Dr. Roy Mathews

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Roy Mathews

Bunion surgery went fantastic with not much pain. Recovery was quick. Dr. Mathews and his staff were professional and friendly. Will go back there to have the other foot done.

flag | Submitted May 4, 2018

Have seen Dr. Mathews for years, has fixed my bunions and made me orthotics for heel pain. Surgery went great with minimal pain. Always kind, professional and gives time for your appointment. New office is really nice too!

flag | Submitted April 18, 2018

I felt uncomfortable with his approach and rather rude, condescending manner. I would not recommend him for female patients.

flag | Submitted April 3, 2018

I live in Saskatchewan and have had bunions for quite a few years. They have never bothered me painwise but it was getting difficult to wear many of my beautiful shoes. Plus I knew at some point that I would need to have them corrected. Everyone here in Saskatoon always told me about how painful the surgery was and the long recovery time in a cast and big boot - off your feet for 6 - 8 weeks, This made me nervous and I started searching for surgery out of province and found Dr. Roy Mathews. What a blessing! He has a new way of doing the surgery called a Tri-Correctional Bunionectomy(TCB) - a less invasive and faster healing surgery than anything I had ever heard of. After my initial consult which was very thorough and professional, including answering all my questions, I booked to have left foot ( the worst one ) done 2 weeks ago January 10th. The surgery went fast and I even watched a movie on Netflix while he did the surgery. I had a small cast around my bunion which Dr. Matthews changed last week - I was so happy when I saw that foot - it looked wonderful. But best of all I had no pain at any time - no, none, ZERO, NADA. No one believes me but my husband, but it was true!! No pain. It is important to follow the instructions that Dr. Mathews gives you about staying off your feet, elevating it etc. Very easy instructions but following them is worth it. Tomorrow I get my cast off and can start walking again. I was so happy I booked my right foot before my left foot cast came off. We need to let women know there is an alternative to the horrific bunion surgery that most women think of - this is something that women everywhere need to know about. Thank you Dr. Mathews.

Submitted January 24, 2018

Dr. Matthews performed bunion and hammer toe surgery on my right foot on Nov 20th. My foot looks great and I am already dancing and playing tennis again without pain. This was my second surgery with him, I had my left foot done last June, also a great experience and outcome. My right foot had been operated before by a Victoria surgeon and did not look good at all. Dr. Matthews prepared me for the more invasive Lapidus procedure as the likely scenario, but was able to in the end found a better way. He and Dr. Quintoro spend over an hour on my foot, removing a piece of material that was left in there by the previous surgeon. Since the material was not one that is normally meant to stay within the body, cystes had developped all around my toe joint and that whole mess had to be cleaned up as part of the surgery. I was on a knee scooter for 3 weeks, walked in runners after that and am just overall amazed about my recovery. Dr. Matthews has been so helpful. I left a message for him about an issue with my second to on one weekend, he called first thing Monday morning to help me out. Great staff as well, everyone was very helpful.

flag | Submitted January 19, 2018

Outstanding. Extremely knowledgeable, caring and attentive. The best of the best!

flag | Submitted January 9, 2018

Very knowlegeable. Best podiatrist I’ve had so far!

flag | Submitted December 19, 2017

Dr Matthews performed a surgical bunion 'adjustment" over two years ago on my less deformed foot. The surgery went well and after all this time the foot continues to look normal & I have zero pain. I recently saw him for a problem with a toe. He spent time explaining the condition & then treated it extensively in the office & provided instructions for after care as well as the minor surgery I will have in the new year. I am quite satisfied.

flag | Submitted December 18, 2017

I fully recommend Dr Mathews for podiatry services. I have a long history of foot issues stemming from sports injuries and with bunion pain. Previous care with other health care professionals focused on managing the pain versus addressing the underlying issues. I chose Dr Mathews based on web reviews and this was validated on my first visit. Office is clean, bright and spacious. Staff helpful and friendly. Change of office locations went seamlessly. Dr M fully understood the history and impact of my injuries, and the struggles I have had even with previous care. Care areas - ankle assessment, orthotics and bunion treatment. Having used orthotics for decades via chiropractors, I can confidently state that the orthotics obtained through his office are the best ones I have ever had. They look different and feel truly customized for my feet; the positive impact was immediate. The other part of this treatment was his recommendation to get proper evaluation of the ankle issues that have plagued me for decades. His evaluation, supported with x-ray and MRI, resulted in a referral to an ortho surgeon. He was very clear on what I needed, what he can provide within his scope of practice and where I can get the best care. I was really pleased/relieved as no previous health professionals had recommended that level of care . Bunion evaluation with Dr M resulted in options that included surgery. I opted for surgery after discussion with him and I have no regrets. I am so pleased to see the obvious impact of the surgery with my toe alignment; post-op care has been responsive and compassionate. I am a health care professional. Please make informed decisions with finding health care providers, including not just accepting web reviews at face value. I have no regrets with accepting care from Dr Mathews, and I have recommended his services to others.

flag | Submitted November 27, 2017

I do not recommend him at all! He's in the business to make money as he hurriedly gets through your appt as fast as possible. If you have ?s that go over the allotted time, he'll be 1/2way out the door before you can ask/he could answer. More than once I sat in the wait rm to process the info he gave, jot my questions down & try to get a word in before I left. He 'sold$$$' me on getting a bunionectomy done as he'd "done over a thousand before", the next time it was "thousands"... As another pt noticed, he is as arrogant as his pants are tight. If anything goes wrong, as it did horribly for me, it's a slippery slope. As another pt said, it took 2 appts to 'dig' the hardware out with Dr. Q, causing permanent AVN!, then the bone collapsed, then he actually said it was ok to still walk on it!! to bump me off several weeks. Coincidentally he was opening his office on 42nd ave$$$. A toe he 'fixed'$$ got noticeably twisted but looked "fine", "guess I could look into it later". He continually bumped me while my condition worsened/extremely painful! It became WCB incident - incredibly stressful! Then had to chase down my records btwn 3 different offices he works in $$$ & he couldn't even put it together - incredibly stressful, took forever and was very detrimental to my case! It was costing his time$$$ & basically wrote me off/left me with major painful permanent issues. Years of stress & pain!

flag | Submitted November 22, 2017

Dr. Roy Mathews's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

As a podiatrist and as an avid athlete, Dr Mathews has a passion for solving the foot problems of active people and getting them back to their normal lives as quickly as possible. He began his studies at Simon Fraser University in the kinesiology department, where he also played on the University’s basketball team. Following his years at SFU, Dr. Mathews played a season of professional basketball in the Middle East, before moving to Chicago to study Podiatric Medicine. Dr. Mathews then completed a surgical residency in North Hollywood, California. He has been in private practice since 1997, splitting his time between Vancouver Podiatry’s Kerrisdale, Downtown, and New Westminster locations. Dr. Mathews is currently on the board of directors for the B.C. Podiatric Medical Association. With his extensive background in Kinesiology, as well as in amateur and professional sports, Dr. Mathews focuses a large portion of his Podiatric practice on Sports Medicine, treating amateur to national-level athletes in many sports including soccer, basketball, running and triathlon. Dr. Mathews shares his wealth of experience and expertise widely, lecturing regularly to running clubs across the city, as well as to the Vancouver Sun Run clinics.

• English

• Dr.William M Scholl College Podiatric Medicine (Grad. 1996)

• Bunions