Ratings for Dr. Lawrence Bartos

I looked Dr. Bartos up and found that there are lots of bad reviews about him. In my opinion he is a horrible dentist who only cares about taking your money. Read the reviews and see how people complain of being treated bad and of the bad job he had done on them.

flag | Submitted April 22, 2016

My recent experience with Dr. Bartos has made me never want to return to this practice. I have always taken care of my teeth and have never had any problems or cavities (and I am 37!). At my last routine checkup, Dr. Bartos and the hygenist diagnosed me with three cavities, pockets in my gums, and the beginnings of peridontal disease. They recommended a series of four different appointments to do a deep cleaning, scaling, antibiotic treatment, and the fillings. Since I opted to not take dental insurance this year, my bill was going to be in the neighborhood of $1500. I was upset but I believed them, since it hurt so much and made me bleed when they were "measuring" my gums. When I got home my husband argued with me about the plan and suggested that I get a second opinion. I reluctantly agreed and found a dentist that my chiropractor, who I have the utmost respect for, recommended. This dentist said I had a beautiful mouth and nothing to be concerned about! He said I did not have any cavities, just a few indentations that should be watched. They do not need to be filled! He did the same test to measure my gums and it did not hurt at all, and there was no bleeding! When I asked him about this, he said "anyone can make your gums bleed if they want to." He seemed genuinely disturbed when he read my chart from Gentle Dentistry. They are clearly just looking to make as much money as possible, and are willing to hurt patients to get it! What a horrible place! Avoid them at all costs!

flag | Submitted January 16, 2015

Absolutely the worst experience I've ever had with a medical provider in 46 years. Emergency situation: xrays were only taken of 3 lower teeth - not an entire set, he determined I needed 3 root canals, which would eventually result in those 3 teeth being lost to bone decay. He proceeded to state I would need bone grafts and in 5 years may not have any teeth on my bottom jaw. He lied to his office staff about what I said during our conversation which I knew because words that are not in my personal lexicon (such as Motrin- i've never taken that brand nor do I use it as part of my vocabulary) were repeated back to me. During our initial conversation he was abrupt, condescending and chastised me for not wearing my retainer after braces. I had braces as an adult and wore my retainer for 12 years until i lost it. ; he basically screamed at me that they DID NOT offer real sedation during procedures because it was not necessary. When I asked more questions he got huffy and literally turned his back on my to look at the computer screen while he kept talking about how people really don't need sedation and that pain isn't that bad. They also DO NOT offer pain killers, even after his traumatic diagnosis, because as they put it "we are leary of all new patients and do not prescribe pain killers until after a patient has been here for 3 visits." I recently relocated back to the area so anywhere I go will be considered a "new patient". Bedside manner: awful!! Presentation: as a dentist who appeared to be mid 40's his outdated and worn gold crowns were something I wasn't expecting in a modern era. He was scruffy looking overall and it was clear he did not want to be there. He was agitated from the minute he walked in. Medical knowledge: I find it hard to believe that any medical professional can make such a dramatic diagnosis without having more information (such as a full set of xrays, previous medical records, more testing). I also find it incredibly hard to believe that there are no alternative solutions an "experienced" dentist could offer to a patient other than "you'll be lucky to have teeth in five years but we'll do the best we can until then." He insisted that my car accident 30 years ago was the root of this problem and that the "trauma" was always there. I find it odd that my orthodontist of 18 months, oral surgeon for removal of 4 wisdom teeth or other general dentists missed it over the last 30 years but HE was able to figure it out. I GAVE HIM THIS INFORMATION about the car accident during our consultation which is what he used as his supporting evidence for his diagnosis. The xrays definitely showed some kind of abnormality, but expanding the scope of information is what a medical professional should do - meaning, a full set of xrays should have been done in my opinion. The real clincher is after all of this drama, they have their "office manager" waiting to retrieve you and usher you into a private office where she reviews the finances. She (Julie) then pushes a long credit contract at you and insists it will be the best way to have all of the "recommended" work covered so I don't have to worry about that part of it. The bill was printed and had $0.00 for they conscious sedation, yet they had wrote $400 and told me it was a computer glitch which I find hard to believe. It seems like its an important line item for a dental practice. Personal opinion: if a dentist has such a hard time offering adults normal sedation during routine procedures or 2-3 days of pain killers and becomes argumentative and hostile over these specific issues, then perhaps this dentist has larger issues with NYS and other governing bodies and is repenting for previous missteps in his professional career. Both the dentist and his office manager insisted that the antibiotics would relieve the pain. Its how they spin it, which I can see how this approach and verbal manipulation would be accepted by a lot of people At the end of this horrible appointment, he insisted we schedule an annual exam including cleaning, full xrays BEFORE he did anything about the emergency. Because HE was going to be out of town the same week, he didnt even schedule this for two weeks out. As large as the office is, it is ridiculous that they didn't just schedule me with someone else to get the process going as fast as possible. Patients: Don't let the nice staff fool you because they will not be the people doing the dental work. This business is set up as revenue generation only - there is nothing professional or gentle about it. Although this is a lengthy review based on personal experience, I recommend conducting your own RESEARCH BEFORE SEEING THIS DENTIST!

flag | Submitted October 5, 2014

flag | Submitted July 14, 2014

Dr. Bartos also did not care about my pain. Went several weeks with severe pain and he seemed to not care. Do not recommend.

flag | Submitted July 6, 2012

This Dr.is very RUDE and does not seem to care about his patients.Will not try to help someone who is in pain. His staff is excellent. Will not go back.

flag | Submitted May 13, 2010

The staff in the office is great, they go out of their way to help. But Dr. Bartos.... well, he is arrogant, dosent make eye contact, dosent listen he has the most horrible bedside manner I have ever come across. Even when I thanked him after the visit, he just turned and walked away without another word.

flag | Submitted February 5, 2010