Ratings for Dr. John K. Stokes

Dr. Stokes is great! I had back surgery with another doctor that put me in worse shape than I was before surgery. I could barely walk, and had terrible nerve pain in my back and down my left hip and leg to my shin. He also discovered a fracture in one of my vertebrae that was most likely caused by the previous doctor. I saw 5 doctors and chose Dr. Stokes as he was the most thorough, down to earth, and upfront with what needed to be done (L4-L5 fusion). It wasn't easy, but Dr. Stokes and his staff were there every step of the way. I am now 6 months post opp and doing great. Thank you Dr. Stokes for giving me my life back.

flag | Submitted November 11, 2016

Polite? I would hardly call the service I received there even close to polite! Dr. Stokes was the doctor I was referred to. He stated that "I didn't need surgery...would set me up with a pain management specialist...no further need for action." Really? I went to another doctor 2 weeks later in so much pain, I was scarcely able to move. I learned 2 weeks later, after a Myelogram that I have Spinal Stenosis, a ruptured disc, a bone spur, and a few other new vocabulary terms that currently escape me. The only way out of this IS surgery. I have already been doing physical therapy, the shots, TENS unit, water therapy, etc. Mind you, this doctor never saw me nor did he give me reasons behind his rational. Just, "You are not a surgery candidate.", which was shared with me via an email and not from him. What did he base this on? Old scans. The Myelogram had not yet been performed. How does 1 make a judgement w/o first examining the pt? Recent pics? Anything? I would not recommend this doctor.

flag | Submitted June 3, 2014

Very Knowledgeable and thorough.

flag | Submitted December 11, 2009

Dr. John K. Stokes's Credentials

• University Of Texas Medical School At San Antonio (Grad. 1995)

HIP