Ratings for Dr. Doug G. Avella

I had a scoliosis surgery done two years ago and I still felt pain. Apparently one of the rods he inserted was too long and had to get a second surgery done to shorten it. This kept me out of sports for three years and I still feel pain doing simple tasks. I am currently trying to make another appointment to get it checked out, I called multiple times but nobody answered the phone. Highly recommend finding another doctor :)

flag | Submitted August 3, 2017

I never got to see this doctor. I waited for 45 minutes, and they told me I had to wait at least 20 minutes more. I walked out. I made a morning appt. to avoid getting stuck behind emergencies. They told me they didn't have an emergency today, that routinely patients wait 60-90 minutes. NO respect for patients' time. No apology or anything. I told them I would charge them a bill for all the time I wasted in their waiting room.

flag | Submitted June 13, 2012

Do not go to him my child has scoliosis and he just talked about surgery and told her not to wear her brace and nothing else will help her back ONLY surgery... She is still growing....why??????

flag | Submitted August 15, 2011

While I have heard many wonderful things of Dr. Avella through many people, he misdiagnosed my child. After 2 years of treatment for my child's feet and no relief of pain or change, I decided to go for other opinions. Three other surgeons have agreed that my child required surgery on both feet and the problem was on the bottom of her feet and not the top where Dr. Avella diagnosed. I appreciated his conservative approach (sportothic arches,physical therapy....) such a misdiagnosis is unacceptable. My 11 yr. old has suffered in pain for 2 years and has had to withdraw from sports due to her pain. I trusted his opinion far too much, due to his reputation, and patiently waited for change in my child's pain to better. Her problem has become so serious at this point that her knees have been affected as well.

flag | Submitted April 17, 2011

Dr. Avella is the best.my son has hip pain.other doctor scared us with surgeries.I trust Dr. Avella the most,he reassured us .would recomend for everyonewith ortho problem. THE BIGGEST Priblem-He accept only Healthnet-or cash

flag | Submitted October 6, 2010

Dr. Avella Was Highly recomended to us for our daughter for severe scoliosis curvature top notch Child loving friendly informative comforting and eased the anxiety of the surgery we were about to face andhe made her perfect he is truly gifted God Bless him we love him and recomend him to all who need a specialist in bone care. Hes tour man ask any one who knows him.

flag | Submitted November 15, 2009

Dr Avella has found broken bones on my children, when our local hospital said there weren't any. He did surgery on my oldest and did a fantastic job. I would recommend him to anyone. He is kind, caring, personable & knowledgeable doctor.

flag | Submitted July 15, 2008

Dr Avella drove back to town on a Saturday evening from a weekend vacation to perform emergency surgery on my daugter's arm. He is amazing! He was able to set my daughter's arm without any incisions and her scars are minimal. His bedside manner is great and you can see from the many letters/photos and articles in the office that he is loved by many and does a great deal of volunteer work in other countries. I couldn't recommend him more and wouldn't think twice about recommending him to anyone who asks. The one negative I do have is that the staff there (not all but most) aren't the friendliest people you will encounter but they do their job just fine. I would have rated the staff a lower number (3) but I don't want to take away anything from Dr Avella recommendation.

flag | Submitted May 2, 2008

IF YOU HAVE A CHILD WITH AN ORTHO PROBLEM THIS IS THE GUY PERIOD.....EXTREMELY NICE AND A TRULY GIFTED DR. YOU CAN TELL HE LOVES KIDS AND LOVES HEALING THEM. GOD BLESS HIM

flag | Submitted November 29, 2007

I have nothing but good things to say about Dr Avella and his office staff. He is the best. They are the best. Dr Avella took care of my daughters (first child) 2 hips which were both dislocated at birth. He set up 12 days of traction in Valley hospital, visited her EVERY DAY in the hospital. Then, he reset the hips and put her in full body cast for the first surgery...then we did second surgery for another cast a couple months later...then he got her in the harness. in short-he and his EXCELLENT staff were AMAZING through the 8 month process/journey. i was a nervous wreck as it was my first child and from the first appt i was put at ease knowing i had come to the right place and found the right doctor. my daughter is running around like a crazy girl now and i have Dr Avella to thank for that.i will always be so grateful to him. i was checking this site for a doctor for me and was stunned Dr Avella wasnt already on this with nothing but the highest ratings,felt i owed to him to post

flag | Submitted April 11, 2007

Dr. Doug G. Avella's Credentials

• Univ Auto De Guadalajara, Fac De Med, Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico (Grad. 1979)

HealthPartners