Dr. Roy Mathews

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Roy Mathews

I fully recommend Dr Mathews for podiatry services. I have a long history of foot issues stemming from sports injuries and with bunion pain. Previous care with other health care professionals focused on managing the pain versus addressing the underlying issues. I chose Dr Mathews based on web reviews and this was validated on my first visit. Office is clean, bright and spacious. Staff helpful and friendly. Change of office locations went seamlessly. Dr M fully understood the history and impact of my injuries, and the struggles I have had even with previous care. Care areas - ankle assessment, orthotics and bunion treatment. Having used orthotics for decades via chiropractors, I can confidently state that the orthotics obtained through his office are the best ones I have ever had. They look different and feel truly customized for my feet; the positive impact was immediate. The other part of this treatment was his recommendation to get proper evaluation of the ankle issues that have plagued me for decades. His evaluation, supported with x-ray and MRI, resulted in a referral to an ortho surgeon. He was very clear on what I needed, what he can provide within his scope of practice and where I can get the best care. I was really pleased/relieved as no previous health professionals had recommended that level of care . Bunion evaluation with Dr M resulted in options that included surgery. I opted for surgery after discussion with him and I have no regrets. I am so pleased to see the obvious impact of the surgery with my toe alignment; post-op care has been responsive and compassionate. I am a health care professional. Please make informed decisions with finding health care providers, including not just accepting web reviews at face value. I have no regrets with accepting care from Dr Mathews, and I have recommended his services to others.

flag | Submitted November 27, 2017

I do not recommend him at all! He's in the business to make money as he hurriedly gets through your appt as fast as possible. If you have ?s that go over the allotted time, he'll be 1/2way out the door before you can ask/he could answer. More than once I sat in the wait rm to process the info he gave, jot my questions down & try to get a word in before I left. He 'sold$$$' me on getting a bunionectomy done as he'd "done over a thousand before", the next time it was "thousands"... As another pt noticed, he is as arrogant as his pants are tight. If anything goes wrong, as it did horribly for me, it's a slippery slope. As another pt said, it took 2 appts to 'dig' the hardware out with Dr. Q, causing permanent AVN!, then the bone collapsed, then he actually said it was ok to still walk on it!! to bump me off several weeks. Coincidentally he was opening his office on 42nd ave$$$. A toe he 'fixed'$$ got noticeably twisted but looked "fine", "guess I could look into it later". He continually bumped me while my condition worsened/extremely painful! It became WCB incident - incredibly stressful! Then had to chase down my records btwn 3 different offices he works in $$$ & he couldn't even put it together - incredibly stressful, took forever and was very detrimental to my case! It was costing his time$$$ & basically wrote me off/left me with major painful permanent issues. Years of stress & pain!

flag | Submitted November 22, 2017

Please pass on my thanks to Dr. Mathews for making the laser treatments for my plantar fibroma problem bearable and effective. What a difference after only 2 treatments. I would highly recommend Dr. Mathews, he is professional, personable and one of the best Podiatrists around. Thanks again !

flag | Submitted October 25, 2017

Three months after bunion and hammertoe surgery by Dr. Matthews, I did my first TRX RIP training last week and my foot was the last thing to hurt afterward – so GOOD JOB!

flag | Submitted September 22, 2017

Recently I brought my wife to Dr. Mathews because he did my bunion surgery. My surgery was very professionally done and the nine years since I have had no problems. I have referred many friends to Dr. Mathews without hesitation.

flag | Submitted September 11, 2017

Dr. Matthews is a marvellous surgeon who produces astonishing results! In April 2016, I had the Major bunion surgery. Just 6 months later, I was able to resume running major marathons. Within 13 months post surgery, I had completed the following 4 full and 1 half marathons: Oct, 2016: Chicago Marathon Vancouver Rock N Roll Half Marathon Nov, 2016: New York City Marathon April 2017: Boston Marathon May 2017: Vancouver BMO Marathon (Boston Qualified!) Besides being an excellent surgeon, Dr. Matthews is very personable and caring. I highly recommend Dr. Matthews!

flag | Submitted August 9, 2017

Outstanding in every way. You feel, and know, that you're being cared for by a most professional, experienced, caring doctor who is wholeheartedly concerned with helping you attain your utmost health. A Gem!

