Ratings for Dr. Ryojo Akagami

Dr Akagami comes highly regarded, and I can see why. I went into surgery with a positive outlook because I knew I was in good hands, as terrified I was of the surgery to remove my tumour. He is humble, will answer all your questions, patient, precise, and very straight forward. With the risk of 4 major complications I could of had, I was able to walk out of the hospital a day earlier than expected, and the only side effect is slight hearing loss and a bit of off balance - I am optimistic that I will be fine by the end of recovery. My family and I are very happy with the outcome and very grateful for Dr Akagami's skill and precision during the 7 hour surgery. The secretary was very sincere and helpful. The medical team in the OR were very diligent, caring and friendly. Dr Akagami will visit the patient daily in the morning and timely. Let's face it, no one looks forward to having their skull opened up and the brain to be poked at - it's nerve wrecking, especially when one has a young family to care for - but Dr Akagami has proven that successful outcomes do exists with brain surgery. Thank you Dr Akagami!

flag | Submitted June 8, 2017

I flew across the country to have a large Acoustic Neuroma removed by Dr. Akagami, along with Dr. Westerberg. The travel and wait time were totally worth it, as I had a fantastic result with no major complications. Dr. Akagami is also a great communicator and fully answered all my questions both before and after the surgery. Both my family and I are very grateful to Dr. Akagami.

flag | Submitted March 8, 2017

I recently had a tumour removed and throughout my experience, I found Dr. Akagami very personable. He explained everything that was going to happen, not only to mebut to my family.

flag | Submitted March 6, 2016

Dr. Ryojo Akagami is by far the best physician and surgeon one could ask for. I am a 23 year old Cushing's patient, and he surgically removed a tumor from my pituitary gland. My family and I were anxious and nervous after receiving the diagnosis however Dr. Akagami put us at ease with his surgical expertise, knowledge, calming, and understanding personality. His office administrator is very friendly and promptly returns phone calls, and we felt overall very welcomed and accommodated. His office walls are decorated with his certificates of excellency and wonderful and hope giving reviews from former patients and their families! He thoroughly explained the procedure and took the time to answer all of our questions. We knew after meeting him for the first time, he would be the surgeon to free me from this tumor and the disease. At the same time, my specialist and all of the nursing staff repeatedly said that Dr. Akagami is the best. And that is indeed the truth. The weeks leading up to the surgery, our unease was gone and we trusted Dr Akagami fully to perform the procedure. I remember before the surgery, he and his team took the time to meet with me and my family in OR prep and speak with me again. the procedure went flawlessly and he even took the time out of his busy schedule to update my family himself. He is a very professional man who knows what he is doing, how to conduct patient and family care and how to erase any sort of doubt about him. He furthermore frequently checked on me after the surgery at least once a day in the hospital and asked many questions and took time to answer them. Dr. Akagami is truly a blessing to VGH. It has been almost a years since my procedure and last week I had my follow up appointment. He removed all of the tumor and the new MRI images show a 100% clear scan! We cannot be thankful enough. If you were referred to Dr. Akagami and his team, you can call yourself a lucky man or woman. He really put into perspective what really is the most important in life. Thank you Dr. Akagami and all of his team. You gave me great hope!

flag | Submitted June 15, 2015

Pretty sure Dr Akagami is the best doctor in Canada! If you are referred to him, consider yourself lucky. Winning the lottery lucky. He removed a very large AN from my husband in January. We are so beyond blessed, thankful and feel extremely lucy to of been in his presence. Along with Dr Westerberg, who is also an unbelievable doctor in his own right, they had us especially my husband feefeeling 100% confident that everything was going to be just fine. When you're young with young kids, the last thing you want to hear is that you have a brain tumor. These two Doctors gave my husband not only his health back but a new sense of appreciation for the amazing things that can be accomplish when you are in the hands of men like these two. Everyone from the doctors, secretaries, nurses and the team of at least 15 people to pull off this surgery, were amazing beyond words. If you have an Acoustic Nueroma and are sent to Dr Akagami, you need not fear. You're in the best hands imaginable. We cannot thank these people enough. THANK YOU!! :)

flag | Submitted April 8, 2015

Dr. Akagami was the best one I could have asked for to work with Dr.Westerberg to fix my SCDS. It has been a few years now and thank you that my life is good as it is because of what was done by this doctor. Very thorough and explained everything which was nice. Thank You again :)

flag | Submitted February 19, 2015

Honourable Dr. Akagami is god's gift to this world especially to me and my family . I don't know where I should start to thanks Dr. Akagami & Dr. Westerberg Team, I have no words to say . He is Gods angel, messenger of god I could never pay him back. Last month Dec. 02, 2014, He operared and removed my large AN right sided with amazing hands and with his excellent team . He saved my life , I was discharged in 4 days. He is very knowledgeable and extremely skilled in his profession. He clearly explained well with expectations and outcomes to myself before surgery with great patience and care. so by gods grace my recovery is going very well and I am improving. I am so lucky my specialist Honourable Dr. Duncan Anderson Opthamologist sent me to Dr. Akagami and he said that don't worry Dr. Akagami is number 1 in North America so follow him and what he says. The operation to remove the tumour was very successful. what more can I say, we are very fortunate to have this gods angel. I also want to thank his secretary Pat for her kind phone calls. Thanks so very much Dr. Akagami and the team. Your debtor Amanjit S. Randhawa

flag | Submitted January 4, 2015

Dr. Akagami saved my mother's eyesight and possibly her life. She was facing loss of sight, and had pituitary and carotid artery involvement. Weighing the options he explained everything with great patience and care. Then he operated. Her sight has now been completely restored. It is rather miraculous - the retinal specialist is thrilled. Mum's pituitary gland is exposed again and looks unharmed, her carotid artery is no longer involved. The whole family is delighted. Dr. Akagami is an extremely skilled surgeon. He is kind, punctual and interested. We have nothing but good things to report. How fortunate we are to have had the services of Dr. Akagami.

flag | Submitted September 22, 2014

An excellent skilled doctor. Clearly explained expectations and outcomes. Unfortunately his secretary is rude, uncaring, abrupt and makes dealing with his office extremely unpleasant.

flag | Submitted October 15, 2013

My experience with Dr.Akagami was very positive throughout pre and post op surgery. I had a large tumor on my pituitary gland which was related to a disease called acromelagy. The operation to remove the tumor was very successful. I did have a few complications after my release from hospital and Dr. Akagami was very attentive to my care. I even had phone calls at home to ensure I was progressing well! He takes time to show and explain everything. Wonderful doctor!!!

flag | Submitted September 11, 2013