Ratings for Dr. Sharon L. Metcalf

I've read the problems some have had with Dr. Metcalf and I have to say I found the complete opposite. I've only been going to her (yearly) for 4 years but I've found her to be interested, engaged, concerned and willing to share parts of her personal life with me. I am past the childbearing age so maybe that makes a difference - but don't know that it should. I would certainly recommend her.

flag | Submitted October 16, 2012

She does not get to know her patients, even when she sees them every couple of weeks for prenatal care, and is very close minded. Not much of a personality. You would think you were seeing two different doctors with her split personality. She never asks if I have any question and is always in a rush.

flag | Submitted October 13, 2010

She was not very patient with my 19 yr old daughter pregnant for the first time. Test results were missed from another specialist. She was told she needed to be monitored closely because of possible preeclampsia. But she never read the note from the other dr. I had to tell her about it myself. Visits were to be 2 weeks at her 24th week. She went into labor in Feb, the cause seemed to be a UTI. She was given drugs to stop labor and a steroid to develop my grandsons lungs. She was released and not monitored. 3 weeks later we went to her regular visit and no heartbeat. She wanted her to wait until the following week to be induced, because it would be convenient for her. We got her in the next day and my stillborn grandson was born. Today we got the autopsy and he was completely normal. This should not have happened. She needed to be more personal and caring and should have taken my daughter more seriously. I would not recommend her.

flag | Submitted April 15, 2010

She delivered my baby at St. Francis Hospital. I was not all that thrilled with the experience. She would not come to the hospital until I had started pushing. The nurses had me pushing while we waited for her to come (from her home). Then after the c-section, she left within minutes to go home, not even realizing my baby was in serious condition. She really does not have much personality, very impersonal, and shows no empathy. Doctor's like this really should not be doctors at all. Dr. Metcalf treats her patients like they are just a number in her book, not an actual human being. She is very blunt when saying that her family and kids come before her work. I would have changed doctors, but didn't want to go through the hassle.

flag | Submitted December 2, 2009

Dr. Sharon L. Metcalf's Credentials

• Medical College Of Virginia Commonwealth University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1995)