Ratings for Dr. Richmond SY

I am the Admin who left on May 2nd. This was due to health reasons and nothing else. Dr. Sy is a great doctor, very knowledgeable and a pleasure to work for. I miss some of our patients a whole lot, especially Lawrence, J.W. with the beautiful voice, B.M. who is so kind as well as the spouse. I do sincerely apologize for leaving so suddenly.

flag | Submitted December 21, 2018

It took this goof ball to finally give me a stool sample and here it was c diff toxin b. He gave me a colonoscopy and endescope while fully awake. After that wrote me off as functional diarrhea and would have to take codeine for the rest of my life. The c diff has left damage in my intestines and he tried to say that he saw nothing there yet the endescope and colonoscopy was done before I had the c diff. Eight months later I have the worse pain and diarrhea that he's too lazy to check. He was also ticked off because I had a small intestinal bacterial infection test done at another hospital which was positive. He asked who gave my doctor permission to do the test and I said I did. He then said small intestinal bacterial infection isn't really an accurate test and that Ottawa hospital doesn't do it. I asked then why does Kingston hospital do it and why is there a medicine made specifically for this infection. He threw his papers on the table and said fine I'll write you out the prescription but you'll have to be on this antibiotic for the rest of your life. He said I was challenging his knowledge. He laughed at me when I had the first sibo test done in the States and laughed at me and said I hope you didn't pay much for that test and asked if I even knew how to read it. So I waited six months before I had the other test done to confirm my the first test. I am in alot of pain and have decided to go to Kingston because of how he has treated me and he won't help me to try and get in quicker by referring me over to Kingston. His secretary had walked out on him leaving him back logged and in need of a new secretary so I had a long waiting time to get in to see him again all the while I had c diff. He knew I had two thirds of my liver removed due to cancer and gallbladder out and treated me horrible because he doesn't know how to help me. I complained to patient advocasy but got no help so far yet they tell you to go to emerge if I am in pain. That they never want anyone to ever not feel they can't come to Ottawa hospital yet when you go to emerge they tell me I am complicated and out of their scope. That I need a specialist and that they will send Dr Sy a note stating to see me because they can't help me. And he still takes his time in trying to help me. Going on a year and a half with nonstop diarrhea and a pain all down my right side with sores on the annus. I'm afraid this is some form of colitis and he knows it and doesn't want to admit he screwed up by not going back in and seeing the damage. His manners are disgusting to say the least. Run from this doctor.

flag | Submitted November 7, 2018

Dr. Sy cares very much for his patients. he shows a lot of empathy. love him!

flag | Submitted November 1, 2018

always feel rushed. they take long to see patient

flag | Submitted June 16, 2018

I have been a patient of Dr. Sy's for almost 10 years now and I have always had a great experience with him. He listens, explains everything clearly, is thorough, humorous, and has a great bedside manner. He is very easy to talk to and makes you feel very comfortable, even during a colonoscopy! His staff are all excellent as well, especially Heather!

flag | Submitted May 31, 2018

I have had several colonoscopies with Dr Sy and found him to be very professional, caring and easy to talk to. He has a great bedside manner . The worst part of the whole procedure for me is drinking the cleansing solution . In my books he gets top marks. Frances

flag | Submitted April 15, 2018

I had a colonoscopy done, and the whole thing was done in a timely manner, and professionally from support staff to medical staff. The communication was good, and each step was laid out for me, so I always knew what was going to happen next. They even had an extra blanket for me because I was cold. Going in, I was a little nervous because of the older comments on this thread, but the clinic that Dr. Sy is currently at have anaesthesiologists, so better sedatives can be used during the procedure. Dr. Rastogi, was my anaesthesiologist and explained to me that when there aren't anaesthesiologists at a clinic, doctors must rely on sedatives that are not as strong. I think this accounts for why older comments are less favourable. As far as colonoscopies go, this was a good experience, and was better than the other two times that I have had to have this procedure.

flag | Submitted January 16, 2018

Dr Sy is amazing.. i have been seeing him for 6 years.. my husband for 9 years.. he knows what he is doing, he is personable, he is smart and he is dedicated. yes sometimes you have to wait, but if he is in with you and you have issues, would you want him to rush your appointment to get out to the next person, or do you want him to listen to you and take the time he needs to be with you. ... as for Carol she is amazing at her job and they are a great team. I would never go anywhere else.

flag | Submitted January 15, 2018

Great doctor/gastroenterologist. Very knowledgeable in his field.

flag | Submitted January 10, 2018

Dr. Sy is extremely knowledgeable and I wouldn't hesitate to enlist his services

flag | Submitted December 18, 2017