Dr. Jean-Jacques (JJ) Dugoua

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Jean-Jacques (JJ) Dugoua

Dr. JJ has helped my family and I for over a year now. He is very smart, approachable and a good listener. I had been to many alternative health practitioners in the past but Dr. JJ was the ONLY one who was able to pin point the root cause of my issue. He quickly ordered the tests to confirm his suspicion. The results came in and his diagnosis was correct! I couldn't believe it. He designed a treatment protocol and I have been improving ever since, getting better every day. Dr. JJ and the services offered at Liberty Clinic will help get you on the right track to wellness. You will not be disappointed!

flag | Submitted June 15, 2017

I had been struggling with a digestive issue for 10 years seeing many doctors with no result. Dr JJ listened to all of my issues and was able to resolve the issue that no one else could. His manner is gentle and understanding and his knowledge is exemplary. Thank you Dr JJ for all your help!

flag | Submitted November 8, 2017

J'ai l'opportunité et la chance de pouvoir consulter le Dr Dugoua lors de mes visites à Toronto. Ces précieux conseils (en français d'ailleurs) m'aident énormément ds ma vie de tous les jours. Mes visites à sa clinique sont comme un ressourcement.

flag | Submitted October 2, 2017

Dr. JJ helped me make sense of my thyroid. I always knew something wasn't right with my metabolism but my results were always normal.  Dr. JJ said that he applies a functional medicine interpretation of TSH and found that I had subclinical hypothyroid. He had me check my daily temperatures and get more labs through my GP (t3, reverse T3). It worked.  My energy is slowly coming back and my workouts actually help me to lose weight now.  I feel so much better.

flag | Submitted August 30, 2017

Where do I start!? I've been seeing Dr. JJ for 11 years now and still going strong. I've never had to return to him with the same issue because he always resolves them. He is extremely knowledgeable in MANY areas, fabulous bedside manners, very thorough and accurate. He provides many alternatives to medicine which actually work!!! I don't know what I would have done without him. He responds to my emails within the same day and does over the phone appointments if I'm out of town. I highly recommend Dr.JJ!!

flag | Submitted August 28, 2017

I've been seeing Dr. JJ for 10 years+ on and off, and my wife for about 5 years+. Great doctor, very practical advice, easy steps to follow so that I didn't have to radically change my lifestyle - he didn't take me off meat or booze, but did suggest I quit smoking, outlets, have more me-time, etc. He didn't make me stop all my prescription drugs, rather worked with what I was on (I take next to nil now). He's helped me with stress, vertigo and IBS.  He’s helped my wife with her autoimmune condition with really good supplement suggestions, diet stuff and a lot of common sense suggestions. We see him when we need to. Pretty quick on email answers since we're often overseas. Quick to return a call when we’ve been sick. A+ highly recommend.

flag | Submitted August 21, 2017

Dr. JJ has been so wonderful and thorough in helping me with my low thyroid and celiac disease. His knowledge, helpful guidance and easy going nature make him one of the best doctors I've ever had.

flag | Submitted May 18, 2017

Dr. JJ has been an incredible help to me. When I was first started diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, he put me to ease and showed me some supplements that have continued to help, even after 2 hip surgeries. He takes all the time in the world to listen, and is quick to suggest genuinely helpful therapies, whether it's with him or someone else. It's not all about the money with JJ, and I appreciate his candidness!

flag | Submitted May 2, 2017

Dr.JJ is an easy going, great guy, with a wealth of knowledge! Dr JJ really listens and offers great sound advice. He makes realistic suggestions for an overall healthy lifestyle. Friendly office staff who are always helpful. I've recommended Dr. JJ to several friends and they have not been disappointed! Love my biofeedback treatments!

flag | Submitted March 29, 2017

I love the energy in this clinic! Dr. JJ has been so caring and genuinely wants to help people! He has done great things for me! Thanks Dr. JJ l

flag | Submitted March 29, 2017

Dr. Jean-Jacques (JJ) Dugoua's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Jean-Jacques Dugoua ND PhD, or Dr. JJ as he is affectionately known, is a naturopathic doctor, clinical pharmacologist and researcher. He is the Chief Medical Officer of the Liberty Clinic in downtown Toronto and the first Naturopathic Doctor (ND) to practice at the Toronto Western Hospital in the Artist Health Center, one of the few NDs practicing in a hospital in Canada. He has worked with the Motherisk Program at Sick Kids Hospital and as an Associate Professor at the University of Toronto Leslie Dan Faculty of Pharmacy. Dr. JJ completed his PhD in Pharmacy Sciences at the University of Toronto. He has co-authored 2 books on pregnancy safety and one book on diabetes. Dr. JJ has many peer-reviewed scientific publications published or in press. He is a world expert on natural health products pharmacology and pregnancy safety. Local and nationwide print and television media frequently consult him to provide expert commentary. Dr. JJ is an avid public speaker. Dr. JJ has given presentations nationally and internationally, including presentations at the World Health Organization in Washington DC and at conferences in Canada, US, China and Hong Kong. "I practice science-based medicine, rely on holistic wisdom from the past and use natural treatments for disease", say Dr. JJ. He combines naturopathic medicine, clinical nutrition, evidence-based medicine and intravenous (IV) therapies in his treatments. He has worked with patients suffering from chronic disease, including cancer, infertility, diabetes, arthritis, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, multiple chemical sensitivities, chronic pain, gastrointestinal disease, autoimmune disease and heart disease. In addition to general practice, his clinical focus is on fertility, pregnancy and cancer support during and after oncology treatments. He practices preventative medicine where patients are given treatment plans and health strategies to optimize their health. As the Director of the Liberty Clinic, Dr. JJ believes that working with a team of multi-disciplinary health professionals is the most successful route to help patients reach their health goals. "Four heads are better than one," says Dr. JJ. "My patients see results and they know that the whole team is looking out for their health from head to toe". As a patient of Dr. JJ, there is close communication with your medical doctor and any other health professional in your entourage. Dr. JJ believes that laughter is the best medicine. Be prepared to laugh when you meet Dr. JJ!

• English
  • French

• University of Toronto (Grad. 2011)
  • Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine (Grad. 2003)
  • McGill University (Grad. 1994)

• Doctoral Thesis Grant – Society of Graduate Students, University of Toronto: 2009
  • 4th Annual Summer Institute in Maternal-Fetal Pharmacology – NICHD, ORWH (NIH) and IHDCYH (CIHR): 2008
  • Shoppers Drug Mart Ontario Graduate Scholarship: 2008
  • William Knapp Buckley Award OSOTF (Ontario College of Pharmacists): 2007
  • Shoppers Drug Mart Ontario Graduate Scholarship: 2007
  • Poster Prize - Sick Kids Foundation Forum on Complementary and Alternative Health care and Paediatrics: 2007
  • Complementary and Alternative Health Care and Pediatrics Masters Scholarship - Sick Kids Foundation: 2006
  • Graduate scholarship - North American Research Conference on Complementary and Integrative Medicine,: 2006
  • Graduate fellowship – Leslie Dan Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Toronto: 2006
  • Research scholarship - The Royal Canadian Geographic Society: 1993