Dr. Joel Gelman

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Joel Gelman

Dr. Gelman did a re-do surgery on me for urethral reconstruction after the first surgery, done by a different doctor, was not successful. Dr. Gelman and his staff were amazing and I have nothing but good things to say about them!

flag | Submitted June 16, 2018

Dr. Gelman and his team of caring professionals changed my life. I was suffering for years with a urethral stricture. A previous attempt was made a few years ago using a laser by a different doctor. Unfortunately, that repair was only temporary and the stricture returned. After much suffering, I was referred to Dr. Gelman and sent him an email explaining my condition. The following Sunday morning I received a phone call from Dr. Gelman who spent a half hour talking to me. I was completely shocked and amazed that he took the time to call. That phone call started my journey to where I am today, structure free and finally getting the relief I so desperately needed. If you have a similar condition, do yourself a favor and contact Dr. Gelman.

flag | Submitted June 14, 2018

I had been suffering from major complications resulting from a urethra stricture since I was 16 years-old. I underwent multiple procedures from other doctors that were supposed to act as a short fix to the solution. Unfortunately, those procedures only made matters worse. By the time I met with Dr. Gelman my urethra was almost completely closed shut due to the stricture. It took me forever to go to the bathroom because my bladder was literally emptying drip by drip. Not only was it extremely frustrating, but it was also embarrassing and a huge waste of time. After meeting with Dr. Gelman I was very worried and overwhelmed by the news that I would have to undergo a surgery followed by three weeks of a catheter and recovery. In January, 2018 I underwent a Buccal Mucosal Graft Urethroplasty procedure to fix the stricture once and for all. Now that I have completed the procedure I could not be happier. I have a strong, healthy, WIDE open urethra. I can urinate like a normal young man and no longer make endless trips to the bathroom in attempts to empty my bladder. This procedure was truly life changing and well worth it. I admit that the recovery is a slow, boring process but it involves minimal pain and is well worth it. I just completed my 4 month visit with Dr. Gelman and the surgery was deemed a success. I could not be happier!

flag | Submitted May 31, 2018

After suffering severe urethral injuries as a result of small town medicine, I found myself facing despair and total loss of hope of a normal life. That is when, quite by accident, I found Dr. Joel Gelman. I can say of this man, that he has given me back my life and restored my faith in American medicine. Dr. Gelman is an amazing professional with knowledge and skill far superior to that of any doctor I have previously encountered. In my case he was refreshingly “to the point” regarding my situation and the prospects for recovery – laying out a multi-step program to correct the problems, as well as being perfectly honest about potential problems that might arise. I very much appreciated his “no-nonsense” approach to what he would do and what I should expect. Dr. Gelman and his associate Dr. Tammy Ho, will forever have my utmost gratitude and respect. My review would incomplete without acknowledging Dr. Gelman’s outstanding support staff lead by Denise Calhoun – a lady whom I quickly learned could be absolutely relied upon to “make it happen” as planned. After making multiple trips from another state to California for necessary treatments, I am certain that it was absolutely the right course of action and I am very happy to give my strongest personal recommendation to Dr. Gelman and his entire staff.

flag | Submitted May 27, 2018

I am very appreciative of Dr. Gelman. He performed two surgeries and corrected a problem I had dealt with for many years. I was extremely nervous before undergoing these procedures, as the work was very delicate in nature (Urethral Stricture.) He never made me feel rushed during any of our appointments, and he patiently answered all our questions. The surgeries went remarkably well, and the follow-up care was outstanding. I have never experienced a physician that is so dedicated to his patients’ outcomes. This is no joke and no exaggeration. He is truly committed to everyone under his care, and I felt that my care and outcome was his highest priority. The team that Dr. Gelman has built is second to none. The nursing staff and surgical fellows are caring, organized, and highly skilled. You can see the high standards that Dr. Gelman expects from this team in how they do their jobs. My only regret was not being referred to Dr. Gelman sooner.

flag | Submitted May 17, 2018

My dad came to Dr. Gelman in hopes of remedying complications from a previous TURP procedure. We had visited some doctors before, most of who had suggested methods which would provide only short-term solutions. We are thankful to have been referred to Dr. Gelman. He has wonderful bedside manners and was very clear in his explanations, making sure that we were comfortable with our understanding of what was going on before we left. A urologist had told me that my dad’s surgery was extremely difficult, and not many urologists are successful. However, Dr. Gelman currently has a 95% rate of success with this type of surgery. He is extremely skilled, has excellent bedside manners, genuinely cares for his patients, and his office administrator is amazing. My family and I would highly recommend Dr. Gelman to others.

