Ratings for Dr. Joel Gelman

My dad came to Dr. Gelman in hopes of remedying complications from a previous TURP procedure. We had visited some doctors before, most of who had suggested methods which would provide only short-term solutions. We are thankful to have been referred to Dr. Gelman. He has wonderful bedside manners and was very clear in his explanations, making sure that we were comfortable with our understanding of what was going on before we left. A urologist had told me that my dad’s surgery was extremely difficult, and not many urologists are successful. However, Dr. Gelman currently has a 95% rate of success with this type of surgery. He is extremely skilled, has excellent bedside manners, genuinely cares for his patients, and his office administrator is amazing. My family and I would highly recommend Dr. Gelman to others.

flag | Submitted August 16, 2017

Having gone through so many urologists, I can say without a doubt that Dr. Gelman is the best urologist anyone will ever be able to find along with Denise and all the staff. Truly fortunate to have found him and have had him as my doctor. I have already made many recommendations and will continue to do so.

flag | Submitted June 30, 2017

Let me start by saying, do not consider having urological surgery by anyone else. By the age of 16, my son had had 4 prior surgeries by the top rated urologic surgeons across the country and he still had the problem. Dr Gelman was the one who finally cured him once and for all and saved him from a future of bladder failure, self-catheterization, embarrassment and potential fertility problems. The man knows what he is doing and is obsessed with results. I like a doctor who is obsessed with results. The thing with urologic surgery is that any urologist will tell you that they can do it, BUT any surgery around the urethra can cause bleeding, which leads to scarring, which, unless performed by a very skilled surgeon, will actually make the problem WORSE over time by blocking the opening even further. And that's the rub. Its a real Catch-22 that we discovered the hard way. One year later and my son is still symptom free, and we believe, cured.

flag | Submitted June 25, 2017

After seeing countless Urologists and having several failed procedures, I was lucky enough to find Dr. Joel Gelman. He and his staff were a pleasure to work with and I felt completely confident that I was receiving the best care available. He performed my surgery flawlessly and I now have my life back. From the initial consultation to post-surgery follow up care, I have never been more pleased. I would never consider another urologist and I live over 1000 miles away. I will gladly make the trip. Dr. Gelman changed my life for the better. James B. from Texas.

flag | Submitted February 27, 2017

After approximately 5 years, multiple trips to the urologist, needless procedures and misdiagnosis or being told that nothing can be done for the urethral stricture we finally received the expert advice, opinion, diagnosis and corrective surgery we had been praying for from Dr. Gelman. From the very first call and reaching his associate, Denise Calhoun we were pleasantly surprised and grateful for the thorough, compassionate and knowledgeable information we received. During the following 6 months she was our lifeline to information about every aspect of the process and procedures that would entail. We travelled from the East Coast (MD) to the West Coast (CA) on three separate occasions. First, to meet with Dr. Gelman for a consultation and diagnosis and the second time for the urethral reconstructive surgery. The second trip we lived in “The Ayres Hotel Orange” a little over a month for recovery. The result, a successful surgery. The third and last visit was for the 4 month follow up. Everything was just perfect. It was worth every minute and every dollar spent to have an exceptional surgeon. We know without a doubt that had we not found Dr. Gelman we would still be suffering and searching for answers. Throughout the entire process and procedure Dr. Gelman displayed confidence, courtesy and was incredibly informative and precise. He is a true expert in his field and a class act. We are so grateful for the excellent care and treatment given by Dr. Gelman, his staff and the hospital. I’m so glad what I was able to find Dr. Gelman’s website. Every detail was accurate. I am sending this review to every site I can think of in order to help others find Dr. Gelman. J. Howes from Maryland

