time frame I call-- only to be given the run around by his receptionist. It took 6 months to get in after he said he wanted to see me within 2 weeks because the receptionist insisted that I didn't need to see him. I finally called an said I'd had a potential seizure (which I had) because then she cannot arbitrarily refuse without consulting the doctor. He seemed shocked and embarrassed when I told him my symptoms and how long I'd been calling for, and very concerned that I hadn't gotten in earlier based on my symptoms. What I'm saying is make sure you ask Pillay when he wants to see you in front of the receptionist because she is a terrible human who doesn't want people to receive medical treatment when they need it, apparently.

flag | Submitted December 1, 2017

Receptionist was very very good maybe he hired a new one but this lady was excellent

flag | Submitted November 9, 2017

Dr Pillay is wonderful; knowledgeable, thorough, kind and campassionate. He diagnosed my condition within 3 minutes of seeing me. His receptionist is the exact opposite. She forces unsolicited, unsupported medical advice on you, is extremely rude and has no compassion for the patients she is supposed to be serving. I believe the mission statement of the RQHR is 'Patients First'. Apparently not to this woman. I'm not sure how people with this type of attitude can maintain positions in the healthcare sector. I thought maybe she has been having a stressful summer, but having looked over the pages of complaints about her on this site, it seems like she's been having a bad few years...,

flag | Submitted August 3, 2017

Do you think he got a new receptionist or has more than 1? I'm sure the woman I talked to on the phone today was not the same one as in the past. She was helpful and accommodating, and very pleasant.

flag | Submitted July 28, 2017

Took over a year after my doctor referred me to Dr V Pillay. Once I received the call with an appointment date my dealing with his office was professional and had no issues. Dr. V Pillay himself was kind, patient and listened very well. He booked a brain MRI immediately for me and within 2-3 weeks I had my MRI. This is quick in our medical standards. I was told by the MRI staff at General Hospital to call Dr. V Pillay to confirm my results as he would get them in a week. I called several times, left 4 messages, not once did I get a call back until I left a stern message. A message was left on my home number, not my work number that I left to call me at. All that was said is he has the results but has not looked at them yet and will be booking an appointment in the future once he gets to it. I don't know what this means but it's over 5 weeks now and no word. I told my GP about this behavior and he was embarrassed to hear that a doctors office would run this way but he didn't even have a copy of the MRI which he was going to look into. I'm sorry to hear that some have been diagnosed with a life altering change or possibly life ending and this is what our health care looks like for those seeing a specialist. If the appointment is going to take another year to get my results, then just let me know so I can make other arrangements. My issue is with the overall patient experience. My father died of brain cancer and due to several issues I've been referred to this doctor. Here's hoping that the lack of professionalism with this area does not cost me an early diagnosis.

flag | Submitted June 20, 2017

I only provided one star for staff because it's mandatory. As far as I am concerned you're better off finding a new doctor then bothering with Dr. pillay as most of your interactions will need to be with his receptionist who is the worst kind of human. When you're dealing with a life changing illness you're already under a certain amount of stress and emotions; they don't need to be made worse by dealing with this awful woman. Every interaction has been negative and left me feeling completely disrespected, worthless and unimportant. I don't know how she's still employed here but it's so unfortunate for all of the poor patients referred to this office.

flag | Submitted June 10, 2017

Was referred to Pillay. Heard great things about him, but all that went out the window when I had to deal with his receptionist. She would make decisions on his behalf, cancelled my appointment to push it back to a later date. After over a month of knowing my appointment will be moved, still no word on when it will be moved to. Conditioned worsened, so politely called in to check for an update, or see if there was a short notice list to be placed on. The receptionist insisted that he wouldn't want to see me until my appointment in the most rude, condescending way imaginable. She was extremely dismissive and in no way helpful. Been waiting for over 4 months now, and haven't even been allowed as much as a 5 minute phone consult with Pillay, let alone actually getting a date for an appointment. Having such a terrible receptionist literally makes it not worth being a patient of Pillay in my opinion. Overall impression, abysmal.

flag | Submitted June 9, 2017

Complex case referred to Pillay; very nice; initial meeting set out treatment plan and testing; weeks for first test then months of nothing; phoned to find out what was happening and advised he was no longer my doctor but had referred me to another. If he was not capable it may have been polite to let me know. Still waiting on new Doctor. This has been going on for 18 months.

flag | Submitted June 6, 2017

Worst receptionist ever!!!! Nothing good about any experience I had with this lady. We chose not to see this doctor because of the receptionist! Funny now that I read reviews and most people talk about how poor she is. He might be a good doctor but needs new staff.

flag | Submitted May 9, 2017