Dr. Roy Mathews

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Roy Mathews

I naively placed my trust in Dr. Matthews. He misdiagnosed my toe problem, operated in his office (!)and did inadequate follow-up care. I was in agony, had insufficient pain medication and have had foot pain and mobility ever since. I deeply regret seeing him.

flag | Submitted September 6, 2013

I was being hobbled by an inflamed metatarsal join in my left foot. Dr. Mathews assessed me and had orthodics made. I was skeptical that it would work and at first it didn't seem to help much. I went back to Dr. Mathews after wearing the orthdics for about 4 weeks and he made some adjustments. 2 weeks later I was pain-free. I can now play tennis, run and even wear high heal shoes again.

flag | Submitted September 21, 2012

I had tri-correctional bunionectomy by Dr. Mathews 6 months ago. I am pleased overall with the improvement in foot function and pain reduction. It is a big surgery which I did not undertake lightly, especially as I lived out of town for surgery and follow up appts. I found Dr. Mathews to be honest, helpful and capable. I would recommend this surgery to others, if performed by him.

flag | Submitted May 26, 2012

I had Bunion surgery 18 months ago, I had a screw inserted and when I went back to get the screw out he couldn't do this, he tried for over an hour so I had to go back and someone else helped get the screw out. My big toe was so straight and it never touched the floor. I have not been able to wear my beautiful shoes in eighteen months. I found another doctor who is competent and knows what he's doing. I had surgery two weeks ago with this doctor who has corrected my big toe. I had a gap between my big toe and the next one so wide it looked like I had a toe missing. I have had to go through all the pain again, and now I have to have a taylor bunion removed as a result of the cast the first doctor put on. I would never recommend this doctor to anyone, he is very arrogant and full of himself. I want my money bak.

flag | Submitted May 9, 2012

Terrible Dr, he really screwed up my mums foot, she has to have surgery again in a few days, this time with a surgeon who actually knows what he is doing to correct the mess that Dr Mathews made on her foot, please never go to this Dr, he is awful and he is full of himself and he doesn't tell the truth.

Submitted April 24, 2012

I had serious bunions on both feet and was very lucky to find Dr. Mathews. I got an appointment within a couple of weeks and was scheduled for surgery within a couple of months (usual waiting time where I live - 1 to 2 years). Dr. Mathews is very open and takes time to explain everything - he responds to e-mails often in less then a day. Both surgeries took place in the clinic under local anaesthetic which fit me perfectly. Advice before the surgery, the procedure itself and after care were perfect. I had hardly any pain and had both feet done within 6 months. My duck feet are gone. Thank you, Dr. Mathews.

flag | Submitted May 5, 2011

Dr. Mathews performed bunion surgery on one foot in 2002 and the other in 2005. I was up and excercising within 5 weeks and have not had any problems since the surgeries. I can wear shoes without orthotics now and am pain free. I recommend him to anyone considering bunion surgery. Initially, I was reluctant to undergo bunion surgery because of the unpleasant experiences that others had told me about. My experience under Dr. Mathews' care was very positive. He was professional, thoroughly explained the procedure, took extensive xrays and provided excellent follow up care.J. Jones

flag | Submitted March 27, 2011

Dr Mathews helped me with some plantar fasciitis I was suffering from. The custom orthotics he made for me took away my pain and have allowed me to return to my exercise routine. I can't say the same for the previous doctor I saw. Dr Mathews was very pleasant to deal with, charged a reasonable amount and got the job done. Michael

flag | Submitted March 25, 2011

I had a bunionectomy performed by DR. Mathews and at the same time he was going to straighten the big toe on the same foot. The bunion was removed and all is well with that part of the surgery. The BIG DRAWBACK is that the surgical side of my big toe is numb. Dr Mathews attempted to correct the problem but as I was told by another podiatrist who I feel is MORE COMPETENT, the nerve was severed. Also that big toe doesn't flatten when I stand on the foot and consequently my balance is off as a result. The big toe was never straightened, he just cut the nail down to the quick on the side nearest the 2nd toe to compensate for the toe overlap and make it appear more straight. I WOULD NOT recommend Dr Mathews to anyone not even my worst enemy. He charges far too much and if he was so good in the California why didn't he stay there....

flag | Submitted January 12, 2011

Dr. Mathews performed a bunionectomy on my left foot nine weeks ago. From the first consultation to the most recent follow-up appointment he has been professional, efficient, willing to explain in detail the procedure, the risks, the recovery, etc. Some people were skeptical about my having a podiatrist perform my bunionectomy (rather than an orthopedic surgeon), but Dr. Mathews has done hundreds of surgeries, and I am very happy with the result. He is also very easy to communicate with via email--I sent him several emails over 8 weeks and he always responded within 24 hours.

flag | Submitted May 9, 2010

Dr. Roy Mathews's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

As a podiatrist and as an avid athlete, Dr Mathews has a passion for solving the foot problems of active people and getting them back to their normal lives as quickly as possible. He began his studies at Simon Fraser University in the kinesiology department, where he also played on the University’s basketball team. Following his years at SFU, Dr. Mathews played a season of professional basketball in the Middle East, before moving to Chicago to study Podiatric Medicine. Dr. Mathews then completed a surgical residency in North Hollywood, California. He has been in private practice since 1997, splitting his time between Vancouver Podiatry’s Kerrisdale, Downtown, and New Westminster locations. Dr. Mathews is currently on the board of directors for the B.C. Podiatric Medical Association. With his extensive background in Kinesiology, as well as in amateur and professional sports, Dr. Mathews focuses a large portion of his Podiatric practice on Sports Medicine, treating amateur to national-level athletes in many sports including soccer, basketball, running and triathlon. Dr. Mathews shares his wealth of experience and expertise widely, lecturing regularly to running clubs across the city, as well as to the Vancouver Sun Run clinics.

• English

• Dr.William M Scholl College Podiatric Medicine (Grad. 1996)

• Bunions