Ratings for Dr. Jeremiah M. Eckhaus

Our family of four have been seeing Eckhaus since he first moved to Montpelier. I could write a novel about the immense support he has provided to our family over the years. Most of all I trust him. A good doctor is rare and we are lucky to have him in our little city.

flag | Submitted July 24, 2015

We selected Dr. Eckhaus on the recommendation of a friend and were really drawn to the "integrated" philosophy and the fact there was an acupuncturist in the same facility. We were vaccine hesitant and wanted to use a delayed schedule which Dr. Eckhaus said he supported. We felt like we'd made a really good choice. However, this practice has changed significantly over the past year and a half. They have gone from an "integrated" practice supporting alternative, holistic approaches to being another churn and burn hospital clinic (and the acupuncturists moved out to another office). We saw a totally different side of Dr. Eckhaus when we decided to decline a vaccine rather than delay. He became condescending and we were asked to sign a refusal form with some heavy language that stated we were knowingly putting our child's health at risk. When we decided to leave the practice and find another doctor that better fit our family values we received a letter from the State Health Dept indicating our pediatrician had reported us for refusing a vaccine and indicated we needed to schedule another appointment to vaccinate. This practice is not friendly to families questioning vaccines or anyone who dares to question the healthcare "recommended" by Dr. Eckhaus.

flag | Submitted June 1, 2015

I switched from Berlin Family Health so that I would be independent from CVH, only to soon discover that the Clinic is an extension of CVH. You may not realize that this impacts your bill in that , following a federal law (supported by Bernie Sanders) the hospital is allowed to add a ' facility fee' of $80 to your bill. Assigned to (Dr*) Jeremiah Eckhaus (JE), I was impressed at JE's attentiveness at my first consultation, for which I had many issues and questions until there was a knock on the door and a nurse told him to hurry up and end the appointment !! I was later was informed (by a source who had a contact in the clinic) that doctors have 'quotas' of services and appointments which fit with the speed at which future appointments were conducted. This created in my mind a strong question as to which was the clinic's main focus, helping me or running a business. On one occasion this was compounded when I was accompanying a disabled friend to her appointment and I chose to cancel two of my future appointments that I decided I could not afford as the only health coverage I have is Medicare B. The clerk at the registration desk asked me why I was cancelling and I told her. She then took it on herself to scan my records and said to me "What about your Diabetes?". I had never been told by JE that I had Diabetes, just that I was borderline Pre-Diabetes so this was a shock, as well as being intrusive and it further added to the feeling that this was primarily a business as , in my mind, she was trying to create a fear in me and to reinstate more appointments. I made a written complaint and got an avoidance type of response about how concerned they were for me. Right. If not an illegal use of my records, it was intrusive and a clear example of profiteering. My most recent visit last Spring , following a chest cold which left me with congestion, JE and an intern were present while he checked my lungs with a stethoscope. The intern asked 'What shall I put down (in the report)?' Without consulting me or looking at me JE responded 'Restricted Airway Disease !'. This shocked me ...that I had a DISEASE ?? And he never even discussed this with me directly ? He gave me a Flovent prescription and I asked what was the cost of this prescription and was told circa $150. Actually it was $230 !! This is well beyond my SSI means and I asked if there was any substitute or other avenue for me to pursue to get the item to which JE asked the intern what amounted to an open and sarcastic question about whether the clinic had any programs for supplying drugs. I know it is difficult for physicians to be faced with the realities that many seniors, such as I (72), face, problems they are not able to resolve but I believe they need to realize that a simple signature from them does not pay for drugs. I have absolutely no income left after my expenses and even have to make arrangements to pay for a SINGLE VISIT and pay $20 a month ! After JE and intern left the room, the nurse, sensitive to my dilemma, suggested an herbal remedy for my chest congestion, Eucalyptus, which I have been pursuing. In general I do not trust the medical profession and feel victimized by the USA's pathetic lack of assistance for the elderly. My experiences at this clinic have resulted in great skepticism ( even the PA at Berlin Family Health was better) and mistrust, especially as they regulate themselves and have never taken responsibility for their actions. I could write a book about the terrible medical and dental experiences I have experienced and known of just from a very small family circle. I intend to use their services only when absolutely necessary.

flag | Submitted December 14, 2014

Dr. Eckhaus came highly recommended to us and we love him as the doctor for our 7 week old son. I recently called and had questions and his nurse called me back promptly with helpful answers. They always try to accommodate our schedule and provide preferred appointment times. While the appointments may not always be super prompt once you check-in I feel that they're worth the wait as we're never rushed and always have ample opportunity for questions and discussion. I feel my son is in good hands. The negative reviews on here don't illustrate the experience we've had thus far.

flag | Submitted October 13, 2013

Dr E is unresponsive to patient needs, in my experience so far. I spent an hour with him in an initial appointment, detailing my fairly complex health situation -- I just moved up here -- and when I needed help a few weeks later he didnt seem to know or be able to refernce my medical situation. His staff is nice, but there is not a chance to talk to a nurse. Likewise my husband needed some immediate help, Dr. E was unavailable for days! When asked for prescription drug help his response was for me to ask my previous doctor. I have now done that, but what is the point of his being my primary doctor? I think he is very programmed in his thinking and not especially creative or communicative. Perhaps we have been spoiled coming from a terrific primary care doctor and it may be that we need to keep looking for someone in Montpelier or Barre who can meet our needs.

flag | Submitted June 27, 2013

As a new patient, I found Dr. Eckhaus and staff to be very friendly,open and timely. He spent a lot of time listening to me and took time to understand what I was looking for in a physician and my health care. He offered several solutions to specific issues and didn't push pharmacuticals over alternative solutions. He respected my decisions even if they did not agree with his recommendations. I am looking forward to having him as my physician.

flag | Submitted January 21, 2013

I am be-fuffed by what I have just read on this site! I felt Dr. Eckhaus was extremely knowledgeable, connected to me and helpred me view certain physical conditions that I had. I have been waiting two years to get on his list, and finally I arrived 2 days ago! I have to say, it was "worth" the time I waitied. I believe he is great!! Sorry, other people didn't have the same experience...

flag | Submitted June 2, 2012

Dr. Eckhaus was very nice and informative. He got along with my toddler and baby beautifully. I could tell that he really likes his job and enjoys helping little ones.

flag | Submitted April 17, 2012

He basically has very little knowledge of alternative treatments and covers this lack by arrogance. He does not know what he is doing!

flag | Submitted February 24, 2012

Jeremiah has a reputation around the community for not listening to patients therefore misdiagnosing and mistreating. He is marketing himself as open to alternative medicine and quite the opposite was proven to me after seeing Jeremiah Eckhaus several times. As a patient I never felt heard and I know many who have had the same experience. Unfortunate.

flag | Submitted February 11, 2012