Dr. Jean-Jacques (JJ) Dugoua's Credentials
Accepting New Patients
Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients
Dr. Jean-Jacques Dugoua ND PhD, or Dr. JJ as he is affectionately known, is a naturopathic doctor, clinical pharmacologist and researcher. He is the Chief Medical Officer of the Liberty Clinic in downtown Toronto and the first Naturopathic Doctor (ND) to practice at the Toronto Western Hospital in the Artist Health Center, one of the few NDs practicing in a hospital in Canada. He has worked with the Motherisk Program at Sick Kids Hospital and as an Associate Professor at the University of Toronto Leslie Dan Faculty of Pharmacy. Dr. JJ completed his PhD in Pharmacy Sciences at the University of Toronto. He has co-authored 2 books on pregnancy safety and one book on diabetes. Dr. JJ has many peer-reviewed scientific publications published or in press. He is a world expert on natural health products pharmacology and pregnancy safety. Local and nationwide print and television media frequently consult him to provide expert commentary. Dr. JJ is an avid public speaker. Dr. JJ has given presentations nationally and internationally, including presentations at the World Health Organization in Washington DC and at conferences in Canada, US, China and Hong Kong. "I practice science-based medicine, rely on holistic wisdom from the past and use natural treatments for disease", say Dr. JJ. He combines naturopathic medicine, clinical nutrition, evidence-based medicine and intravenous (IV) therapies in his treatments. He has worked with patients suffering from chronic disease, including cancer, infertility, diabetes, arthritis, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, multiple chemical sensitivities, chronic pain, gastrointestinal disease, autoimmune disease and heart disease. In addition to general practice, his clinical focus is on fertility, pregnancy and cancer support during and after oncology treatments. He practices preventative medicine where patients are given treatment plans and health strategies to optimize their health. As the Director of the Liberty Clinic, Dr. JJ believes that working with a team of multi-disciplinary health professionals is the most successful route to help patients reach their health goals. "Four heads are better than one," says Dr. JJ. "My patients see results and they know that the whole team is looking out for their health from head to toe". As a patient of Dr. JJ, there is close communication with your medical doctor and any other health professional in your entourage. Dr. JJ believes that laughter is the best medicine. Be prepared to laugh when you meet Dr. JJ!
- University of Toronto (Grad. 2011)
- Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine (Grad. 2003)
- McGill University (Grad. 1994)
Areas of Expertise
Awards & Recognitions
- 4th Annual Summer Institute in Maternal-Fetal Pharmacology – NICHD, ORWH (NIH) and IHDCYH (CIHR): 2008
- Doctoral Thesis Grant – Society of Graduate Students, University of Toronto: 2009
- William Knapp Buckley Award OSOTF (Ontario College of Pharmacists): 2007
- Shoppers Drug Mart Ontario Graduate Scholarship: 2008
- Shoppers Drug Mart Ontario Graduate Scholarship: 2007
- Poster Prize - Sick Kids Foundation Forum on Complementary and Alternative Health care and Paediatrics: 2007
- Complementary and Alternative Health Care and Pediatrics Masters Scholarship - Sick Kids Foundation: 2006
- Graduate scholarship - North American Research Conference on Complementary and Integrative Medicine,: 2006
- Graduate fellowship – Leslie Dan Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Toronto: 2006
- Research scholarship - The Royal Canadian Geographic Society: 1993
Publications & Research
- Probiotic safety in pregnancy: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials of Lactobacillus, Bifidobacterium, and Saccharomyces spp.
- Traditional Chinese Medicines in the treatment of hepatocellular cancers: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Nutritional supplements and their effect on glucose control.
- From type 2 diabetes to antioxidant activity: a systematic review of the safety and efficacy of common and cassia cinnamon bark.
- Safety and efficacy of St. John's wort (hypericum) during pregnancy and lactation.
- Safety and efficacy of echinacea (Echinacea angustafolia, e. purpurea and e. pallida) during pregnancy and lactation.
- Systematic review of breastfeeding and herbs.
- Safety and efficacy of ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba) during pregnancy and lactation.
- Safety and efficacy of cranberry (vaccinium macrocarpon) during pregnancy and lactation
- Herbal medicines and pregnancy
- Safety and efficacy of panax ginseng during pregnancy and lactation.
- Safety and efficacy of chastetree (Vitex agnus-castus) during pregnancy and lactation.
- Safety and efficacy of blue cohosh (Caulophyllum thalictroides) during pregnancy and lactation.
- MotherNature: establishing a Canadian research network for natural health products (NHPs) during pregnancy and lactation.
- Safety and efficacy of black cohosh (Cimicifuga racemosa) during pregnancy and lactation.