Dr. Roy Mathews

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Roy Mathews

Dr Matthews and his staff are excellent, very professional and took the time to answer all my questions and concerns. I had a painful bunion on my right foot, the surgery went very smoothly and hardly any pain afterwards. I followed the instructions given to elevate and exercise the joint, was back in runners in 3 weeks, the “incision scar” is barely visible now at 4 months. Am very happy with the results and the personal care I received was above & beyond. Highly recommend Dr. Matthews and team!

flag | Submitted July 12, 2018

Dr. Matthews knows what he is doing! In just couple visits, my foot pain dissappear! I just had to wait couple months for first visit.

flag | Submitted July 4, 2018

I cried happy tears the other day when I discovered I could press the top of my foot down to do a couple of basic yoga poses without the interference or pain of a huge bunion. I wish I had discovered Dr Mathews years ago. Despite using orthotics, and spending $$$ trying to find shoes that would work for my multiple foot issues, the arthritis in my big toe joint worsened to the point where my toe was immobile (hallux limitus) and I was walking on the side of my foot. I had given up dancing, backpacking, and long walks, and even my ability to do pilates/yoga or my passion stand up paddleboarding was affected by not being able to balance well or flex my toe. I knew surgery was long overdue, and am very happy I found Dr Mathews. He clearly explained the procedure to me, and along withDr Quintoro performed a tri-correctional bunionectomy (who knew it would almost be fun to watch Star Wars Rogue One while bones are cut and fragments dug out?). I'm still amazed that I was able to leave the office on crutches, and then two weeks later have the cast removed and start walking! I can't say it was all pain-free, but I know that there was a lot of work done on the joint, and it needs time to heal. Also, it is really important to follow post-op instructions (rest means rest, and make sure you have someone taking care of you). Office staff were very friendly and helpful. Follow-up appointments were punctual and helpful in determining my progress and next steps. One thing I really appreciate is that any questions or concerns I had in between appointments, I could email Dr Mathews and he always responded the same day! I'm now 6 weeks post-surgery and literally learning to walk properly again! I know I need more time and patience to fully recover, but am feeling very positive about returning to all of my activities, and will be getting my other foot done later on :)

flag | Submitted June 25, 2018

I had foot pain. Dr Mathews was fully booked but he made a plan to fit me in first thing in the morning. Very professional and helpful. My foot is feeling so much better.

flag | Submitted June 20, 2018

I had bunion surgery with Dr. Mathews and found the process was thorough, professional, and focused on getting me safely back on my feet and active. The staff was accommodating and the quality of care excellent.

flag | Submitted June 13, 2018

I had gone to see Dr.Roy Matthew. Dont go to him. I often dont like to say negative things about people, but Dr.Matthews made me feel like I was just another routine-patient. Felt very scripted, incredibly rushed (20 mins when I was told I would get 45 for first appt), forced into things (foot scan without asking?), neglect to assess for my needs/foot mechanics (I tried to show him my runners and what I currently use in them). Then all of a sudden I'm being cohered out of the office and asked to pay $600+ for orthotics that will be delivered next week. I left wondering if he was being ethical in his treatment. Left feeling horrible.

Submitted June 5, 2018

Bunion surgery went fantastic with not much pain. Recovery was quick. Dr. Mathews and his staff were professional and friendly. Will go back there to have the other foot done.

flag | Submitted May 4, 2018

Have seen Dr. Mathews for years, has fixed my bunions and made me orthotics for heel pain. Surgery went great with minimal pain. Always kind, professional and gives time for your appointment. New office is really nice too!

flag | Submitted April 18, 2018

I felt uncomfortable with his approach and rather rude, condescending manner. I would not recommend him for female patients.

flag | Submitted April 3, 2018

I live in Saskatchewan and have had bunions for quite a few years. They have never bothered me painwise but it was getting difficult to wear many of my beautiful shoes. Plus I knew at some point that I would need to have them corrected. Everyone here in Saskatoon always told me about how painful the surgery was and the long recovery time in a cast and big boot - off your feet for 6 - 8 weeks, This made me nervous and I started searching for surgery out of province and found Dr. Roy Mathews. What a blessing! He has a new way of doing the surgery called a Tri-Correctional Bunionectomy(TCB) - a less invasive and faster healing surgery than anything I had ever heard of. After my initial consult which was very thorough and professional, including answering all my questions, I booked to have left foot ( the worst one ) done 2 weeks ago January 10th. The surgery went fast and I even watched a movie on Netflix while he did the surgery. I had a small cast around my bunion which Dr. Matthews changed last week - I was so happy when I saw that foot - it looked wonderful. But best of all I had no pain at any time - no, none, ZERO, NADA. No one believes me but my husband, but it was true!! No pain. It is important to follow the instructions that Dr. Mathews gives you about staying off your feet, elevating it etc. Very easy instructions but following them is worth it. Tomorrow I get my cast off and can start walking again. I was so happy I booked my right foot before my left foot cast came off. We need to let women know there is an alternative to the horrific bunion surgery that most women think of - this is something that women everywhere need to know about. Thank you Dr. Mathews.

Submitted January 24, 2018

Dr. Roy Mathews's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

As a podiatrist and as an avid athlete, Dr Mathews has a passion for solving the foot problems of active people and getting them back to their normal lives as quickly as possible. He began his studies at Simon Fraser University in the kinesiology department, where he also played on the University’s basketball team. Following his years at SFU, Dr. Mathews played a season of professional basketball in the Middle East, before moving to Chicago to study Podiatric Medicine. Dr. Mathews then completed a surgical residency in North Hollywood, California. He has been in private practice since 1997, splitting his time between Vancouver Podiatry’s Kerrisdale, Downtown, and New Westminster locations. Dr. Mathews is currently on the board of directors for the B.C. Podiatric Medical Association. With his extensive background in Kinesiology, as well as in amateur and professional sports, Dr. Mathews focuses a large portion of his Podiatric practice on Sports Medicine, treating amateur to national-level athletes in many sports including soccer, basketball, running and triathlon. Dr. Mathews shares his wealth of experience and expertise widely, lecturing regularly to running clubs across the city, as well as to the Vancouver Sun Run clinics.

• English

• Dr.William M Scholl College Podiatric Medicine (Grad. 1996)

• Bunions