Dr. Jean-Jacques (JJ) Dugoua

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Jean-Jacques (JJ) Dugoua

I have been a patient of Dr. JJ since May of 2017 and could not be happier with his care. In April 2017 I was diagnosed with a rare blood disorder - I was extremely overwhelmed with the diagnosis, and confused about my treatment options. I was under the care of a hematologist, and after one month of minimal improvement in my condition, I reached out to Dr. JJ. It has now been 8 months since my diagnosis and I am in complete remission with lab work all returning normal (something my specialist was not confident would ever happen)! From my first appt, Dr. JJ was honest and upfront about what he could do to help me. He spent time explaining basic elements of my condition that I never fully understood before, as I felt none of my doctors were as thorough or clear with me. I was still under the care of my hematologist, which was never an issue as Dr. JJ is extremely knowledgeable in western medicine as well. He came up with a plan including vitamins, supplements, homeopathy, etc, which I followed diligently. I am so happy with the success I have experienced with my health as a result of Dr. JJ’s treatment plans. I consider Dr. JJ apart of my primary healthcare team and have continued to see him for other issues, including minor ones. I never feel as though I am a bother to Dr. JJ as he truly cares about the health of his patients - he is extremely responsive through email if I cannot make it out for an appt., which has been very helpful for me. Overall, I’m very happy with the care I have received from Dr. JJ. and would recommend him to anyone!

flag | Submitted December 27, 2017

Great experience, he is a good listener and friendly

flag | Submitted February 5, 2018

Dr. JJ has helped me tremendously in the past year that I have gone to see him. I was dealing with a series of different afflictions (burning nerve pain in my feet, fatigue, bladder and prostate blockage and weakness, attention and focus issues, to name a few) and he has not only been attentive and compassionate, he has a genuine sense for helping someone to supplement and support their own mind and body, to give the tools that you really need to help combat all kinds of different mental and physical ailments, and he even helps you to understand and feel comfortable with adjusting your supplementation to more or less as you need. He's easy to open up to and it is truly a pleasure to have him as my naturopath taking so much of his knowledge and putting in the effort he does to make it simple! Thank you for everything, Dr. JJ!

flag | Submitted January 15, 2018

Best doctor I have ever came across ! He’s really easygoing and solved all my issues first time. Super knowledgeable and takes his time to diagnose your symptoms rather than jumping to prescriptions like most doctors. Highly recommend him to anyone

flag | Submitted January 10, 2018

I was so bloated, I looked pregnant. I started my day with a flat stomach but by dinner time, I looked 6 months pregnant!! The gas was terrible, the cramps were terrible. IT was terrible. Someone in my office suggested I see a naturopath, I was skeptical, but needed help FAST. I went to see Dr. JJ where he suggested this and that. I tried this and that, but continued to be skeptical. I AM NO LONGER BLOATED. It worked, I feel great. THANK YOU.

flag | Submitted November 27, 2017

I had been struggling with a digestive issue for 10 years seeing many doctors with no result. Dr JJ listened to all of my issues and was able to resolve the issue that no one else could. His manner is gentle and understanding and his knowledge is exemplary. Thank you Dr JJ for all your help!

flag | Submitted November 8, 2017

J'ai l'opportunité et la chance de pouvoir consulter le Dr Dugoua lors de mes visites à Toronto. Ces précieux conseils (en français d'ailleurs) m'aident énormément ds ma vie de tous les jours. Mes visites à sa clinique sont comme un ressourcement.

flag | Submitted October 2, 2017

Dr. JJ helped me make sense of my thyroid. I always knew something wasn't right with my metabolism but my results were always normal.  Dr. JJ said that he applies a functional medicine interpretation of TSH and found that I had subclinical hypothyroid. He had me check my daily temperatures and get more labs through my GP (t3, reverse T3). It worked.  My energy is slowly coming back and my workouts actually help me to lose weight now.  I feel so much better.

flag | Submitted August 30, 2017

Where do I start!? I've been seeing Dr. JJ for 11 years now and still going strong. I've never had to return to him with the same issue because he always resolves them. He is extremely knowledgeable in MANY areas, fabulous bedside manners, very thorough and accurate. He provides many alternatives to medicine which actually work!!! I don't know what I would have done without him. He responds to my emails within the same day and does over the phone appointments if I'm out of town. I highly recommend Dr.JJ!!

