Dr. Roy Mathews

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Roy Mathews

I found Dr. Mathews on the Internet and wanted to consult with him about bunion treatment options. Dr. Mathews seemed very competent, was personable and friendly, and I felt comfortable with him right away. He told me about the surgery he had successfully done to many patients and showed me the before and after photos which were quite impressing. I had X-Ray done the same day, and Dr. Mathews confirmed that I would be a good candidate for the surgery. The on-line reviews were very reassuring as well, so I decided to schedule the surgery. In September I had the surgery done on my right foot. The surgery went on very well, I was watching a movie on Netflix the whole time, did not feel any pain or discomfort, and was able to walk to the car by myself after. The following few weeks were a bit uncomfortable as I had to stay with my foot up 24/7, and had some pain. After two weeks the cast was removed and I was allowed to walk a little. It was hard at first but slowly I increased the time of my daily walks and by the end of fourth week was able to walk for an hour straight as well as to drive, gradually getting back to my usual activities. It’s been six weeks now since my surgery, and even though I can feel my foot and probably will feel it for some time, I am quite happy with the surgery overall and with the whole experience with Dr. Mathews, as well as his staff. I am considering having the surgery done on my other foot, but first I need to see if the surgery has made the difference in how long I can walk and how high of a heel I can wear :). What you need to know before committing to the surgery: 1. It is not covered by BC Medical, your extended medical plan may or may not cover it; 2. You need to put trust in Dr. Mathews and you absolutely must follow his instructions, he has your best interests at heart and is on your side; 3. You will need to arrange for someone to take care of you (and others in your family).

flag | Submitted October 16, 2018

I injured my foot last year from long-distance walking, in the wrong shoes for me. After trying various exercises, stretches, shoes etc and still having the problem after a year, I knew I had to seek professional help. I worried that having gone so long, I might have permanent nerve damage and feared I might need surgery. I did my research and am so thankful I found Dr. Mathews. My first visit was a huge relief and I wished I hadn't held off for so long. Dr. Mathews showed me the mechanics of the foot, that my injury wasn't as bad as I thought. He's very knowledgeable, experienced and knows what he is doing. As someone who over-thinks, I was hesitant to try devices in my shoes, but thankfully he helped me sort through the ambiguity and put my mind at ease. After being fitted for a custom orthotic, I'm back on my feet and can do those normal things again that we so often take for granted and I'm so happy I didn't need surgery. I would highly recommend him!! His staff are also very kind and helpful.

flag | Submitted September 18, 2018

Dr Matthews and his staff are excellent, very professional and took the time to answer all my questions and concerns. I had a painful bunion on my right foot, the surgery went very smoothly and hardly any pain afterwards. I followed the instructions given to elevate and exercise the joint, was back in runners in 3 weeks, the “incision scar” is barely visible now at 4 months. Am very happy with the results and the personal care I received was above & beyond. Highly recommend Dr. Matthews and team!

flag | Submitted July 12, 2018

Dr. Matthews knows what he is doing! In just couple visits, my foot pain dissappear! I just had to wait couple months for first visit.

flag | Submitted July 4, 2018

I cried happy tears the other day when I discovered I could press the top of my foot down to do a couple of basic yoga poses without the interference or pain of a huge bunion. I wish I had discovered Dr Mathews years ago. Despite using orthotics, and spending $$$ trying to find shoes that would work for my multiple foot issues, the arthritis in my big toe joint worsened to the point where my toe was immobile (hallux limitus) and I was walking on the side of my foot. I had given up dancing, backpacking, and long walks, and even my ability to do pilates/yoga or my passion stand up paddleboarding was affected by not being able to balance well or flex my toe. I knew surgery was long overdue, and am very happy I found Dr Mathews. He clearly explained the procedure to me, and along withDr Quintoro performed a tri-correctional bunionectomy (who knew it would almost be fun to watch Star Wars Rogue One while bones are cut and fragments dug out?). I'm still amazed that I was able to leave the office on crutches, and then two weeks later have the cast removed and start walking! I can't say it was all pain-free, but I know that there was a lot of work done on the joint, and it needs time to heal. Also, it is really important to follow post-op instructions (rest means rest, and make sure you have someone taking care of you). Office staff were very friendly and helpful. Follow-up appointments were punctual and helpful in determining my progress and next steps. One thing I really appreciate is that any questions or concerns I had in between appointments, I could email Dr Mathews and he always responded the same day! I'm now 6 weeks post-surgery and literally learning to walk properly again! I know I need more time and patience to fully recover, but am feeling very positive about returning to all of my activities, and will be getting my other foot done later on :)

flag | Submitted June 25, 2018

I had foot pain. Dr Mathews was fully booked but he made a plan to fit me in first thing in the morning. Very professional and helpful. My foot is feeling so much better.

flag | Submitted June 20, 2018

I had bunion surgery with Dr. Mathews and found the process was thorough, professional, and focused on getting me safely back on my feet and active. The staff was accommodating and the quality of care excellent.

flag | Submitted June 13, 2018

I had gone to see Dr.Roy Matthew. Dont go to him. I often dont like to say negative things about people, but Dr.Matthews made me feel like I was just another routine-patient. Felt very scripted, incredibly rushed (20 mins when I was told I would get 45 for first appt), forced into things (foot scan without asking?), neglect to assess for my needs/foot mechanics (I tried to show him my runners and what I currently use in them). Then all of a sudden I'm being cohered out of the office and asked to pay $600+ for orthotics that will be delivered next week. I left wondering if he was being ethical in his treatment. Left feeling horrible.

Submitted June 5, 2018

Bunion surgery went fantastic with not much pain. Recovery was quick. Dr. Mathews and his staff were professional and friendly. Will go back there to have the other foot done.

flag | Submitted May 4, 2018

Have seen Dr. Mathews for years, has fixed my bunions and made me orthotics for heel pain. Surgery went great with minimal pain. Always kind, professional and gives time for your appointment. New office is really nice too!

flag | Submitted April 18, 2018

Dr. Roy Mathews's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

As a podiatrist and as an avid athlete, Dr Mathews has a passion for solving the foot problems of active people and getting them back to their normal lives as quickly as possible. He began his studies at Simon Fraser University in the kinesiology department, where he also played on the University’s basketball team. Following his years at SFU, Dr. Mathews played a season of professional basketball in the Middle East, before moving to Chicago to study Podiatric Medicine. Dr. Mathews then completed a surgical residency in North Hollywood, California. He has been in private practice since 1997, splitting his time between Vancouver Podiatry’s Kerrisdale, Downtown, and New Westminster locations. Dr. Mathews is currently on the board of directors for the B.C. Podiatric Medical Association. With his extensive background in Kinesiology, as well as in amateur and professional sports, Dr. Mathews focuses a large portion of his Podiatric practice on Sports Medicine, treating amateur to national-level athletes in many sports including soccer, basketball, running and triathlon. Dr. Mathews shares his wealth of experience and expertise widely, lecturing regularly to running clubs across the city, as well as to the Vancouver Sun Run clinics.

• English

• Dr.William M Scholl College Podiatric Medicine (Grad. 1996)

• Bunions