Ratings for Dr. Barry Malcolm

I went with my husband in 2012. B had had a partial discectomy several years before. Dr M looked at an MRI a year old and he and his PT advised a stationary bike despite the fact B was in a lot of pain and his symptoms were now not just arthritis but symptoms of a disc. He did not order a new MRI , shuushed me ( I am a nurse) and bragged to his residents. My B was not a Workmen's Comp case. The local orthopod in Markham ordered a new MRI and found the previous disc was out again. B died of cardiac arrest a month later and I got the news of his app't with the old surgeon the day of the funeral. My husband was not a complainer, was stoic and I wonder how much that pain contributed to his arrythymia. I wouldn't refer a racoon to this man! He should have retired as he is not competent! At least, he doesn't still operate!

flag | Submitted April 30, 2017

I saw Dr Malcolm years ago. He did a fusion on my low back. He is a fantastic Doctor

flag | Submitted March 7, 2017

Many patients see this MD every day, every day, and I have to say that first of all, most of these comments here are unfair. Are you hurt? Are you really injured; be honest in your exam. Can you move your back, twist in full motion and so on; and give your honest symtoms, and your honest full range of motion. DON'T try to sugar coat the situation, or the pain and/or symptoms that you are experiencing. I did see this MD, AND, I was honest, I have full range of motion, BUT... I HURT, here and here; when I do this and this, do I want to go back to work? YES, but not in this kind of pain. I want to go back to work like I was before. Before, this or that happened. Try to fake him out, and you'll be out the door. Don't try to figure out what you should be saying hurts here or there; and don't try to limit motion or ability of the injured area. Just be honest, in what happened to you, how you feel, how you can move, and what hurts and when. Just be honest in what is giong on, and he WILL help you. You may not get what you want, but you WILL get what you need. Try to fake him out, and you won't even get a follow-up. He does know what he's doing...5stars

flag | Submitted March 24, 2015

I saw DR. Malcolm in June 2013. He had a copy of my MRI from April 2012 that said I have a early bulging lumbar disc, but I was now in more pain than a year before which is how this appointment came up. DR. Malcolm just looked at my old MRI and basically said "well this is your life from now on, you will always have pain". I asked about another MRI and he said it would be useless. It was one of the quickest appointments I have ever had (given the nature and severity of my pain) and a complete waste of time. You could tell from the get go he is just in WSIBs pocket and really could care less about the well being of patients. After no change in pain for two more months, another doctor finally ordered me an MRI. Less than a week after my second MRI, I was already in contact with a surgeon to have surgery. I have since had a micro discectomy and am in almost no pain 8 weeks post op. Dr. Malcolm is simply there to tell WSIB what they want to hear.

flag | Submitted January 21, 2014

I wad compelled to see him or my claim was cancelled. He slready had his findings written down and highlighted befote we spoke..he directly stated he was good friends with the accident employer and liked to help him. 14 other doctors, 9 specialists all disqualified hid entire diagnosis and prognisis. I got fired on his midleading report. He also yook my MRI cd without consrnt, refuses to return it. I had to hire a lawyer Dr. Malcoms position has been shot down for years by harvard MIT. If you are forced there you must bring your wife or legal spouse to wittnss so they can help you disqualify your report. I rewrote the consent form now they won't release it to me. He also talked over me and his assistant said things that were false and together they claimed i said them. Anyone want to help pay for the lie detector?

flag | Submitted October 25, 2013

Late for appointment. Interupts assistants questions to patiant. VERY rushed. Thinks he could fully diagnose my back issues by getting me bend forward and back, only once, while he sat approx. 6-7 feet away. I don't think he was in the room 10 minutes total before he hearded me out the door and quit answering questions.I really felt like I wasted time and money being that I flew from NW Ontario to get there.

flag | Submitted January 25, 2013

I found Dr. Malcolm to be extremely fair and upfront. He makes no secret of the fact that he investigates for insurance companies and I knew that was why I was seeing him. I thought that he was very concerned with how I was feeling as well as my serious injury.Perhaps the people who didn't like him had their own agenda to worry about. I think that people with legitimate serious injuries would not have any concerns about him.

flag | Submitted September 10, 2012

I was sent to see the Dr and though he appeared concerned and helpful he said things to me and reported diffrent things to my insurance company.I dont understand how this man can be a DR,The persumed became obvious to me real soon,He goes by DR BARRY MALCOLM MEDICAL CORPORATION.Must I continue, fair and imparshal no he has an agenda and I have yet too find him being helpful to any patient that goes to him thru insurance or WSIB.Removing snippets from conversations is his specialty and formulating a subjective and biased and competely as much as possible negative evaluation of your issue is his forte.Its just pain comes to mind and he likes to tell you how he teaches at the UofT.He has been helping the Insurance companies and WSIB since the 80s. Your best to not see this guy if at all possible.He represents the corporations and their bottom line.I wouldnt take an aspirin from him.

flag | Submitted April 29, 2012

He was rude, rushed and dint listen to me or my concerns. He just wrote his notes for WSIB and dismissed me

flag | Submitted March 27, 2012

I saw the only review and hey Barry Malcolm appears to be as straight up now as when I suffered a serious traumatic event a number of years ago. He'd previously treated me for a serious ankle injury. Everything I was told (no the traumatic event isn't the ankle) is coming true in the time frames I was given. Well if Malcom weren't private I'd be looking for his input again.

flag | Submitted July 7, 2010