Ratings for Dr. Robert Asselstine

Went in for questions about my mental health. Unfortunately got stuck with an intern. While she was very thorough, she consulted him in his office about giving me a presciption (that i didnt want )he repeatedly told her and the waiting room ( as he had his office door wide open) that I was an alcoholic and had a drug addiction. I might add that at no point did he physically see me, perhaps he's confusing me with someone else, I have no clue. I was shocked as I am neither and i have no idea where he came up with his. I left a complete wreck. A week later I came back for a referral for to a urologist. He grudging sat down with me and the first thing he said to me was "are you coming down?" Evidently he truly thinks I'm some kinda of drug addict despite me seeing him for 8 years and he can see my whole medical history/presciption on his computer. I gave him back the presciption paper, unfilled. And explained that I was looking for answers and possibly a referral to a shrink for anxiety issues, and have ZERO INTEREST in being on anti axiety medication (an addictive narcotic ironically). He lightly apologized for the misunderstanding from the previous week. I'm considering going to request a drug test from him shortly, to shove down his throat before having my paper work transfered out of his office. Followed by legal action for discussing my mental health so openly that several people in the waiting room could hear it so well that i was met with stares as i walked out. So much for patient doctor confidentiality, be careful what you say when your in there and always make sure the dam door is closed. After 8 years of patience with his man I'm looking for a new doctor. This is truly madness. And I wouldn't wish his misguided public humiliation on anyone. I believe my anxiety is actually worse now after this experience.

flag | Submitted November 11, 2015

This isn't my regular family doctor, Dr. Boivin is my regular doctor and she is amazing but I find the office doesn't answer their phone so we end up playing phone tag. I went in because my daughter had a UTI, he didn't know what to prescribe her so he had to look it up in a book, wasn't sure of dosage, was asking me. The one he prescribed when I got to the pharmacy had been out of stock for months - something he should have known about. We finally got a hold of the office(since they rarely answer the phone) and he sent in to the pharmacy a prescription in capsule form, my daughter is 3 and unable to take capsule. The pharmacist had to send him recommendations for a different prescription in liquid form. Still waiting for the prescription to be filled at this time. Will not see this doctor again.

flag | Submitted December 17, 2014

I ended up paying 160$ for a letter because he did not listen to instructions. He charged me 120$ for the letter, a month went by and I realized this letter was never written. He then charged another 40$ and still did not include the details I needed. I refused to pay another 40$ for him to fix it. I had to go see another doctor to get it done and I was not charged at all. The desk staff did not communicate my needs to the doctor properly. I live 45mins outside of the city and work in the city. I needed this letter to get my drivers license back. He delayed my license by a whole month. I was told several times that i would be refunded but then he changed his mind. I also received notes from him saying "if I had typed would have been $20 more cause I don't do secretarial work! Staff do they need to be paid for it. $40 fee no refunds for non OHIP work that keeps me from my family." "I've done this as a favour I was not obliged to help you." I've never been treated so poorly in my life!

flag | Submitted September 3, 2013

I like the fact that when I go into his office, I get answers to my questions with a no nonsense but friendly attitude. He has never treated any of my questions as if they were stupid ones but has answered honestly and explained anything I did not understand. He is my preferred doctor at this clinic.

flag | Submitted May 13, 2013

flag | Submitted January 28, 2013

I plan on finding myself a new doctor when I was asked to come into the office for an ultrasound requisition instead of having the requisition faxed to me. The clinic charges $100 a year to be on a preferencial treatment list if you require these services. I do not agree and therefore not planning to sit 1 1/2 hrs to see the doctor for an ultrasound requisition. I have been a patient of his for over 6 yrs.

flag | Submitted November 13, 2012

I never get to see him I usually see the intern. I always get the feeling he just doesn't want to see me, so he sends me to the intern. I also get the feeling he really doesn't care about my health, I'm in pain, I can't sleep, I am gaining a lot of weight, but oh everything is ok, just get out of here is the message I get. This is the year I am not paying an extra 100.00, this is the year I am getting a new doctor. Surely it can't get any worse than this.

flag | Submitted April 20, 2012

Wow, I can't believe the negative posts here on this doctor and staff. I have found that Dr. Asselstine is a very caring,knowledgeable doctor. He listens and is not afraid to try new approaches. As for the staff, I know how busy they are and yet they are always helpful.

flag | Submitted January 8, 2012

Very no-nonsense and practical, which is helpful. But can make you feel rushed and sometimes the practical attitude can come across as minimizing concerns. Very good with children, especially for unpleasant things like vaccines.

flag | Submitted December 7, 2011

This doctor was very, VERY rude and not willing to explain anything.

flag | Submitted November 25, 2011