Ratings for Dr. Akin Peluola

He is a good and kind doctor. I am surprised and insulted as to his low ratings.

flag | Submitted August 7, 2015

Dr Peluola met my expectations.He's a fine doctor, good practice and competent.Not the arrogant type. Enough of 'bashing' the good docs pleeeeeeease. Let's retain them in Saskatchewan.

flag | Submitted February 26, 2014

(2/2) cont'd . Once the doctors at the dube centre saw my history of bipolar I was thrown into a prescription pill hell once again. I ended up moving provinces and getting psychiatric care here where a lovely Dr Lam took the time to review my history, study my behaviour without medication and informed me that indeed I was misdiagnosed. Dr paloula's malpractice led to years of stigmatization and feeling like I was fighting the system. I don't only blame dr paloula, I blame the general practice at Dube. I was informed in Alberta they can not be forcing medications and treating people the way they do. I was also mistreated by staff & manhandled w/o cause by security. Going through mental illness is not a game and too many dr's do not have a clue what they are doing. Dr paloula is a nice man but he did not listen and it seemed as though his English was lacking. For one, gp's should not be prescribing psycho active drugs and 2, psychiatrists should analyze unmedicated before they diagnose

flag | Submitted November 27, 2013

I really hope his prescription practice has changed over the past few years. He was appointed to me at the dube centre after a manic episode to which he said was caused by amitrypteline (antidepressant) that was given to be after a back injury and fibromyalgia pain. He then proceeded to diagnose me as bipolar 2 and put me on several medications and eventually forced me to take injections of haledol which is for schizophrenics. I fought with him for months that he had made a mistake and that his original claim was that an anti depressant causing adverse effects. After 5 months of trying to convince him that he had never taken the time to analyze my behaviours unmedicated, I convinced him to let me off of the haledol I injections ( I was forced only in that I would not qualify for disability if I don't follow drs orders) I was off all medications and doing wonderfully for almost 3 years when I was raped and my worried parents took me to the dube centre again to deal w/post trauma (1/2)

flag | Submitted November 27, 2013

His prescription practice must have changed as I've known him for 2 years and he has been very helpful with my prescriptions and counseling.One thing I have against him is occasional lateness to his clinic. But I just find this doctor as very humble and he always explain reasons for his lateness. I know he has to see both his inpatients and outpatients, thus having to joggle between the hospital and his clinic. Overall I found him reliable, kind and knowledgeable.

flag | Submitted July 23, 2013

This doctor has often told me that ''the less medication, the better'' so i am surprised that his prescription practice is being castigated. He is a good doctor. i always feel comfortable seeing him.

flag | Submitted June 30, 2013

I HAD to see this doctor when in hospital as my psychiatrist does not have hospital access. He is condescending, pushes medication, does not listen. The ER doctor advised me I was "overmedicated" and when I told him that, he laughed and put me on new medications, and at the same time removed one of my medications and when I advised that I needed to come off slowly, he said no, you will just stop taking it. I had terrible withdrawal symptoms. When after a few days in hospital he told me they were sending me home, I told him I couldn't go home (I was still suicidal), his reply was "why, dont you have a key". Scary. After getting home and working with another doctor, we reduced my medication as the ER doctor suggested and I wound up feeling soooo much better. For people that say we shouldn't express negative opinions here, this is what this website is for - so we can see all people's experiences with a doctor, not just the good experiences. People need to know what they are getting into.

flag | Submitted April 27, 2013

Generally I agree with both sides of the reviews here. I have tried over numerous visits to get something approaching "therapy" but I am also not high risk, I simply wish to understand myself and my issues better. Due to the fact that my GPs keep retiring or leaving Saskatoon (4 in the last 9 years), I have no reliable source of my chosen antidepressants. Peluola is a pleasant prescription machine that understands I have done my medicine research, and for personal issues I continue to see another counsellor. Tax dollars at work!

flag | Submitted February 1, 2013

I think peluola needs to start listening to his patients and stop medicating them especially when people ask for it he should talk to them and test them before prescribing them medication as my partner sees him and he has over medicated him so bad that he has really bad mood swings and it has caused him to seizure every night but then again my partner also lies to him about his sleeping problems and how he does during the day and peluola listens to him even when I correct his sleeping and what not and gives him the meds he wants and when he says to up the meds he does which is stupid.

flag | Submitted January 22, 2013

Fine doctor. he's kind, devotes time for talk therapy and never in a rush.he's as well knowledgeable giving relevant advice and info.

flag | Submitted August 20, 2012