Ratings for Dr. Kanu Panchal

I brought my 88 yo father to see Dr Panchal at the request of his GP, who identified through a CT scan, something pressing against his spine, causing progressively deteriorating movement in his hands and severe kyphosis. Upon arrival, the woman at the front desk gave an unwelcoming 'hello' as though we were bothering her. We were the only people waiting to see the doctor and no other patients were being seen at the time. She seemed annoyed that we did not receive paperwork in the mail to fill out prior to our visit, as though we were lying and just didn't do it. She wasn't entirely nasty, but she definitely wasn't warmly welcoming us to the office. When the doctor entered the patient room to see my father, he greeted himself, however, he was quick to get to the point. He rushed through a few questions about his condition, and then landed a bomb in our laps. He said he reviewed the CT scan and there is no point in going any further. He will not get better, he will get worse and that will be the end. He left my mom stunned and my father speechless. He was incredibly tactless, rude, and completely disrespectful. In a few words, he said there was no point in doing more because he is OLD. He yelled it, OLD, and said it with a laugh. Insinuating the question of why were we even there for such an old man? His demeanor was disgusting. When I questioned him about his remarks, he said, "what's the point?" He said "why does it matter what is pressing against the spine, it would probably need surgery and he can't do surgery, he's too old." He didn't suggest for us to do anything, but watch my father get worse, because he's OLD and it's life. The visit was the worst thing for us to do, because it basically put my father in a state of further depression. What is even more disturbing is, we had indicated on his medical history that he has been suffering from some depression recently. My brother died a few months ago, which is when his kyphosis began. Did the doctor show sympathy or reveal his medical opinion carefully? Not at all! He had absolutely no interest in helping. I am certain this visit will contribute to my father deteriorating quicker, as no hope was given, no suggestion for a way to keep things from getting worse so rapidly, and no compassion or suggestions on how to deal with it. It was a complete waste of time. It makes me ill just knowing that this man actually got paid for that consultation. When I made my disagreement of his opinion known, he did apologize for being overly pessimistic, but it didn't erase what he had already said. The damage was already done. He seemed to backtrack after I began to raise my voice and question his demeanor. He then told us to try a university hospital because he says they don't have capabilities to help my father at St Alexius. You think?

flag | Submitted November 4, 2015

I would rather go to the vet. He is cold and only cares about the cash not the patient.

flag | Submitted August 22, 2010

Dr. Kanu Panchal's Credentials

• Bj Med Coll, Gujarat Univ, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India (Grad. 1972)

MSP/BC Med