Ratings for Dr. David Maberley

Unacceptably long wait, little in the way of explanations, and an utter lack of compassion. I read many 5 star posts before visiting him, and have to wonder if I was seeing the right doctor (whom I unfortunately was).

flag | Submitted July 8, 2017

I have seen Dr David Maberley several times over the years ( about a decade). I have always found his staff very courteous, helpful and professional. My experiences on my visits with Dr Maberly were always excellent. I have always received with respect and courtesy. The care I received were always superb and I never had anything to complain about. I have seen respectful professionalism given to others. I have no hesitation in recommending Dr David Maberley to others. Dr Maberley will continue to be my ophthalmologist in the coming years. Seelochan Beharry Ph.D Author: The Prehistories of Baseball ( 2016)

flag | Submitted June 23, 2017

I lost my vision in my left eye because of Dr Maberley. He arrogantly believes that the world revolves around him and his practice, even at the expense of his patient's vision. I had an eye emergency and was unfortunate enough to see this doctor on call. He hides behind his "I'm very busy, and very have an abrupt bedside manner because I am an expert and can save your vision" rhetoric. In fact, I was referred emergently to see him from one of his close colleagues because I needed a retina detachment repair within hours according to my doctor. My doctor reassured me that Dr Maberley knew my situation. What transpired was one of the worst experiences in BC health care that I have ever experienced. First off, no one knew who I was when I registered at the hospital for my emergency appointment. Then, I spent hours waiting to see Dr Maberley but instead saw his "fellow" doctor instead. The fellow doctor relayed the information to Dr Maberley but instead of having surgery within hours, I had to wait until the next evening to have surgery. I met Dr Maberley just before he cut my eye open. He did not exam me, but I am assuming he relied on his junior doctor's report. After surgery, I was told that there was too much damage, and I waited too long for surgery. Really? Why didn't Dr Maberley see me himself while I was in the hospital to assess how urgently I needed surgery? His colleague assured me if I could get a repair within hours I would be fine. Why didn't I have surgery on Saturday instead of Sunday? Dr. Maberley is either too busy or too lazy to check patients requiring emergency surgery. When I asked him personally why I did not get the surgery a day earlier, he was nonchalant about one of the biggest losses of my life. Dr Maberley, I am fortunate enough to have not lost a parent, or child during my time on this planet. I did however, feel as if I lost my most important sense because you did not feel like my case was urgent enough for you to see in the middle of the night. Is blindness really worth 50 seconds of your time?

flag | Submitted May 30, 2017

I am from out of town, Dr Maberley saw me on a holiday weekend for a complex retinal detachment which is considered an emergency - I asked him to give me the information to me straight up as all of this was new to me and a surprise - and that's what he does. If you are going to lose your sight, there is no other way to tell you than to lay it all on the table - he gave me all the information about my issue and potential outcomes, but in reality, they don't really know - eye issues are a wait and see game - pardon the pun. The good news for me is that after 3 more surgeries to follow up the initial surgery he did to save my sight, I went from 20/400 to 20/40 and am thankful for his quick action getting me through emergency surgery and on my way to my home. Yes he is busy, but I felt I was in expert hands!

flag | Submitted May 11, 2017

I have been seeing Dr Maberley for 3 years and am glad that someone recently felt the same way about his care. I hate the way he looks at me. It creeps me out and I am glad that at least someone else feels the same way.

flag | Submitted May 6, 2017

After my office experience with Dr Maberley this week, I would not expect him to be my friend, nor my surgeon. He is arrogant, too busy to care about my questions regarding timeline of his treatments, and aloof. I will definitely be seeking another opinion from a doctor who actually values my time as much as theirs.

flag | Submitted May 5, 2017

I am a very active 70 year old retired Paramedic who started to have visual difficulty about 5 years ago due to epi-retinal membrane issues. Dr. Maberley listened very well to my complaints and history, fast-tracked me to surgical intervention for my visual issues as they became evident, and arranged timely post operative follow-up for my convenience. As result of his expertise I now enjoy 20-20 vision in both eyes for the first time in my life. Additional follow-up with associated specialists has prompted comments of surprise and praise for Dr. Maberley's successful intervention. I have spent a career dealing with many physicians with objectivity sharing findings and information. Dr. Maberley lived up to every one of my expectations in my consultation with him. I see there are some comments regarding punctuality and attitude. He is a very busy man with an extremely busy office. Expect to be dealt with in the same way I experienced but do not expect to become 'best friends'. Thank you Dr. Maberley for your professional and objective approach. You have made a huge difference in the way I live my life.

flag | Submitted May 5, 2017

I hope all who read this heed this rating as a warning. He was terribly rude to my father who had a retinal detachment, spent all but 2 minutes with him and told him we was going to lose his eye. He then made inappropriate and suggestive comments to me as I confronted him in private regarding his behavior. I have already started a complaint to the College. DO NOT SEE THIS DOCTOR.

flag | Submitted May 4, 2017

fully recommend this specialist. I had only very positive experiences over the last 18 years

flag | Submitted October 7, 2016

Can't rate him yet on the surgery which will take place next month But the consultation went well; puts you at ease and shows and explain it in a way you can understand

flag | Submitted May 31, 2016