Ratings for Jean-Jacques (JJ) Dugoua

Dr. JJ is an amazing doctor! He takes the time to listen to your concerns and responds with knowledge, care and compassion. Initially, I came to him a few years after I had a pituitary tumour removed (diagnosed as having Cushing's disease at 24, surgery at 25) but still felt fatigued and my hair was thinning out at an alarming rate. My thyroid blood work showed 5.4 but with desiccated thyroid meds it went down to 2.7. However, I stopped taking it for a few months and my level rose back up to 4.2 which my regular doctor told me was fine even though my hair was thinning and I had to take daily naps. In addition, I began taking 10 000 mcg of Biotin as per Dr.JJ's recommendation , which has helped my hair to grow back. Dr. JJ gave me a plan to follow and I feel that I'm getting better every day. I'm 35 and very happy that I met such a wonderful naturopathic doctor. I feel confident in his expertise since he also has a PhD in Pharmaceutical Science and knows which drugs/vitamins interact with each other. I highly recommend Dr. JJ to anyone who is seeking a solution to their health issues. It is very rare to find a kind and empathetic doctor who is genuinely in this profession for the right reasons. Thank you Dr. JJ!

flag | Submitted December 15, 2018

Jean-Jacques (JJ) Dugoua

Jean-Jacques (JJ) Dugoua's response
Dessicated thyroid can work quite well for some people. I'm so happy it worked for you. Hair is important! Energy is important! Glad it's coming back. Keep up the good work.

Submitted April 15, 2019

I was traveling around asia for almost a year and got all the shots they tell you to get but I guess I picked something up anyway. I found JJ online when I was looking for help to treat this and come up with a game plan for whenever I travel again. He helped me come up with a co-treatment to discuss with my family doctor and get some special tests done. I'm happy to say that all's better now and if you have any infection issues you want to treat or avoid, for me doctor JJ was really helpful in getting past it all and back to normal.

flag | Submitted November 17, 2019

Thanks for everything, Dr. JJ! My husband and I got married later in life than most couples. He's also a little older than I am. We wanted to have a baby before it got too late for us and that we'd probably have to work a little harder than most people to make it happen. So, we looked around for some doctors who help couples have a better chance of getting pregnant and helping in pre-natal development. After meeting a few in the city, we decide on Dr. JJ. He was so nice and comfortable to be around. He had lots of experience with these kinds of situations and a good record with helping couples succeed. In short, we finally succeeded after some trying and changes to our life and overall health and now our son is just over 4 months old and is happy and healthy.

flag | Submitted October 31, 2019

For a few years now I have been seeing JJ for just general health checkups and maintenance. He's just like my family physician now. But just over a year ago my mom was diagnosed with cancer. She went through all the regular treatments and hospital visits. They were able to get rid of it and she's now in remission. If you know anyone who's ever had cancer, you know how they look and feel after beating it. I started to bring my mom to see JJ for post cancer support visits and treatment plans to help her get back to her normal feeling self as quickly as possible. She looking and feeling almost her past self again and her diet and lifestyle is so much better. Dr. JJ makes her laugh and smile a lot because he's got so much personality and you can see he really cares. She was a bit skeptical at first but Dr. JJ explains how well both the standard medical system and naturopathic medicine actually work so well together for many health issues. And since JJ is also an expert in pharmaceutical science, he's very knowledgeable with the standard cancer treatment protocols and the medications patients have to take.

flag | Submitted October 25, 2019

Ive had some hair and skin issues for a few years now and last summer I finally decided to see dr JJ for some help. He did some very thorough tests and gave me some suggestions for lifestyle changes along with some herbs and dietary changes to incorporate. Ive seen quite a bit of improvements in both since and finally feel excited about getting past all this soon. Overall, I'd recommend dr. JJ because he's so friendly and personable and very attentive.

flag | Submitted October 18, 2019

I highly recommend Dr. JJ in Toronto. I travel from NYC for his work with pregnant woman taking supplements and his fertility treatments. We got pregnant, despite hypothyroid blood levels and fibroids! I continue to work on shrinking my fibroids with much success and no surgery. Thank you for your patience, listening and care.

flag | Submitted August 17, 2019

I'm a patient of Dr. JJ from Toronto Western Hospital. If you are an artist, musician, dancer, actor or any artist, there is a subsidy program to see Dr. JJ at the Artist Health Clinic. I see Dr. JJ for chronic sinus, blocked ears and post-nasal drip. Clear breathing is important when you play a wind instrument. I'm 95% better now as long as I am careful with trigger foods in my diet. I took the plane last month without pain, normally my ears kill. Very helpful over there at Artist Health. They also have a chiropractor, physio, shiatsu, massage and therapy.

flag | Submitted August 13, 2019

J'ai lu de très bons commentaires sur Dr JJ et j'ai décidé d'aller le voir pour mes démarches d'assainissement alimentaire. Étant originairement de France, je ne savais pas vraiment à qui m'adresser. Tous les commentaires positifs que j'avais lus sur Dr JJ ont été confirmés dès la première rencontre. Il a de toute évidence de solides connaissances sur le domaine, a de très bons conseils à partager, est à l'écoute, ne porte aucun jugement et est très efficace. Il a récemment commencé à m'aider pour ma grossesse et les conseils qu'il a partagé en l'espace de 30mn de Rdv ont largement dépassé mes attentes. J'ai découvert après coup que les Rdv sont remboursés par ma mutuelle (jusqu'à un certain montant) donc ça vaut vraiment la peine ! Un grand merci !

