Ratings for Dr. Martin Sutton-Brown

Very grateful to Dr Suttonbrown for his patient and thorough neuro-ophthalmological assessment. He listened carefully throughout, while taking a detailed history. He was generous with time for teaching and answering questions. He examined for, and arranged further investigation for, a serious problem another ophthalmologist had recently emphatically dismissed. Waits are understandable and most certainly worth it for this specialist!!

flag | Submitted January 27, 2017

My experiences with this man have been nothing short of a disaster. After a life changing injury I was sent to see the doctor in Nanaimo. I had a scheduled 11:00 appointment, I didn't get in to see him until 12:50 p.m. He was actively picking food from his teeth as we met. ( He had gone out for lunch ) His demeanour is very cold, he has no empathy for what you are going through. Zero bed side manners whatsoever. If I would ask a question or perhaps suggest something, he would look over his glasses at you with a puzzled look, like you are the stupidest person alive. He fancies himself as a " wordsmith " and enjoys throwing in medical terminology without any explanation as to its meaning. At one point, when i asked him of my chances of ever driving again, he actually sneered and held up his hands and asked me " how many fingers am I holding up?" When I couldn't answer, he had a very defiant grin on his face. We had a phone consultation scheduled on a particular day, and his staff called me and told me to wait by the phone between 1-5 pm. You guessed it, he never called. On the last visit that I had with him, he didn't know what I was there for. He had to look at my chart to remind himself what I was doing in his office. He then directed me down the hall to another room where a lady was, and he said to me " this lady will help you. Sorry what was your name again? " She told him her name and she was very, visibly annoyed by this. Later on I asked him "surely there is something that can be done to help strengthen my diminished vision, exercises, or therapy. A guy has to have hope." His exact words, " I don't deal in hope, or magic , or voodoo, or prayer. I deal in science." I understand it's probably a tough thing, dealing with people who are sick or injured,, and it must be hard to be the bearer of bad news all the time. However, rather than suggesting to his clients "perhaps you can discuss your concerns and fears with a therapist," he may want to consider his option for himself.

flag | Submitted November 14, 2016

I have had appointments with Mr Brown before, went okay nothing special. Last week when i was there his facial expressions were almost like he didn't understand what I was saying or perhaps speaking another language. I have seen and dealt with many doctors before, and some are very good, and some have no bedside manners. I understand, doctors are busy people it's become a business now, all about the money, so sad. Hopefully, he was just having a bad day, power went out etc hello it's not the patients fault. You are a doctor, keep it professional. Then again he didn't have very good reviews, sorry to see.

flag | Submitted October 17, 2016

I will never recommend this doctor. He was dismissive and rude after my husband experienced permanent vision loss. He even told us to stop asking questions and just get over what happened, he was tired of having the same conversation with us every time we saw him. He never offered anything helpful nor did he understand our urgency to protect the partial vision that remained for my husband. Don't go to this doctor, you will be wasting your time.

flag | Submitted July 13, 2016

I will never recommend this doctor to anyone, dismissed everything I said and asked. I would love for him to be in pain and then have to go see someone like him for an answer. total waste my time!

flag | Submitted July 6, 2016

Odd that this extremely competent man feels he needs to be dismissive and unpleasant with patients. One wonders what his story is.

flag | Submitted July 4, 2016

We would not recommend this doctor. Waited 2.5 hours to be seen in November. Waited weeks to be called up for follow-up. Was told to wait at home between 1-5pm for phone call from doctor. Never happened. We have had contact with many doctors/specialists over the years...this physician is a pass.

flag | Submitted February 3, 2016

I was referred to Dr. Sutton-Brown after a lengthy hospital stay. He was a friendly man, however, he dismissed any of my symptoms that did not fit into a perfect diagnostic criteria category. I was desperately searching for answers after my life came to a complete stop at a young age from a rare illness. Unfortunately, Dr. Sutton-Brown couldn't provide me with answers, but he also didn't try to search for possibly explanations that could explain my strange and rare symptoms. Just because you do not understand a symptom or haven't seen it like this before, does not mean the patient is crazy (he wanted to refer me to a psychologist) or that these symptoms didn't exist. Eventually, after receiving a formal diagnosis elsewhere, he believed my symptoms but could only help treat epileptic symptoms within his comfort zone.

flag | Submitted June 15, 2015

My husband had an appointment back in Sept. of 2014 and we waited close to 6 months for a follow-up. My husband called the office twice to ask politely what was going on and they never called him back. He finally got a phone call and has an MRI scheduled. His office staff is extremely rude and inefficient. Go somewhere else.

flag | Submitted March 24, 2015

I had my first meeting with Dr. Brown September of 2014, at the Jimmy Patterson Out Patient Center in Surrey, I found the staff to be a breath of fresh air!! Very pleasant and informative, Dr. Brown was very thorough in our first meeting, arranging many tests and prescribed medication with a detailed explanation for it all, I am forever grateful that he pushed me to push my Family Doctor to check out a lump in my neck, my family doctor dismissed it, but he made sure a biopsy was done, it was cancer, Thank you Dr. Sutton-Brown! Terrific, thorough and caring specialist!!

flag | Submitted February 24, 2015