Ratings for Dr. Piotr Blachut

I had a life threatening knee injury and was airlifted back to Canada for the major reconstructive surgeries to repair the tibia/fibia plateau. I received a very poor outlook from my surgical team in Japan. The outlook included possible amputation, fused knee, and never walking again. I was relieved to hear Dr Blachut say "Matt, it will be fine. I will get you as close to 100% as anyone on Earth. Let's get you into surgery." minutes after landing back in Canada. Over the course of the following year there were four surgeries and Dr Blachut rebuilt my knee. As I understand it, in the process he invented a new surgerical procedure for my extreme case. Eight years later I am skiing, mountain climbing, running, playing tennis and squash, etc... I try not to think about what my life would be like if I had not met Dr Blachut.

flag | Submitted August 24, 2016

Two years agoI was hit on my motorcycle and suffered a tibial plateau fracture. I read about the difficulties living with this fracture and was not confident. Dr Blachut told me he was going to fix it and fix it he did. Still have 9 screws and a plate in the leg, but I have complete mobility back in the leg. Amazing Surgeon.

flag | Submitted August 6, 2016

At 35 I drove my femur through my pelvis after I messed up a landing while mountain biking at Whistler. I was worried that I would need a hip replacement, but I was far too young and would wear it out in a short period of time. Dr. Bachut was my surgeon, and he rebuilt my hip. That was 4 years ago, and since then other than a slight bit of numbness in my thigh and the scars from the surgery I can barely notice any difference between my right and left legs. I can walk and run, there is no pain, and I have a full range of motion. I feel like my life was given back to me and I can't thank him enough for that.

flag | Submitted September 23, 2015

Plating my clavicle was my third surgery from Dr Blachut. He is very paient with all around including staff. I love the fact that he is not so arragont as not to answer my questions in detail.

flag | Submitted March 17, 2015

MY tibia (shin-bone) was very badly shattered at the top (the plateau) after a 25 foot fall onto the side of a mountain. His words to me after the surgery were that he was happy with the outcome. I was over-joyed! A Doctor in Whitehorse warned my family that I might lose the leg because the injury was possibly inoperable. Mr. Blachut has my deepest respect. You probably think you are just doing your job as usual. You spent a few hours with me and went on to the next but what a difference you have made in my life!!! Cant thank you enough!!! God bless you man.

flag | Submitted February 13, 2015

He simply saved my arm, i will never thank him enough for what he and his team have accomplished. Thank yoy

flag | Submitted August 30, 2014

He is an awesome surgeon, no doubt, but his knowledge of RSD left me in a bind. He told me and wrote a report in which he stated that |I would not walk normally again and lambasted me for wanting to use alternative medicine. Well I didn't accept his advise and continued with the alternative medicine. Changed orthopedic adviser and now I am walking free of walking aid.Great surgeon, but limited knowledge of alternative medicine and if I had accepted his advise I would be still walking with difficulty and with some walking aid. Albeit doctors know very little about RSD.

flag | Submitted July 16, 2014

Absolutely saved my leg. He did what others were unable to do. It was a struggle with 4 procedures but due to his knowledge and abilities I can play rugby and walk with a straight leg. Anyone who is lucky enough to have Dr. Blachut is in the best hands possible none finer or better. Highly professional a great mentor and a wonderful teacher as I have observed him many times. Thank-you Thank-you

flag | Submitted June 28, 2014

Don't really know about staff or punctuality. What I can tell you is that I remember him and his team walking into my hospital room the day after I smashed my wrist running on the North Shore. "Hi Michael. I'm Dr. Blachut and I'm one of the bone doctors here at VGH. We're going to fix your wrist." And he did. It's been 4+ years and I feel very lucky to have received such great care.

flag | Submitted June 5, 2014

Dr. Blachut was the third doctor we were referred to for my sons ortho repairs. After a broken femur and severed nerves at age 12 and an undiagnosed injury to the growth plate of the Tibia we experienced 6 years of pain, frustration and surgeries- until a wise doctor referred us out of Childrens and to Dr. Blachut. His calm and his obvious confidence gave us all the security we needed. He made a plan with our son and executed it perfectly. 2 more osteotomies and finally, at 19, our son is walking with a straight leg. Absolutely thrilled and grateful, this doctor is simply the best. Period. Full Stop!

flag | Submitted April 24, 2014