flag | Submitted July 23, 2019

I came to see Dr. JJ with a long long list of ailments. He was patient, understanding not intimidated by my difficult case. We mapped out a plan that I could manage and the long long list soon became a shorter list. He is wonderful. So helpful. It started with my psoriasis. On my head in the beginning, than it went to my eyebrows. A few months later, elbows, knees and some plaques starting on my belly. Dr. JJ said that a very strict elimination diet would help, but I wasn't ready. So we worked on my liver, gut and took some oils. This helped a bit for my scalp actually, much better after 1 month. The other patches continued to bother me, so we went with the hardcore diet. I thought Dr. JJ was crazy, but it wasn't so awfull once I got the hang of it. I like fish and turkey, buckwheat was tasty instead of wheat and most of the fruits and veg were ok. 3 months later, my plaques were pink and not red and flaky. at about 5 months, there were almost all gone. Now I'm dealing with the discoloration, which get's better every day. He helped me with a few bronchitis and 1 terrible flu. Helped me with some anxiety issues and connected me with a lovely psychotherapist who was covered under OHIP (much much appreciated). It took about a year, but we got rid of my fatty liver. Runs in the family. A few injuries in there. Healed with a little acupuncture and supplements. A very positive experience. I recommend him to anyone who asks about naturopath. Whenever anything comes up on my list, he's the first I see.

flag | Submitted July 12, 2019

Hello, Dr JJ has helped me with my digestive issues and fatigue. I have been having IBS issues for a few years with alternance of cramps, diarrhea and constipation. They have significantly improved with the use of probiotics, L-glutamine and Dr JJ dietary recommendations. He listens and provides great advice. Thank you Dr JJ your amazing

flag | Submitted July 10, 2019

Jean-Jacques (JJ) Dugoua's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Jean-Jacques Dugoua ND PhD, or Dr. JJ as he is affectionately known, is a naturopathic doctor, clinical pharmacologist and researcher. He is the Chief Medical Officer of the Liberty Clinic in downtown Toronto and the first Naturopathic Doctor (ND) to practice at the Toronto Western Hospital in the Artist Health Center, one of the few NDs practicing in a hospital in Canada. He has worked with the Motherisk Program at Sick Kids Hospital and as an Associate Professor at the University of Toronto Leslie Dan Faculty of Pharmacy. Dr. JJ completed his PhD in Pharmacy Sciences at the University of Toronto. He has co-authored 2 books on pregnancy safety and one book on diabetes. Dr. JJ has many peer-reviewed scientific publications published or in press. He is a world expert on natural health products pharmacology and pregnancy safety. Local and nationwide print and television media frequently consult him to provide expert commentary. Dr. JJ is an avid public speaker. Dr. JJ has given presentations nationally and internationally, including presentations at the World Health Organization in Washington DC and at conferences in Canada, US, China and Hong Kong. "I practice science-based medicine, rely on holistic wisdom from the past and use natural treatments for disease", say Dr. JJ. He combines naturopathic medicine, clinical nutrition, evidence-based medicine and intravenous (IV) therapies in his treatments. He has worked with patients suffering from chronic disease, including cancer, infertility, diabetes, arthritis, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, multiple chemical sensitivities, chronic pain, gastrointestinal disease, autoimmune disease and heart disease. In addition to general practice, his clinical focus is on fertility, pregnancy and cancer support during and after oncology treatments. He practices preventative medicine where patients are given treatment plans and health strategies to optimize their health. As the Director of the Liberty Clinic, Dr. JJ believes that working with a team of multi-disciplinary health professionals is the most successful route to help patients reach their health goals. "Four heads are better than one," says Dr. JJ. "My patients see results and they know that the whole team is looking out for their health from head to toe". As a patient of Dr. JJ, there is close communication with your medical doctor and any other health professional in your entourage. Dr. JJ believes that laughter is the best medicine. Be prepared to laugh when you meet Dr. JJ!

• English
  • French

• University of Toronto (Grad. 2011)
  • Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine (Grad. 2003)
  • McGill University (Grad. 1994)

• 4th Annual Summer Institute in Maternal-Fetal Pharmacology – NICHD, ORWH (NIH) and IHDCYH (CIHR): 2008
  • Doctoral Thesis Grant – Society of Graduate Students, University of Toronto: 2009
  • William Knapp Buckley Award OSOTF (Ontario College of Pharmacists): 2007
  • Shoppers Drug Mart Ontario Graduate Scholarship: 2008
  • Shoppers Drug Mart Ontario Graduate Scholarship: 2007
  • Poster Prize - Sick Kids Foundation Forum on Complementary and Alternative Health care and Paediatrics: 2007
  • Complementary and Alternative Health Care and Pediatrics Masters Scholarship - Sick Kids Foundation: 2006
  • Graduate scholarship - North American Research Conference on Complementary and Integrative Medicine,: 2006
  • Graduate fellowship – Leslie Dan Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Toronto: 2006
  • Research scholarship - The Royal Canadian Geographic Society: 1993