Ratings for Dr. Markel L. Owens

Love this Doctor very compassionate about her work!!

flag | Submitted November 25, 2015

I had previously been going to another Women's Health provider in Maryville, IL, but switched to Dr. Owens' office because I had a very negative experience at the other place after having a missed miscarriage earlier this year. It has been like night and day, regarding the kindness, caring, and professionalism I have experienced since switching to Dr. Owens' office. Dr. Owens actually sat down and got to know me. I feel like she really took time with me to answer my questions. She has this way about her that completely puts you at ease and makes you feel like you are important to her. She also did some blood work and testing early in my pregnancy, which the other office did not do. The staff has been wonderful as well- they always return my calls promptly and have been very caring and compassionate. I feel like they truly care there and am very, very happy I made the switch to Dr. Owens.

flag | Submitted June 29, 2015

I used Dr. Owens for two years through the birth of my first child. The office staff was consistently unorganized and rude. It often took 4 hour to return my phone calls and it usually took multiple calls to get answers to my questions. I felt generally uninformed about my natal care. Once I was admitted to the hospital for the birth the ob nurses at anderson hospital did not appear to have a positive opinion of her care. I was told that she had been called multiple times an hour before I delivered and that she had not responded. She finally showed up litrally seconds before my child was born. I have since changed doctors.

flag | Submitted May 18, 2013

Dr Owens is a good dr. I think she is just as good as any other but I wouldn't say over the top. There were time I felt like I was being rushed, but being an obgyn I get it. However, I do not agree with no one returning calls. I do have to leave a message when in all but they are typically vy fast in returning them. The drs are also very good at returning phone calls when they are on call! The staff (in maryville) is a hit or miss some of them are nice others always seem to be having a bad day.

flag | Submitted January 4, 2013

Not the best doctor I've ever seen but she is decent.My gripe is with her rude and innattentive office staff.I was diagnosed with cancer and the surgery scheduler told me I should have turned in my disablitly forms a month earlier. I said I didn't have a month's notice before my surgery she said well legally we have a month to get this done so we don't have to do this for you right now. Someone else in the office did it but she has no business working with the public. The staff is also forgetful and disorganized as I have went in for lab results that weren't there and received bills for things I was told I didn't owe. I will be finding another doctor, thanks entirely to the office staff.

flag | Submitted July 9, 2012

I love Dr.Owens, she makes you feel very comfortable. The nurses are great and call me often to make sure I'm well informed on test etc. My only issue is that the receptionist always has her window closed(she never sees when you enter and leaves you waiting). I've started just opening it myself when I get there:)

flag | Submitted August 3, 2011

I love her she the greatest..she helped me coat wit my miscarriage n told me the odds of havin another baby was possible n she also ran a lot of much needed test on me thanx DR. OWENS you the greatest

flag | Submitted June 29, 2011

Upon my visit, she (dr.) seemed very helpful, but I have received very inconsistent results with the office staff- unprofessional in person and on the phone. I went in to pay a bill and had to sit for 15 or so minutes. The girl behind the glass never gave me time to explain why I was there, and I was almost late picking up my son, which would have cost me a late pick-up fee.Not to mention a long phone tree b/f talking to a live person. Complete lax in follow-up mammogram test result information. I received the lab results, but the dr. kept asking me what they were. It took 6 months for the doctor to clear up. Patients can't receive blood tests upon request for various inconsitant reasons: Illoins law, HIPPA, another being they don't like mailing private information and you pay for copies, but they are happy to fax test results. Only, I had to follow up several times, because they don't always follow through.I would not recommend this practice.

flag | Submitted May 6, 2011

I cannot express enough how awful this experience was for me. I had an ectopic pregnancy and while i was continually going back to get my hcg levels checked to ensure everything was back to normal, i was given another patients results. i went a month thinking that my situation was taken care of, only to get a letter (no phone call) informing me that i needed to come back and because i had missed my blood draws. i was never contacted or anything. i have spent the last 4 months trying to get an answer from doctor owens and her staff. after multiple unreturned phone calls, letters and promises to "get to the bottom of this" i have finally given up. i would never recommend her office to ANYONE.

flag | Submitted April 6, 2011

After my first visit to this office, I had numerous questions regarding the prescription and the side effects. I called and was told that the side effects that I was experiencing were normal. However, after researching online, I find out that many other women were having the same side effects and their doctors gave them different meds. After that everytime I have called the office I had to leave a message, very rarely was I able to talk to a human being. They never returned messages. Even when I tried to cancel my next appointment, I couldn't get a single person on the phone no matter what time of day I called.

flag | Submitted February 16, 2011

Dr. Markel L. Owens's Credentials

• Saint Louis University School Of Medicine (Grad. 2005)

• BCBS Massachusetts