Ratings for Dr. Frank Stephen Hodi

Very short with me and provided inaccurate information! He failed to cover all my options. Thank goodness I had another appointment for a second opinion at MGH. Do yourself a favor and skip Dr. Hodi and find another doctor.

flag | Submitted April 15, 2014

Dr. Hodi is an acknowledged leader in melanoma research. In my experience, he is quick to assert the importance of "good [patient] communication" but devastatingly lacking in willingness actually to communicate substantively about treatment options. On one occasion, he communicated incomplete or inaccurate information about test results, a potentially harmful error "caught" when I routinely reviewed results myself though I lack medical training. Even when issues are brought to his attention, his responses are oddly mixed -- prompt, superficially affable, but lacking in the substance or opportunity for discussion which would evidence respect for his patient's intelligence and/or wish or need for information. Were he not "the" acknowledged expert at DFCI in his field, I would have sought out another clinician months ago. Instead, I have been forced repeatedly to rely on my superb PCP to prod Dr Hodi for information to relay to me. He apparently does communicate well with other MDs.

flag | Submitted March 1, 2012

He was too brief with my mother. He would walk into the room drop a bomb in your lap (the tumor is in your brain), ask if you have any questions and expect you to formulate them immediately. If you couldn't in that minute, he assumes your all set and he is gone. He really should be able to anticipate the kinds of questions patients receiving information like that would have. There was no problem with a large charge for the visit. And when I called back to ask questions, his assistant was very short and impatient.

flag | Submitted January 29, 2010

Dr. Frank Stephen Hodi's Credentials

• Cornell University Medical College (Grad. 1992)

Tufts Health Plans