flag | Submitted July 25, 2017

For a few years I was here on ratemd trying to find the best doctor for my bunion surgery. (Background: 6 years ago I had the other foot done with an orthopaedic surgeon that produced a poor result, so it was a difficult decision and journey towards this second surgery.) It has been 4 months since Dr. Mathews did my bunion surgery, and I'm so happy to be writing this positive review! My foot issue has been corrected and my healing has been going very well. He sincerely cares if you are a good candidate for surgery, how the healing time and your life connect, and the overall outcome - and this is clearly visible through the follow up appointments I've had. I can't express this enough. Dr. Mathews is an absolute professional, kind, personable, and is very passionate about his career/work. I only wish he did my first surgery, and his receptionist said she hears that a lot! (She is absolutely lovely as well.) I feel so incredibly lucky to have had my surgery performed by him and Dr. Quintoro.

flag | Submitted July 8, 2017

Marianne. S in the last week- A friend referred me, as i had/have been suffering with a dreadful case of plantar fasciitis for some time. It was determined that i needed orthotics and a deposit was promptly made, to enable the lab he uses, to begin production of my orthotics. Being in a temporarily difficult financial situation, i sought the aid of an association to help me with the balance owing. I told him and his staff, that this organization required an official invoice, to approve the expense. I was assured that an invoice would be forwarded. There was an error in the email address and my rep, called the office (after i notified her of the error) , leaving all her information on their voicemail, along with a request to be called back. They never did. She called again many days later and spoke directly with the secretary at the Kerrisdale office. She presented herself, explained the situation and requirements and was assured that an email would be promptly sent. It never was. I called his office and left a message, asking that they please follow up, as the delays would inevitably prove detrimental to me, given that i never sit for the work that i do. Days later, ie this morning, a message was left by the secretary from their New West office. She stated that if i needed an invoive, they could send one to me, but that their policy was never to forward any to third parties.... Why not say that to me at the time of the original request, i wonder?? I called back and finally spoke to the secretary. She said she had the correct email address to send the invoice to and promised to send it "today before noon". I apprised my rep of this and ask that sje keep me posted... Later this morning, i get a call from my friend. She had received what sounded to have been a scathing, if not slanderous email, about me. Dr. Mathews stated that his staff "no longer wanted to deal with all tje extra work i was asking of them". He added that i was "harassing" them with all the calls and that they wanted no part of it any more. He intimated he had lost money and time with me and no doubt had some other choice words of condemnation, for a widow (me) temporarily down on her luck. Nice!!! Well i spoke with my rep this evening and after diligently checking her inbox, confirmed no email was ever sent (as promised), from the offices of Dr.Mathews. To say that to date, my experience with this doctor and his staff has been unpleasant, would be akin to calling the plague, mildly inconvenient. The ONLY thing myself and my case worker are attempting (and unsuccessfully at that), is for his office to forward a digital copy of an invoice, to an email address! If i had to guess, i would venture to question Dr.Mathew's willingness to uphold an oath, when it stands to benefit those that he or his staff, view as "undesirable" , or in financial difficulty, if even temporarily. No help, no empathy, no respect for my case worker's time and effort and worst of all, for my health. Ps. This pffice does show great respect, however, in addressing information left on their voicemail, especially when it comes to charging a credit card number left on it...

flag | Submitted June 21, 2017

Dr Mathews sqeezed me to his schedule to deal with a sport injury. His quick response and treatment allowed me to compete only 2 weeks after my injury

flag | Submitted June 16, 2017

Dr. Roy Mathews's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

As a podiatrist and as an avid athlete, Dr Mathews has a passion for solving the foot problems of active people and getting them back to their normal lives as quickly as possible. He began his studies at Simon Fraser University in the kinesiology department, where he also played on the University’s basketball team. Following his years at SFU, Dr. Mathews played a season of professional basketball in the Middle East, before moving to Chicago to study Podiatric Medicine. Dr. Mathews then completed a surgical residency in North Hollywood, California. He has been in private practice since 1997, splitting his time between Vancouver Podiatry’s Kerrisdale, Downtown, and New Westminster locations. Dr. Mathews is currently on the board of directors for the B.C. Podiatric Medical Association. With his extensive background in Kinesiology, as well as in amateur and professional sports, Dr. Mathews focuses a large portion of his Podiatric practice on Sports Medicine, treating amateur to national-level athletes in many sports including soccer, basketball, running and triathlon. Dr. Mathews shares his wealth of experience and expertise widely, lecturing regularly to running clubs across the city, as well as to the Vancouver Sun Run clinics.

• English

• Dr.William M Scholl College Podiatric Medicine (Grad. 1996)

• Bunions