Dr. Roy Mathews

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Roy Mathews

Outstanding. Extremely knowledgeable, caring and attentive. The best of the best!

flag | Submitted January 9, 2018

Very knowlegeable. Best podiatrist I’ve had so far!

flag | Submitted December 19, 2017

Dr Matthews performed a surgical bunion 'adjustment" over two years ago on my less deformed foot. The surgery went well and after all this time the foot continues to look normal & I have zero pain. I recently saw him for a problem with a toe. He spent time explaining the condition & then treated it extensively in the office & provided instructions for after care as well as the minor surgery I will have in the new year. I am quite satisfied.

flag | Submitted December 18, 2017

I fully recommend Dr Mathews for podiatry services. I have a long history of foot issues stemming from sports injuries and with bunion pain. Previous care with other health care professionals focused on managing the pain versus addressing the underlying issues. I chose Dr Mathews based on web reviews and this was validated on my first visit. Office is clean, bright and spacious. Staff helpful and friendly. Change of office locations went seamlessly. Dr M fully understood the history and impact of my injuries, and the struggles I have had even with previous care. Care areas - ankle assessment, orthotics and bunion treatment. Having used orthotics for decades via chiropractors, I can confidently state that the orthotics obtained through his office are the best ones I have ever had. They look different and feel truly customized for my feet; the positive impact was immediate. The other part of this treatment was his recommendation to get proper evaluation of the ankle issues that have plagued me for decades. His evaluation, supported with x-ray and MRI, resulted in a referral to an ortho surgeon. He was very clear on what I needed, what he can provide within his scope of practice and where I can get the best care. I was really pleased/relieved as no previous health professionals had recommended that level of care . Bunion evaluation with Dr M resulted in options that included surgery. I opted for surgery after discussion with him and I have no regrets. I am so pleased to see the obvious impact of the surgery with my toe alignment; post-op care has been responsive and compassionate. I am a health care professional. Please make informed decisions with finding health care providers, including not just accepting web reviews at face value. I have no regrets with accepting care from Dr Mathews, and I have recommended his services to others.

flag | Submitted November 27, 2017

I do not recommend him at all! He's in the business to make money as he hurriedly gets through your appt as fast as possible. If you have ?s that go over the allotted time, he'll be 1/2way out the door before you can ask/he could answer. More than once I sat in the wait rm to process the info he gave, jot my questions down & try to get a word in before I left. He 'sold$$$' me on getting a bunionectomy done as he'd "done over a thousand before", the next time it was "thousands"... As another pt noticed, he is as arrogant as his pants are tight. If anything goes wrong, as it did horribly for me, it's a slippery slope. As another pt said, it took 2 appts to 'dig' the hardware out with Dr. Q, causing permanent AVN!, then the bone collapsed, then he actually said it was ok to still walk on it!! to bump me off several weeks. Coincidentally he was opening his office on 42nd ave$$$. A toe he 'fixed'$$ got noticeably twisted but looked "fine", "guess I could look into it later". He continually bumped me while my condition worsened/extremely painful! It became WCB incident - incredibly stressful! Then had to chase down my records btwn 3 different offices he works in $$$ & he couldn't even put it together - incredibly stressful, took forever and was very detrimental to my case! It was costing his time$$$ & basically wrote me off/left me with major painful permanent issues. Years of stress & pain!

flag | Submitted November 22, 2017

Please pass on my thanks to Dr. Mathews for making the laser treatments for my plantar fibroma problem bearable and effective. What a difference after only 2 treatments. I would highly recommend Dr. Mathews, he is professional, personable and one of the best Podiatrists around. Thanks again !

flag | Submitted October 25, 2017

Three months after bunion and hammertoe surgery by Dr. Matthews, I did my first TRX RIP training last week and my foot was the last thing to hurt afterward – so GOOD JOB!

flag | Submitted September 22, 2017

Recently I brought my wife to Dr. Mathews because he did my bunion surgery. My surgery was very professionally done and the nine years since I have had no problems. I have referred many friends to Dr. Mathews without hesitation.

flag | Submitted September 11, 2017

Dr. Matthews is a marvellous surgeon who produces astonishing results! In April 2016, I had the Major bunion surgery. Just 6 months later, I was able to resume running major marathons. Within 13 months post surgery, I had completed the following 4 full and 1 half marathons: Oct, 2016: Chicago Marathon Vancouver Rock N Roll Half Marathon Nov, 2016: New York City Marathon April 2017: Boston Marathon May 2017: Vancouver BMO Marathon (Boston Qualified!) Besides being an excellent surgeon, Dr. Matthews is very personable and caring. I highly recommend Dr. Matthews!

flag | Submitted August 9, 2017

Outstanding in every way. You feel, and know, that you're being cared for by a most professional, experienced, caring doctor who is wholeheartedly concerned with helping you attain your utmost health. A Gem!

flag | Submitted July 25, 2017

Dr. Roy Mathews's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

As a podiatrist and as an avid athlete, Dr Mathews has a passion for solving the foot problems of active people and getting them back to their normal lives as quickly as possible. He began his studies at Simon Fraser University in the kinesiology department, where he also played on the University’s basketball team. Following his years at SFU, Dr. Mathews played a season of professional basketball in the Middle East, before moving to Chicago to study Podiatric Medicine. Dr. Mathews then completed a surgical residency in North Hollywood, California. He has been in private practice since 1997, splitting his time between Vancouver Podiatry’s Kerrisdale, Downtown, and New Westminster locations. Dr. Mathews is currently on the board of directors for the B.C. Podiatric Medical Association. With his extensive background in Kinesiology, as well as in amateur and professional sports, Dr. Mathews focuses a large portion of his Podiatric practice on Sports Medicine, treating amateur to national-level athletes in many sports including soccer, basketball, running and triathlon. Dr. Mathews shares his wealth of experience and expertise widely, lecturing regularly to running clubs across the city, as well as to the Vancouver Sun Run clinics.

• English

• Dr.William M Scholl College Podiatric Medicine (Grad. 1996)

• Bunions