Ratings for Dr. Carlos Guerra

Let me start with I have been a patient of Dr. Guerra for about a decade. I will not go into details regarding my condition or particular issue as it is obvious as to WHY we come to see him. I have NEVER been treated so poorly by a staff member before as I was during my last visit. This, however, was NOT Dr. Guerra that treated me this way but his so-called "office manager". I arrived after a very stressful morning with my special needs son and absolutely needed to see the Doctor due to having run out of my medications. I was greeted with "the doctor will not see you until you pay the balance that has not been covered by your insurance". Well, not being in the best states of mind to begin with, this was really upsetting and I did not appreciate the fact that Melanie Helm had decided that my NEED to see my doctor was going to be denied until I paid a nominal balance. I pay my co-pay each visit and my deductible had been met early in the year so the "unpaid" balance was not clear to me and ESPECIALLY in that moment. This woman proceeded to exert her power as “office manager” to the point that I was in tears, angry, worried and ultimately humiliated. Citing that I was causing a disturbance and upsetting other patients because of my state of mind, I would NOT be seen this day. This caused me to panic further until she proceeded to call the police on me as though I was some kind of deranged criminal threatening violence, when the truth of the matter was that my mind was not processing this new challenge rationally and I just needed to see MY DOCTOR. But because the “office manager” stated she was controlling things, SHE was not going to allow me to keep my appointment. She told me that “I was responsible for my actions” as though she was scolding my like a child. I am not really sure how one qualifies as an ‘office-manager” but one would like to believe that in a practice such as Dr. Guerra’s, there would be some recognition of a patient’s present state of mind and possibly some compassionate response that could have diffused this situation long enough for me to set some order to the situation and then make good on the balance due. By the way, this balance due was also incorrect and a mistake the office made but that is another issue all together. Dr. Guerra did not even have the decency to make an appearance and allowed his hired office “Bouncer” handle the situation. Not that MY business will make a difference in any way, I have found another Doctor and will just have to begin another relationship accordingly. Dr. Guerra, I trust that THIS will not simply be a hidden review and that you will have something condescending to say as a response and being supportive of your unprofessional staff that had me publically humiliated in my time of need. Even the police were baffled by the unprofessionalism exhibited by Melanie Helm.

flag | Submitted December 4, 2014

Let me start with I have been a patient of Dr. Guerra for about a decade. I will not go into details regarding my condition or particular issue as it is obvious as to WHY we come to see him. I have NEVER been treated so poorly by a staff member before as I was during my last visit. This, however, was NOT Dr. Guerra that treated me this way but his so-called "office manager". I arrived after a very stressful morning with my special needs son and absolutely needed to see the Doctor due to having run out of my medications. I was greeted with "the doctor will not see you until you pay the balance that has not been covered by your insurance". Well, not being in the best states of mind to begin with, this was really upsetting and I did not appreciate the fact that Melanie Helm had decided that my NEED to see my doctor was going to be denied until I paid a nominal balance. I pay my co-pay each visit and my deductible had been met early in the year so the "unpaid" balance was not clear to me and ESPECIALLY in THAT moment. This woman proceeded to exert her power as “office manager” to the point that I was in tears, angry, worried and ultimately humiliated. Citing that I was causing a disturbance and upsetting other patients because of my state of mind, I would NOT be seen this day. (An "Office Manager" decided this!) This caused me to panic further until she proceeded to call the police on me as though I was some kind of deranged criminal threatening violence, when the truth of the matter was that my mind was not processing this new challenge rationally and I just needed to see MY DOCTOR for which I had made an appointment. But because the “office manager” stated SHE was controlling things, SHE was not going to allow me to keep my appointment. She told me that “I was responsible for my actions” as though she was scolding my like a child. I am not really sure how one qualifies as an "office-manager” but one would like to believe that in a practice such as Dr. Guerra’s, there would be some recognition of a patient’s present state of mind and possibly offer some compassionate response that could have diffused this situation long enough for me to set some order to the situation and then make good on the balance due. By the way, this balance due was also incorrect and a mistake the office made but that is another issue all together. Dr. Guerra did not even have the decency to make an appearance and allowed his hired office “Bouncer” to handle the situation. Not that MY business will make a difference in any way, I have found another Doctor and will just have to begin another relationship accordingly. Dr. Guerra, I trust that THIS will not simply be a hidden review and that you will have something condescending to say as a response and being supportive of your unprofessional staff that had me publically humiliated in my time of need. Even the police were baffled by the unprofessionalism exhibited by Melanie Helm. Upon reading the other reviews on this site, there is a recognizable theme with regards to the “office manager” and I hope this gets noticed by Dr. Guerra. He has always been a good Dr for me and my son, but he has lost us as patients due to Melanie Helm.

flag | Submitted December 4, 2014

flag | Submitted August 14, 2014

i think he helps me and doesn't push drugs,or have a superior attitude.it's hard to get someone on the line unless you know the right extension. write it down after your first appointment. there is a couple new staff so it's more helpful.the nurse listened very well. i like him cause he doesn't make me nervous

flag | Submitted October 17, 2012

He lets me be the one who will accept or reject the medication without puting pressure on me. Score! Very positive guy who seems very up to date on medication.It's refreshing to see a psychiatrist who doesn't seem to think his patients need to be overmedicated.

flag | Submitted October 9, 2010

He seems to be flexible in giving options for treatment.PA is very nice.I only had to wait 5 minutes-very happy about that.

flag | Submitted April 6, 2010

Dr. Carlos Guerra's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

• University Of Texas Medical School At Houston (Grad. 1989)