flag | Submitted August 28, 2017

I've been seeing Dr. JJ for 10 years+ on and off, and my wife for about 5 years+. Great doctor, very practical advice, easy steps to follow so that I didn't have to radically change my lifestyle - he didn't take me off meat or booze, but did suggest I quit smoking, outlets, have more me-time, etc. He didn't make me stop all my prescription drugs, rather worked with what I was on (I take next to nil now). He's helped me with stress, vertigo and IBS.  He’s helped my wife with her autoimmune condition with really good supplement suggestions, diet stuff and a lot of common sense suggestions. We see him when we need to. Pretty quick on email answers since we're often overseas. Quick to return a call when we’ve been sick. A+ highly recommend.

flag | Submitted August 21, 2017

Dr. Jean-Jacques (JJ) Dugoua's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Jean-Jacques Dugoua ND PhD, or Dr. JJ as he is affectionately known, is a naturopathic doctor, clinical pharmacologist and researcher. He is the Chief Medical Officer of the Liberty Clinic in downtown Toronto and the first Naturopathic Doctor (ND) to practice at the Toronto Western Hospital in the Artist Health Center, one of the few NDs practicing in a hospital in Canada. He has worked with the Motherisk Program at Sick Kids Hospital and as an Associate Professor at the University of Toronto Leslie Dan Faculty of Pharmacy. Dr. JJ completed his PhD in Pharmacy Sciences at the University of Toronto. He has co-authored 2 books on pregnancy safety and one book on diabetes. Dr. JJ has many peer-reviewed scientific publications published or in press. He is a world expert on natural health products pharmacology and pregnancy safety. Local and nationwide print and television media frequently consult him to provide expert commentary. Dr. JJ is an avid public speaker. Dr. JJ has given presentations nationally and internationally, including presentations at the World Health Organization in Washington DC and at conferences in Canada, US, China and Hong Kong. "I practice science-based medicine, rely on holistic wisdom from the past and use natural treatments for disease", say Dr. JJ. He combines naturopathic medicine, clinical nutrition, evidence-based medicine and intravenous (IV) therapies in his treatments. He has worked with patients suffering from chronic disease, including cancer, infertility, diabetes, arthritis, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, multiple chemical sensitivities, chronic pain, gastrointestinal disease, autoimmune disease and heart disease. In addition to general practice, his clinical focus is on fertility, pregnancy and cancer support during and after oncology treatments. He practices preventative medicine where patients are given treatment plans and health strategies to optimize their health. As the Director of the Liberty Clinic, Dr. JJ believes that working with a team of multi-disciplinary health professionals is the most successful route to help patients reach their health goals. "Four heads are better than one," says Dr. JJ. "My patients see results and they know that the whole team is looking out for their health from head to toe". As a patient of Dr. JJ, there is close communication with your medical doctor and any other health professional in your entourage. Dr. JJ believes that laughter is the best medicine. Be prepared to laugh when you meet Dr. JJ!

• English
  • French

• University of Toronto (Grad. 2011)
  • Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine (Grad. 2003)
  • McGill University (Grad. 1994)

• 4th Annual Summer Institute in Maternal-Fetal Pharmacology – NICHD, ORWH (NIH) and IHDCYH (CIHR): 2008
  • Doctoral Thesis Grant – Society of Graduate Students, University of Toronto: 2009
  • William Knapp Buckley Award OSOTF (Ontario College of Pharmacists): 2007
  • Shoppers Drug Mart Ontario Graduate Scholarship: 2008
  • Shoppers Drug Mart Ontario Graduate Scholarship: 2007
  • Poster Prize - Sick Kids Foundation Forum on Complementary and Alternative Health care and Paediatrics: 2007
  • Complementary and Alternative Health Care and Pediatrics Masters Scholarship - Sick Kids Foundation: 2006
  • Graduate scholarship - North American Research Conference on Complementary and Integrative Medicine,: 2006
  • Graduate fellowship – Leslie Dan Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Toronto: 2006
  • Research scholarship - The Royal Canadian Geographic Society: 1993