Ratings for Dr. Herbert Ballantine Carter

Dr. Carter was excellent. He met with my wife and I and clearly knew what he was talking about. He is a serious, competent surgeon and researcher. I would recommend him over anyone. He is still in touch with me 3 years later.

flag | Submitted June 20, 2010

After being diagnosed on 9/11/2007 by a Richmond VA Urologist that had the personality and bedside manner of a toad, we made an appointment with Dr. Carter. We arrived at 8am the following Wednesday for the consultation. After a brief examination,and having looked at my records he assured us that if I had the surgery, I would be cured. We elected to proceed, I was given an 18 page list of his references. I called 3 0f them, got glowing results. He put me on a strict diet to lose 15 lbs in 2 1/2 months. He saw me the afternoon before the surgery and was reassuring. The day of surgery he came in for a few minutes to speak with me. After the surgery, he spoke with my wife and assured her that all went well. He came by that evening at dinner time and told me not to eat too much. He came by in the morning and again that evening. Always positive. Was there the morning that I was discharged. I called him at home on a Sat evening. He returned call at 11 pm. What a wonderful DR.

flag | Submitted May 16, 2010

Dr Ballantine clearly did not read the information we had provided prior to our visit. He spent all of 15 minutes with us, and at the end, pronounced that surgery was not an option, but we should pursue radiation for prostate cancer. He would not recommend a radiation oncologist, or provide and further direction or counsel regarding next steps for my prostate cancer treatment. My wife and I left feeling that he had not taken me or us seriously, and had not served us well, despite his 'famous' reputation. I cannot in good conscience recommend him as a physician.

flag | Submitted December 14, 2009

Dr. Herbert Ballantine Carter's Credentials

• Medical University Of South Carolina College Of Medicine (Grad. 1981)