Ratings for Dr. Arthur L. Jenkins

A top neurosurgeon in one of the country's best hospitals. Dr. Arthur Jenkins , is co-director of the Neurosurgery Spine program at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City. For my cervical spinal stenosis, he performed a “hinged laminoplasty”, a type of minimally invasive spine surgery that is approached posteriorly. Dr. Jenkins has had a great deal of experience with this procedure. The hinged laminoplasty is performed to preserve motion and avoid fusion. It is an innovative operation rather than the more conventionally performed anterior fusion. After surgery I was pain and symptom free and I didn’t have to wear a neck collar post-op which apparently is necessary after an anterior fusion. I also had an L5 S1 herniated disc in my lower back which Dr. Jenkins subsequently operated on. Again, it was a success and my recovery was smooth and uneventful. He and his staff were terrific. He and his nurse practitioner, Sarah Nichol, were always available and answered all of my queries. I would highly recommend Dr. Jenkins. H.P.Goodheart M.D.

flag | Submitted August 1, 2017

Dr Jenkins and his staff treated me for a very complex series of issues. 5 months post surgery, I am healing as expected and am very pleased with my outcome. He is top of the food chart and yet is approachable and sensitive to all patient/family concerns. Dr Hecht consulted and performed the orthopedic portion of my fusion while Dr. Jenkins did the neuro portion and acted as primary for my case. I would highly recommend him and already have done so.

flag | Submitted September 26, 2016

I’ve recently completed my six months-post surgery check-up with Dr. Jenkins and cannot over estimate how satisfied I am with the services that I received. My symptoms presented one morning when I woke up with essentially no feeling in the majority of the left side of my body below the neck. After receiving an initial diagnosis in the ER, I was able to meet with Dr. Jenkins and his incredibly talented nurse practitioner, Sarah Nichol, within two days. Dr. Jenkins (in conjunction with Dr. Andrew Hecht, an orthopedic surgeon also at Mount Sinai) conducted a cervical laminoplasty to relieve tension on my spinal canal. By 11pm the night of the surgery Dr. Jenkins had me walking on the neurosurgery recovery floor. I have since visited his office three times and have had very positive experiences on each occasion. His bedside manner is excellent, and he has taken an interest in ensuring that I meet my personal recovery goals. I am proud to say that I am back to working out at the gym running outside, skiing, and fully plan on returning to marathon training this Summer.

flag | Submitted May 21, 2016

Dr. Arthur Jenkins and his staff are fantastic. Dr. Jenkins performed an anterior fusion of my L5/S1 in May of 2015. I feel so much better after the surgery. Dr. Jenkins' approach is to "do the least harm" to the patient. He suggested physical therapy and pain management and reserved surgery as a final option. While I was recovering post surgery, Dr. Jenkins and his nurse practitioner Sarah Nicol checked on me several times. These people really care and they show it. Dr. Jenkins spent significant time with me answering all of my pre and post surgery questions. I never feel rushed out of his office. This is truly a gifted surgeon and a really good guy. I wouldn't go to anyone else with an issue with my spine. Highly recommended.

flag | Submitted February 1, 2016

he is a good dr. his staff is very rude especialy kim and the pa.not helpful at all and look down on people

flag | Submitted December 3, 2014

He worked with another Sinai surgeon to fix the 2/3rds of my spine that were wrecked by a botched surgery at a "bigger named NYC hospital". I saw him in the hospital more than my main surgeon and Jenkins has a great bedside manner. Having had a previous spine surgery plus 3 other surgeries, I would say his bedside manner was one of the best. My only regret is not seeing him or the other Sinai surgeon before my first spine surgery...don't be fooled by the hospitals over marketing themselves as #1...it's just that...marketing. Fortunately I've regained a lot of the balance, weakness and coordination issues I had for the several years prior to surgery. It took a LOT of work, time, etc., in addition to the spine surgeries he did but it was worth it.

flag | Submitted July 5, 2014

I really believe that Dr. Jenkins is one of the most accomplished neurosurgeons anywhere. He was my third consult for spinal stenosis, and he recommended a laminoplasty ,rather than anterior fusion ,as a permanent solution to the issue. Not only is the procedure less expensive, but you retain full range of motion, and it is unlikely another surgery will ever be needed. Dr Jenkin's staff is very professional, and he spends whatever time is needed answering questions and explaining the procedure. He also follows up for six months after surgery. I would recommend Dr. Jenkins to any one of my friends or family. Excellent job !

flag | Submitted May 24, 2014

Quite simply the best. I went into surgery for two herniated discs causing severe pain and difficulty walking and I came out of surgery with no pain and walking within hours and out of the hospital in 24 hours. Professional from beginning to end, open and engaging, Dr. Arthur Jenkins lays out the diagnosis and prognosis in a thoroughly understandable manner. Displaying a sense of confidence which puts one at ease, the decision to move forward with the surgery was made simple. He has a great office staff and is supported by his ever efficient and delightful nurse practitioner Sara Nicol. Dr. Jenkins should be your first choice in neurosurgeons.

flag | Submitted May 6, 2014

am a very active sports person & got injured while surfing . I suffered from herniated disk; L5 , L6 and very bad sciatica pain to my left leg. I was treated by a pain management Dr with cortisone and epidural shots, I also tried many conventional treatments , nothing worked. The pain was so intense , I couldn't seat for too long, I couldn't sleep through the night, I was in indescribable pain all the time. On Thanksgiving 2013 I was not able to move my left leg and was bed bound . Dr. Jenkins and his team greeted me at the hospital even though it was a holiday and rushed me to a surgery the next day. Miraculously few hours after surgery I was able to walk and the pain was gone. Today a year later my life was giving back to me , I am back to skiing , riding my bike and active in the gym. I am forever thankful to Dr. Jenkins and his team.

flag | Submitted January 20, 2014

Dr. Jenkins changed my life. Before surgery I was in constant pain and could only walk a few steps. One month after surgery I am like a new person. I more active than I have been in years and with very little pain. I would definitely recommend Dr. Jenkins, his staff, and Mt. Sinai hospital to anyone facing similar spine surgery as mine.

flag | Submitted February 21, 2013

Dr. Arthur L. Jenkins's Credentials

• University Of Pennsylvania School Of Medicine (Grad. 1993)