Dr. Jean-Jacques (JJ) Dugoua

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Jean-Jacques (JJ) Dugoua

I was bless to find Dr. JJ through the Al through Malka Green Clinic for Artists at Toronto Western Hospital (http://artistshealth.com/about-ahc/). Dr. JJ and the other therapists on staff there have been enormously helpful in my recovery from a 2014 car accident. After more than 2 frustrating years (loads of physio and one surgery), in trying to recover, I felt so frustrated, moving 2 steps forward and 1.9 back every few weeks. I had built up enormous anxiety and depression, and no luck with anti-depressants, which affected my sleep cycle. Dr. JJ's recommendations to address these and other issues have been so helpful. Most of all I feel listened to and believed, even when what I've had to say does not fit into the medical model under which he was educated. Noteworthy with Dr. JJ is that he also has a PhD in pharmacology, which is highly unusual for an ND. The physio and other therapists there have turned my life around. Progress is slow (I had to LEARN to be PATIENT), but it's steady. (If I stray, I pay, and I notice it right away, or at latest, next day!) Five stars for the entire team at the Green Clinic. I travel 2-3 hours to get there and it's well worth it! I've gone from daily, to weekly to semi-monthly and now monthly in the span of about 6 months. That's why I said: 'Blessed!."

flag | Submitted May 10, 2018

Dr JJ, Pierre (osteopath) and the team at the Liberty Clinic are amazing. I have been struggling with a digestive issue for 8 years and finally I have found a team who is working together to resolve it. The best thing I have ever done for my overall health was to start with Dr JJ and when we added Pierre into the mix things got even better.

flag | Submitted July 25, 2018

Dr. JJ is amazing. He has helped my kids and I with many issues. After being treated by Dr.Jj ( I had strep throat 2-3 times per year) I have been in the clear for over 10 years and haven’t had to take antibiotics for anything ever since. I credit him for saving my tonsils. He also treated and cleared my 8 month old sons rash overnight! He listens, takes his time and I would recommend him in a heartbeat. He is very caring and down to earth.

flag | Submitted July 14, 2018

Very personable doctor and I appreciated punctuality. Staff is also very friendly and welcoming. Unfortunately, I didn't get much out of my appointment other than usual stuff you read on the internet (and I made an appointment to get more). Also, big disappointment was that after an hour discussion about my dietary restrictions and the fact that I am vegetarian, the doctor recommended supplement that is NOT vegetarian friendly. On a flip side, staff was very accommodating and refunded for the pills even tho I used them. It may have been my mistake for not checking the label but you don't expect that when a doctor hands you the supplement. Also, quite disappointing that I have not heard from him with apology. After all the good reviews unfortunately I will not be going back due to lack of confidence with this doctor.

flag | Submitted July 9, 2018

Dr. Jean-Jacques (JJ) Dugoua

Dr. Jean-Jacques (JJ) Dugoua's response
I'm sorry to read that you were not satisfied with your first visit. Our reception received an email from you while I was on vacation. I asked reception to extend my apologies and refund the products purchased, even though the product was opened and could not be resold. I suggested a turmeric product that, unbeknownst to me, contained gelatin; listed in the "non-medicinal ingredients" part of the label. Most of the products from that company are vegetarian-friendly. I was surprised also that this one contained gelatin. In your last communication, you were to run some tests and return for a follow-up. With respect to the internet vs seeing a doctor, the internet offers an overwhelming amount of information, some good, some bad. The role of the doctor is guide, educate and very often, learn from the patient. I wish you all the best. My door is always open should you change your mind.

Submitted July 9, 2018

extremely patient,honest and upfront doctor i would highly recommend him to all my friends and family

flag | Submitted March 22, 2018

I met with Dr. JJ for the first time a few months ago about a minor medical annoyance. Through a thorough discussion, he uncovered some older issues I had long ago given up on. Specifically the migraines that had limited my activities all my life. Dr. JJ prescribed some changes to my supplements and I was surprised and delighted to learn that the migraines backed off significantly. So much so, that when I recently took a trip to Asia, an event that previously would have inevitably been fraught with pain and down-time, I was delighted to find I experienced no migraines at all, despite crossing the international date line and crossing 13 time zones, and a completely lost night's sleep. I arrived at my destination and after a short nap was ready to go! Although I still get occasional migraines this is certainly a game changer and I am so grateful to have met Dr JJ. He was engaging, generous and kind, but most importantly, he was right!

flag | Submitted March 8, 2018

Great experience, he is a good listener and friendly

flag | Submitted February 5, 2018

Dr. JJ has helped me tremendously in the past year that I have gone to see him. I was dealing with a series of different afflictions (burning nerve pain in my feet, fatigue, bladder and prostate blockage and weakness, attention and focus issues, to name a few) and he has not only been attentive and compassionate, he has a genuine sense for helping someone to supplement and support their own mind and body, to give the tools that you really need to help combat all kinds of different mental and physical ailments, and he even helps you to understand and feel comfortable with adjusting your supplementation to more or less as you need. He's easy to open up to and it is truly a pleasure to have him as my naturopath taking so much of his knowledge and putting in the effort he does to make it simple! Thank you for everything, Dr. JJ!

