Ratings for Dr. Smita Amin

I went to see Dr. Amin on two occasions to have two lesions removed. On my first visit to see her I thought she was quite brusque, didn't smile and generally not friendly. She seemed a bit friendlier on my second visit but it's easy to see that it doesn't come naturally for her to smile and be kind and friendly to her patients. She is quite competent at what she does and took care of my problem in a very efficient manner that took mere minutes to remove a couple of lesions. Aside from her rather cool demeanour I find that she is expensive for the procedures not covered by OHIP. I called her office twice to find out in advance what the cost for the removal would be and each time the secretary had no idea what she charges and told me to ask the doctor on my visit. Each time I saw her she reminded me that" you know that this is not covered by OHIP" to which I said yes I understand ,but she did not offer any information as to what the actual cost would be and I felt a little intimidated to ask so I only knew after the fact when she gave the invoice to the secretary to charge me. Frankly I was rather shocked at the high cost for basically a two minute procedure in her office and two bandaids.

flag | Submitted October 30, 2018

Went to her to get some moles checked (since melanoma runs in the family), after waiting literally two hours in the waiting room to see her, she seemed very unfriendly and barely even checked my 'suspicious' moles, she told me to check them on my own. I'm not a doctor by any means, I don't understand why she would tell a patient to check their own moles. Especially when my moles were pretty "irregular" looking. I told her I went there because I wanted them checked by a doctor, since I obviously wouldn't be able to tell if a mole is malicious or not. She seemed annoyed that I kept persisting she check them. Felt like I wasted my time there and got no answers. Overall, really unfriendly and unhelpful experience. Just seemed like she didn't care and wasn't very compassionate about my concerns (mind you, I had lost a family member to skin cancer so I take it seriously). I felt pretty dismissed, never bothered to return. Went straight to search for another derm.

flag | Submitted March 11, 2018

I find Dr. Amin extremely helpful and professional. It took me two years to find a dermatologist after mine retired (after 30 years). She provides the help I need with my ever changing sensitive skin.

flag | Submitted October 31, 2017

I have never dealt with office staff that are so rude. It makes no sense how they run this office - their voicemail actually says we will not call you to reschedule an appt - you need to call us. BUT then when you call they NEVER answer their phones!!! Its so frustrating to deal with this office

flag | Submitted October 18, 2017

Helpful, I really like her. Willing to answer questions and listen.

flag | Submitted September 6, 2017

Dr Amin is the type of doctor everyone wants; she is personable, listens well and of course knowledgable. As mentioned in all the reviews, the reception staff could look to take their game up to a level (or two). It is virtually impossible to get them to answer the phone or return a call (message). I found that it was more efficient to send them a FAX ... who uses a fax anymore? My observation was that only 1 of 3 was actually addressing any clients (if this is Dr. Amin's nurse assistant, She is very nice and pleasant. I can only question where the phone rings or who is in charge of returning phone messages).

flag | Submitted July 19, 2017

I went to Dr. Amin for accutane and she has been great but I've quickly become regretful of selecting her because of the absolute incompetence of her reception staff. I asked my doctor about seeing a dermatologist and she said since I had seen Dr. Amin within a year I would be able to book a follow-up appointment and wouldn't be wait listed. I had two weeks before the end of this timeframe so I called their offices multiple times for those two weeks and left multiple messages but nobody ever picked up the phone and no messages were returned. I continued to call attempting to book an appointment even if I had to be wait listed and they still wouldn't pick up their phone for me even once. I ended up having to get my doctor's office to call them so I could get wait-listed for two months after calling for weeks while I could have made a follow-up if one of the multiple receptionists had simply bothered to pick up the phone or get back to any of my multiple voicemails at least once in the weeks I had been calling. I shouldn't have to ask my doctor's office to call them because they just won't talk to me. It took me leaving three separate voicemails with the number and address of my pharmacy for them to be able to call my prescription in after I finally got my appointment. I was told when I end my pack of accutane to call the office so we could schedule another appointment and get my prescription refilled. I have been calling for days and leaving them multiple messages telling them that my pills were running out and that I needed them to call me back but they haven't once picked up the phone when I call or gotten back to me in any way. Now I have no more of the pills I need to take every day in order for this treatment to work and I can't get any more because they make it impossible to have any contact with their offices and refuse to do their jobs (who else is supposed to facilitate communication with this office?) I find it incredibly hard to believe that with THREE receptionists working there that I can't get an answer on any of their three phones or a call back for weeks and it scares me to know that if I experience any trouble in this treatment that because of their inability to do their jobs I won't be able to reach out to my doctor for help. My treatment should not be impacted by their incompetence. Please turn away while you still can and choose an office that won't ignore you.

flag | Submitted March 16, 2017

Dr. Samita is competent and has decent, bedside/patient manners. The receptionists - all 3 in that office - can be intimidating, and neutral-toned at best. Don t know the reasons for this, Drs office are busy places and yes you do have to deal with patients -who are 'customers' and they have ailments. These ladies should try a day or 2 at fast food service to know how fortunate they are...

flag | Submitted September 19, 2016

Staff could show some effort and smile now and then. One in particular, but don't know her name, needs to brush up on her manners. I found Dr. Amin to be a pleasant and kind person.

flag | Submitted August 11, 2016

Total waste of time. She never seemed happy to see me and looked disinterested when I had questions to ask her. She also said some things that made me wonder if she knew anything about the skin condition I had.

flag | Submitted July 3, 2016