Ratings for Dr. P. Nel

Excellent surgeon, explains everything very well. Prince Rupert is lucky to have him

flag | Submitted January 21, 2016

Almost had a unnecessary stint put into my gallbladder bile duct, thankfully got a second opinion and bile duct is clear and fine wasn't the issue - watch out! you may be having your gallbladder removed unnecessarily like most of our family members. if you do you should be taking "bile salt" for the rest of your life - don't suppose he told you that.

flag | Submitted November 7, 2015

After a gallbladder attack 2 weeks ago (and being miss diagnosed 1 week ago by a dr. on call in Prince Rupert -Dr. Fennell) we were referred to Dr. Nel. patients Billirubin was at 200! and patient was very jaundice. Dr. Nel ran additional blood tests to review current status, ran CT scan and then proposed a ERCP (scope of the bile duct is what he suspected was needed). Gave patient pros and cons of this type of scope procedure (my concern was if a general anaesthetic was really necessary and of course the cons can be severe). Procedure went well, cleared the bile duct, no gallstones seen (drinking Apple Cider Vinegar last two weeks) and no tumours/malignancy. Referred to Vancouver for a ultrasound (not available in PR). Dr. Nel was thorough without being reckless and has taken very good care of his patient. Overall I was critical of all medical procedures but in retrospect this procedure was necessary and he seems to be fairly good at what he's doing.

flag | Submitted October 28, 2015

Excellent Doctor, I don't feel so overwhelmed after our consultation meeting. I feel confident about my procedure now and I know I'm in good hands.

flag | Submitted October 20, 2015

The best! He removed 90% of my large colon, and I don't have to use a bag 💝

flag | Submitted October 17, 2015

Dr. Nel is a wonderful surgeon, with a great bedside manner. He's warm, friendly, modest, and approachable. He got me through a colonoscopy with nothing more serious than a bruised ego! He did a great job of explaining what to expect, and after the procedure he informed me that this "had been a good day," as he had removed a large polyp which, if left in place, could have become cancerous down the road. The way he expressed it, I felt like he was patting me on the back for making the wise decision to go through with the procedure, and showing me how it had paid off. IF YOU'RE OVER 50, OR HAVE OTHER RISK FACTORS, PLEASE CONSIDER A COLONOSCOPY. It doesn't hurt; you won't feel a thing before or after, and it could save your life. I was very nervous and it was a complete non-event. What are you waiting for?

flag | Submitted July 3, 2012

Dr nel is an extremely talented and knowledgable surgeon, PR is lucky to have him on their staff. He is dedicated to his patients, and communicates clearly and directly to his patients when telling them about what is happening to them. He is supportive to the patient and the family. He really cares and is very talented and dedicated. I cant say enough good things about Dr.Philip Nel

flag | Submitted September 13, 2011

he found out i had a inflamed appendix and intercepting intestines, and he cut them all out within 4 months of finding them, he saved me lots of trouble i could of had in the long run.......so they said anyways

flag | Submitted February 21, 2009

Brilliant surgeon, has got to be one of the best laparoscopists in North America. Very hard working and compassionate.

flag | Submitted December 25, 2008

He was very kind and informative about what was going to happen.

flag | Submitted March 6, 2008