flag | Submitted January 15, 2018

Best doctor I have ever came across ! He’s really easygoing and solved all my issues first time. Super knowledgeable and takes his time to diagnose your symptoms rather than jumping to prescriptions like most doctors. Highly recommend him to anyone

flag | Submitted January 10, 2018

I have been a patient of Dr. JJ since May of 2017 and could not be happier with his care. In April 2017 I was diagnosed with a rare blood disorder - I was extremely overwhelmed with the diagnosis, and confused about my treatment options. I was under the care of a hematologist, and after one month of minimal improvement in my condition, I reached out to Dr. JJ. It has now been 8 months since my diagnosis and I am in complete remission with lab work all returning normal (something my specialist was not confident would ever happen)! From my first appt, Dr. JJ was honest and upfront about what he could do to help me. He spent time explaining basic elements of my condition that I never fully understood before, as I felt none of my doctors were as thorough or clear with me. I was still under the care of my hematologist, which was never an issue as Dr. JJ is extremely knowledgeable in western medicine as well. He came up with a plan including vitamins, supplements, homeopathy, etc, which I followed diligently. I am so happy with the success I have experienced with my health as a result of Dr. JJ’s treatment plans. I consider Dr. JJ apart of my primary healthcare team and have continued to see him for other issues, including minor ones. I never feel as though I am a bother to Dr. JJ as he truly cares about the health of his patients - he is extremely responsive through email if I cannot make it out for an appt., which has been very helpful for me. Overall, I’m very happy with the care I have received from Dr. JJ. and would recommend him to anyone!

flag | Submitted December 27, 2017

Dr. Jean-Jacques (JJ) Dugoua's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Jean-Jacques Dugoua ND PhD, or Dr. JJ as he is affectionately known, is a naturopathic doctor, clinical pharmacologist and researcher. He is the Chief Medical Officer of the Liberty Clinic in downtown Toronto and the first Naturopathic Doctor (ND) to practice at the Toronto Western Hospital in the Artist Health Center, one of the few NDs practicing in a hospital in Canada. He has worked with the Motherisk Program at Sick Kids Hospital and as an Associate Professor at the University of Toronto Leslie Dan Faculty of Pharmacy. Dr. JJ completed his PhD in Pharmacy Sciences at the University of Toronto. He has co-authored 2 books on pregnancy safety and one book on diabetes. Dr. JJ has many peer-reviewed scientific publications published or in press. He is a world expert on natural health products pharmacology and pregnancy safety. Local and nationwide print and television media frequently consult him to provide expert commentary. Dr. JJ is an avid public speaker. Dr. JJ has given presentations nationally and internationally, including presentations at the World Health Organization in Washington DC and at conferences in Canada, US, China and Hong Kong. "I practice science-based medicine, rely on holistic wisdom from the past and use natural treatments for disease", say Dr. JJ. He combines naturopathic medicine, clinical nutrition, evidence-based medicine and intravenous (IV) therapies in his treatments. He has worked with patients suffering from chronic disease, including cancer, infertility, diabetes, arthritis, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, multiple chemical sensitivities, chronic pain, gastrointestinal disease, autoimmune disease and heart disease. In addition to general practice, his clinical focus is on fertility, pregnancy and cancer support during and after oncology treatments. He practices preventative medicine where patients are given treatment plans and health strategies to optimize their health. As the Director of the Liberty Clinic, Dr. JJ believes that working with a team of multi-disciplinary health professionals is the most successful route to help patients reach their health goals. "Four heads are better than one," says Dr. JJ. "My patients see results and they know that the whole team is looking out for their health from head to toe". As a patient of Dr. JJ, there is close communication with your medical doctor and any other health professional in your entourage. Dr. JJ believes that laughter is the best medicine. Be prepared to laugh when you meet Dr. JJ!

• English
  • French

• University of Toronto (Grad. 2011)
  • Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine (Grad. 2003)
  • McGill University (Grad. 1994)

• 4th Annual Summer Institute in Maternal-Fetal Pharmacology – NICHD, ORWH (NIH) and IHDCYH (CIHR): 2008
  • Doctoral Thesis Grant – Society of Graduate Students, University of Toronto: 2009
  • William Knapp Buckley Award OSOTF (Ontario College of Pharmacists): 2007
  • Shoppers Drug Mart Ontario Graduate Scholarship: 2008
  • Shoppers Drug Mart Ontario Graduate Scholarship: 2007
  • Poster Prize - Sick Kids Foundation Forum on Complementary and Alternative Health care and Paediatrics: 2007
  • Complementary and Alternative Health Care and Pediatrics Masters Scholarship - Sick Kids Foundation: 2006
  • Graduate scholarship - North American Research Conference on Complementary and Integrative Medicine,: 2006
  • Graduate fellowship – Leslie Dan Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Toronto: 2006
  • Research scholarship - The Royal Canadian Geographic Society: 1993