flag | Submitted February 9, 2017

I am a 50 YO male from Southern California. I suffered a straddle injury (riding a bike) when I was about 7 or 8 years old, and never knew I had an issue until I was in my late teens/early 20’s when I suffered an inability to void. I saw a urologist who asked me if I had any recent injuries to the area and I told him I had no. I completely forgot about the childhood straddle injury and never really gave it much thought until later in life as the problem persisted. Anyway, I was told I likely had a stricture, but no definitive tests were conducted until later in my early 30’s after I came down with a severe UTI. I went in for a cystoscopy and the doctor could not get through the stricture. I ended up in the hospital for several days, and they eventually were able to get a pediatric catheter in me, and then later conducted a direct visual internal cystoscopy (DVIU). This temporarily opened the stricture, but ultimately it caused more damage to me by creating more scar tissue. I was told about the external urethroplasty surgery options, and that I would have to find a specialist of which there were few. My other option was to continue with regular dilation over the course of my life to keep it open. I opted for the frequent dilations. I travelled the world with my job, and lived with the problem. I found urologists wherever I was, showed them my medical records and, went through with the dilations (both Van Buren sounds in the office, and under anesthesia with cystoscope balloon dilators). I did not know it then, but these procedures caused the stricture to worsen. I had severe bleeding several days after the balloon dilation. This landed me in the hospital for a few days, and with a Foley catheter for a total of two weeks. This happened while I lived overseas in the 2007 time-frame. I stopped the dilations after that event and moved back to the United States. I did some research and found Dr. Gelman, as well as several other surgeons on the East Coast where I lived at the time. Being from Southern California I figured I would see Dr. Gelman when I returned to So Cal for a visit. In 2014, I moved back to So Cal and saw Dr. Gelman. He conducted a thorough exam and precisely identified the location and length of my stricture. I explained my history, gave him a copy of medical records, and we talked at length about my options. It was clear to me he was a confident and experienced surgeon, who also possessed superb interpersonal skills. I decided to undergo the surgery. I experienced challenges with my PPO insurance. They did not cover much of my first appointment/tests with Dr. Gelman and I was hit with a rather large bill. I then decided not to undergo the surgery because I feared I could not afford the out of pocket cost. I spoke with Denise, Dr. Gelman’s office manager, about this problem and she engaged on it for me. She asked if I would speak to Dr. Gelman about my financial concerns. Dr. Gelman called me and we discussed costs and options if my insurance paid some, all, or nothing for the procedure. He offered me a very manageable proposal in the event my insurance refused to pay. This put me at ease and I decided to go through with the surgery. Ultimately my insurance covered most of the procedure, as well as they revisited my dispute with them regarding my first appointment with Dr. Gelman (which they ultimately paid). This was due to Denise and Dr. Gelman’s communication with my insurance company. So, the end result was I had the urethroplasty with a buccal mucosa graft for a 4cm anterior bulbar stricture. Dr. Gelman performed the surgery and his Fellow (Dr. Eric Wisenbaugh) assisted. I am five weeks post-op as of this writing, and I am extremely pleased with the results. The recovery is no walk in the park, but I was frontloaded with information from Dr. Gelman and Dr. Wisenbaugh regarding what to expect and what to do. All has gone accoridng to plan. I had a three day stay at the UC Irvine Hospital. The staff there was exceptional. Many of the nurses had previously cared for Dr. Gelman’s patients, so they knew the care protocol. Like many before me, I regret I waited for all those years to have the surgery. I feared the outcome, the recovery, the trauma, and I was apprehensive about finding the right surgeon. Dr. Gelman clearly dominates this sub-specialty. My ability to urinate freely and forcefully feels miraculous. I am happy Dr. Gelman is training urologists like Dr. Wisenbaugh to master this sub-specialty. If you are considering having this done, I urge you to consult with Dr. Gelman. He is a peer recognized expert in the field. My life has changed for the better & I understand why patients come to him from all over the world. I encourage patients to visit the website www.centerforreconstructiveurology.org and view the patient videos. Find your problem, and then watch a video. It will let you know your problem is not unique and give you hope.

flag | Submitted October 21, 2015

Best medical experience. So professional. Surgery went very well. Always followed up after each appointment. Wonderful. Truly wish we would have found him sooner. My husband suffered for 8 years and countless other urologists. So thankful for Dr Gelman and Denise plus the entire staff! We traveled for this surgery and we literally could not have asked for a better experience.

flag | Submitted October 15, 2015

Dr. Gelman is simply the very best. He has given my life back to me. As of June 8, 2014, I am 5 weeks post surgery and dodging GREAT. Wish I had surgery sooner. His entire staff (especially Denise) is outstanding. Shalom!

flag | Submitted June 8, 2014

The reason Dr Gelman is amazing is the quality of his work, care, and attention to detail. For me that was the most important. However in addition, Dr Gelman and his staff surprisingly made the entire experience "pain free". My expectation of reconstructive surgery and memories of my first surgery as a child was that pain would be involved. Dr Gelman's staff is incredible starting with Denise. Throughout all of my appointments, Dr Gelman and his staff were always on time and thorough. Dr Gelman is honest and sets the appropriate expectations. I give Dr Gelman and his staff my highest recommendation. The reconstructive surgery he performed changed my life! I feel so lucky to have found him. I wish every doctor performed at the same level as Dr Gelman. He is the benchmark for the best in the medical field.

flag | Submitted January 12, 2014

I suffered my adult life with a urethral structure. Dr. Gelman reconstructed my urethra. Dr. Gelman did, what no other surgeon could do. I had several failed reconstruction surgeries in the past by Dr's that should not have been attempting such procedures. Dr. Gelman's skill, confidence, knowledge, and ability is second to none. I cannot put my suffering into words. I've had many infections. Septic blood infections caused by catheters by treatment by incapable Drs., Claiming to know what they're doing. I've had long stays in the hospital fighting sepsis with IV antibiotics. I wish I found Dr. Gelman years sooner than I did. I did not suffer or have pain at all under Dr. Gelmans care. I prayed to God for a Miracle and God answered me with Dr. Gelman. Dr. Gelman improved my quality of life. I can never thank Dr. Gelman enough. If You, or a Loved one is suffering with a urethral problem, please do not let another surgeon attempt to operate, gain experience, or learn at your expense.

flag | Submitted December 12, 2013

Dr. Joel Gelman's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

• Med Coll Of Ohio, Toledo Oh 43699 (Grad. 1989)