Ratings for Dr. Richmond SY

I’ve been seeing Dr Sy for over 5 years and he was SO KIND, listens to your concerns and really works WITH you to find solutions you are comfortable with. His research is incredible too and although sometimes he runs late - I would recommend him a thousand times over.

flag | Submitted November 29, 2017

Dr. Sy was professional, courteous and informative. It was my first ever colonoscopy and I was slightly apprehensive. Him and his staff made me feel welcome, comfortable an at ease. I am so glad my family doctor referred me here. If there is one complaint, the lady at the front desk was pretty dismissive.

flag | Submitted January 14, 2017

Just finished my first consult with Dr. Sy, having been referred to GI for a chronic eye problem that might be related to GI disease. The nurse was very kind, took my bp amd weight and had a very nice manner. Thr med student took my history, asked a comprehensive set of questions and then reported to Dr.Sy, who then discussed my case with him in detail (I could hear them through the door). They then both came in to the room and Dr. Sy discussed my case with me, clearly outlining the reasons for my referral to GI and going over his plan to investigate my condition. He detalied who would call me for follow up procedures and where I was responsible to take further steps. He was thorough, unhurried, and gave me time to ask questions. He had a very kind manner and was professional and respectful. I'm writing this review because I'd read other reviews on this site while waiting for my appt and I was a bit apprehensive based on the negative reviews. My experience was much closer to the positive experiences posted here.

flag | Submitted March 21, 2016

I have seen GI specialists all over the country since we've moved around a lot. Dr. Sy is one of the good ones. He has been following me since 2010, when I urgently needed a resection. He is professional and takes my concerns seriously, provides thoughtful answers to all my questions and is committed to finding solutions when treatments aren't working. Both the G.I. nurse, Heather, and Carole, his admin assistant, always return my calls within a day. I would recommend him.

flag | Submitted October 20, 2015

Carole is wonderful - be polite and to the point and you'll have no issues EVER with her. And remember she does NOT control what Dr Sy does or doesn't do

flag | Submitted October 7, 2015

In response to complaints: I do not smoke, I do not take lunch breaks. I work Monday to Friday through breaks and lunch. (Fridays are for paperwork/filing/getting charts ready etc.... I start at 6:30 a.m. and I finish at 3:00. I always call patients back and I keep a log. Are you picking up your messages?? As well make sure that the registration office on the 2nd floor at the General has all your correct demographics as I don't have access to do these changes in the hospital system, soI have a lot of wrong #'s . I handle over 150 calls per week plus bookings for an extremely busy practice. Dr. Sy is excellent in what he does and has always been fair to everyone including me. Please remember that we are not an urgent care clinic. If you can't obtain an appointment urgently and you have a pressing medical issue please go the Emergency. Carole

flag | Submitted October 2, 2015

I was a patient of Dr. Sy for about a year. it was a horrific experience. He tended not to listen to what I had to say. When I asked about pain management for my chronic disease he just shrugged. The colonoscopy he preformed on me was INCREDIBLY painful. I asked three times for him to stop and he refused. Afterwards he shrugged and said 'I hoped you wouldn't remember.' Two of the three scopes he performed I was under-sedated and in a lot of pain. And crying. Even when I told him to stop, he told me he was going to precede anyway. The third scope I had with him I had asked him what we were going to do differently since the past two scopes had gone so badly and he offered no solutions so I did research and found a drug that may work better than the ones he used. I had to beg him to write the persciption and he went on about how dangerous this drug was, way more dangerous that the procedure. ( a barbiturate as opposed to a benodiazapine) the frustrating part is why am I doing this? I'm not a doctor. The sedation he was using was clearing not working and he wa not inclined to remedy the situation. I have waited for Dr. Sy for up to 90 minutes. Never apologizes for the wait. I guess I was suppose to be grateful I was being seen at all. He usually passed me off to his students during my clinic visits. He would say 'I need to see you back in two months' but of course there were no appointments actually available, and he wouldn't actually be seeing me. I was always regiving my medical history to these students. There was no continuity to my treatment because I was alway seeing a different student. The last time he came in during my appointment with yet another student he told me he was going to do another scope. I started to panic and asked about getting an anathestiologist, because of my passed horrific experiences and he turned he said "don't worry about it." Turned his back and left as I as still trying to talk to him. After that last appointment I decided to change to another doctor. Carol, his receptionist screens all calls via answering machine, and if you need an appointment the front desk reception usually can't help so you must call Carol and leave a message. And then wait by the phone, hoping for call back. Frustrating. I wouldn't recommend this doctor, especially if you are sick and need help.

flag | Submitted May 17, 2015

In the beginning I felt like I was in good hands but as time went on and I got sicker, I felt that Dr. Sy was not listening to what I was telling him about my symptoms. For one appointment I told him I had lost a lot a weight and he looked surprised and asked me how much! He did not even bother to look at my chart and the notes the nurse that just given him. So due to his lack of attention to how sick I was I had to be hospitalized and never once did he check in on me nor did he call me after I was discharged to check in.

flag | Submitted April 17, 2015

A+ care and service. Would recommend to anyone.

flag | Submitted March 27, 2015

Dr. Sy delivers excellent compassionate care to his patients. I have been seeing him for several years for Crohn's. He knows how to manage my symptoms with a balance of medication and diet. He answers all my questions in a kindly manner when I see him in the clinic and in the colonoscopy room. I never leave wondering about what's wrong with me. He does a good job scoping me. He gives me a good dose of sedation so it doesn't hurt too much when he advances the colonoscope gently through my colon which is good because I am very nervous and anxious when it comes to this kind of scary procedure . He takes his time about it which is good because he catches all the problems and fixes what he can. What he can't he tells you. He is a straight shooter. The nurses he works with are all wonderful and very professional. They make me feel vey comfortable and calm before and during the scoping. So I have no problem strongly recommending him and his team to other Crohn's patients.

flag | Submitted December 11, 2014