Ratings for Dr. Roy Mathews

For a few years I was here on ratemd trying to find the best doctor for my bunion surgery. (Background: 6 years ago I had the other foot done with an orthopaedic surgeon that produced a poor result, so it was a difficult decision and journey towards this second surgery.) It has been 4 months since Dr. Mathews did my bunion surgery, and I'm so happy to be writing this positive review! My foot issue has been corrected and my healing has been going very well. He sincerely cares if you are a good candidate for surgery, how the healing time and your life connect, and the overall outcome - and this is clearly visible through the follow up appointments I've had. I can't express this enough. Dr. Mathews is an absolute professional, kind, personable, and is very passionate about his career/work. I only wish he did my first surgery, and his receptionist said she hears that a lot! (She is absolutely lovely as well.) I feel so incredibly lucky to have had my surgery performed by him and Dr. Quintoro.

flag | Submitted July 8, 2017

Marianne. S in the last week- A friend referred me, as i had/have been suffering with a dreadful case of plantar fasciitis for some time. It was determined that i needed orthotics and a deposit was promptly made, to enable the lab he uses, to begin production of my orthotics. Being in a temporarily difficult financial situation, i sought the aid of an association to help me with the balance owing. I told him and his staff, that this organization required an official invoice, to approve the expense. I was assured that an invoice would be forwarded. There was an error in the email address and my rep, called the office (after i notified her of the error) , leaving all her information on their voicemail, along with a request to be called back. They never did. She called again many days later and spoke directly with the secretary at the Kerrisdale office. She presented herself, explained the situation and requirements and was assured that an email would be promptly sent. It never was. I called his office and left a message, asking that they please follow up, as the delays would inevitably prove detrimental to me, given that i never sit for the work that i do. Days later, ie this morning, a message was left by the secretary from their New West office. She stated that if i needed an invoive, they could send one to me, but that their policy was never to forward any to third parties.... Why not say that to me at the time of the original request, i wonder?? I called back and finally spoke to the secretary. She said she had the correct email address to send the invoice to and promised to send it "today before noon". I apprised my rep of this and ask that sje keep me posted... Later this morning, i get a call from my friend. She had received what sounded to have been a scathing, if not slanderous email, about me. Dr. Mathews stated that his staff "no longer wanted to deal with all tje extra work i was asking of them". He added that i was "harassing" them with all the calls and that they wanted no part of it any more. He intimated he had lost money and time with me and no doubt had some other choice words of condemnation, for a widow (me) temporarily down on her luck. Nice!!! Well i spoke with my rep this evening and after diligently checking her inbox, confirmed no email was ever sent (as promised), from the offices of Dr.Mathews. To say that to date, my experience with this doctor and his staff has been unpleasant, would be akin to calling the plague, mildly inconvenient. The ONLY thing myself and my case worker are attempting (and unsuccessfully at that), is for his office to forward a digital copy of an invoice, to an email address! If i had to guess, i would venture to question Dr.Mathew's willingness to uphold an oath, when it stands to benefit those that he or his staff, view as "undesirable" , or in financial difficulty, if even temporarily. No help, no empathy, no respect for my case worker's time and effort and worst of all, for my health. Ps. This pffice does show great respect, however, in addressing information left on their voicemail, especially when it comes to charging a credit card number left on it...

flag | Submitted June 21, 2017

Dr Mathews sqeezed me to his schedule to deal with a sport injury. His quick response and treatment allowed me to compete only 2 weeks after my injury

flag | Submitted June 16, 2017

The worst bedside manner ever! Went to him for years and finally gave up based on poor advice and attitude. Last pair of orthodics did not fit me correctly. After being re-assessed and new pair made by Kintec, my ankle and knee problems from the last year disappeared.

flag | Submitted May 23, 2017

Very friendly, listened well. I hobbled in and walked out feeling soooo much better ! Highly recommended.

flag | Submitted May 23, 2017

I first saw Dr. Matthews in 2010, when he successfully operated on my huge bunion and nasty hammertoe. I was so pleased with the outcome that I am back to see him for the other foot. Dr. Mathews is direct and enthusiastic and I am very glad to have him fix my problem feet.

flag | Submitted April 4, 2017

I had a drug related (Cipro) Achilles tendon injury which developed over a short period of time and I had constant pain. Saw numerous doctors until on my own I went to Dr Mathews who was confident he could help me. I had two laser treatments on my Achilles several months apart and am now virtually pain free and back to regular exercise routine. A week after my first treatment my symptoms greatly improved.

flag | Submitted March 27, 2017

I had my bunion surgery May 2000. Prior to surgery my future looked bleak, I was in agonizing pain & not able to wear any shoes, causing issues with my work & lifestyle. Dr. Mathew’s surgery gave me life back! Once again, I could resume teaching dancing, participating in 10K walks, skiing & wearing high heels. Recently, I started experiencing discomfort so I decided to see Dr. Mathews before it would get worse. He sent me for X-rays & depending on result he will decide with next course treatment. I will follow up. For anyone having any second thoughts about bunion surgery, based on my experience: It is best decision you make! Dr. Mathews is caring, experienced professional whose skills will positively improve your life style. Eva D

flag | Submitted December 29, 2016

Dr. Mathews and Dr. Quintoro preformed bunion surgery on November 29,2016. I was awake and it did not hurt at all, actually it was very interesting to me! I just got my small foot cast off December 16,2016 and I am walking in runners and rode my stationary bike this morning! I am very pleased and I will be doing my other for in April 2017! Big thanks to both Dr.Mathews and Dr. Quintoro!

flag | Submitted December 17, 2016

Good experience and good orthotics. Bedside manner also good.

flag | Submitted November 16, 2016

Dr. Roy Mathews's Credentials

• Dr.William M Scholl College Podiatric Medicine (Grad. 1996)

Commercial Insurance Company