flag | Submitted August 16, 2017

Having gone through so many urologists, I can say without a doubt that Dr. Gelman is the best urologist anyone will ever be able to find along with Denise and all the staff. Truly fortunate to have found him and have had him as my doctor. I have already made many recommendations and will continue to do so.

flag | Submitted June 30, 2017

Let me start by saying, do not consider having urological surgery by anyone else. By the age of 16, my son had had 4 prior surgeries by the top rated urologic surgeons across the country and he still had the problem. Dr Gelman was the one who finally cured him once and for all and saved him from a future of bladder failure, self-catheterization, embarrassment and potential fertility problems. The man knows what he is doing and is obsessed with results. I like a doctor who is obsessed with results. The thing with urologic surgery is that any urologist will tell you that they can do it, BUT any surgery around the urethra can cause bleeding, which leads to scarring, which, unless performed by a very skilled surgeon, will actually make the problem WORSE over time by blocking the opening even further. And that's the rub. Its a real Catch-22 that we discovered the hard way. One year later and my son is still symptom free, and we believe, cured.

flag | Submitted June 25, 2017

After seeing countless Urologists and having several failed procedures, I was lucky enough to find Dr. Joel Gelman. He and his staff were a pleasure to work with and I felt completely confident that I was receiving the best care available. He performed my surgery flawlessly and I now have my life back. From the initial consultation to post-surgery follow up care, I have never been more pleased. I would never consider another urologist and I live over 1000 miles away. I will gladly make the trip. Dr. Gelman changed my life for the better. James B. from Texas.

flag | Submitted February 27, 2017

After approximately 5 years, multiple trips to the urologist, needless procedures and misdiagnosis or being told that nothing can be done for the urethral stricture we finally received the expert advice, opinion, diagnosis and corrective surgery we had been praying for from Dr. Gelman. From the very first call and reaching his associate, Denise Calhoun we were pleasantly surprised and grateful for the thorough, compassionate and knowledgeable information we received. During the following 6 months she was our lifeline to information about every aspect of the process and procedures that would entail. We travelled from the East Coast (MD) to the West Coast (CA) on three separate occasions. First, to meet with Dr. Gelman for a consultation and diagnosis and the second time for the urethral reconstructive surgery. The second trip we lived in “The Ayres Hotel Orange” a little over a month for recovery. The result, a successful surgery. The third and last visit was for the 4 month follow up. Everything was just perfect. It was worth every minute and every dollar spent to have an exceptional surgeon. We know without a doubt that had we not found Dr. Gelman we would still be suffering and searching for answers. Throughout the entire process and procedure Dr. Gelman displayed confidence, courtesy and was incredibly informative and precise. He is a true expert in his field and a class act. We are so grateful for the excellent care and treatment given by Dr. Gelman, his staff and the hospital. I’m so glad what I was able to find Dr. Gelman’s website. Every detail was accurate. I am sending this review to every site I can think of in order to help others find Dr. Gelman. J. Howes from Maryland

flag | Submitted February 9, 2017

Dr. Joel Gelman's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Gelman is a Professor of Urology and the Director of the Center for Reconstructive Urology in the Department of Urology at the University of California, Irvine. Dr. Gelman completed his Urology Residency at the UCLA Medical Center in 1995 and a Fellowship in Adult and Pediatric Male Genitourinary reconstruction at the Devine Center in Norfolk, Virginia under Dr. Gerald Jordan in 1997. He has performed over 1800 urethral-penile reconstructive surgeries at UC, Irvine over the past 20 years, and his practice has always been limited to his area of expertise in male urethral and penile/genital reconstructive surgery with a focus on urethral stricture disease and penile-scrotal surgery. Dr. Gelman is the Director of a Society of Genitourinary Reconstructive Surgeons (GURS) approved Fellowship program in Male GU Reconstruction at UC, Irvine, and his research interests include both clinical research in urethral stricture disease and Tissue Engineering basic science research. He has presented and published numerous papers on the subject of male reconstructive surgery, including new surgical techniques for urethroplasty, and has served on the Board of Directors of the GURS.

• Med Coll Of Ohio, Toledo Oh 43699 (Grad. 1989)