Dr. Jean-Jacques (JJ) Dugoua

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Jean-Jacques (JJ) Dugoua

Dr. JJ has helped me tremendously in the past year that I have gone to see him. I was dealing with a series of different afflictions (burning nerve pain in my feet, fatigue, bladder and prostate blockage and weakness, attention and focus issues, to name a few) and he has not only been attentive and compassionate, he has a genuine sense for helping someone to supplement and support their own mind and body, to give the tools that you really need to help combat all kinds of different mental and physical ailments, and he even helps you to understand and feel comfortable with adjusting your supplementation to more or less as you need. He's easy to open up to and it is truly a pleasure to have him as my naturopath taking so much of his knowledge and putting in the effort he does to make it simple! Thank you for everything, Dr. JJ!

flag | Submitted January 15, 2018

I saw Dr JJ so I could make sure my meds and my eating were aligned. His knowledge is amazing and his soft spoken bed side manner really puts one at ease. The Staff and others who practice in his clinic are professional and excellent practitioners. I can’t recommend him enough. If you have any conditions form mile to chronic he can ease your symptoms if not help to solve the problem.

flag | Submitted October 9, 2018

Our son suffered regularly from bloating and gas. Dr. JJ was instrumental in helping us identify his food sensitivities. By reducing his consumption of the identified foods, the bloating has gone down significantly and our son no longer suffers from excessive gas. We were very grateful for Dr. JJ’s expertise and guidance. He is personable, professional, and knowledgeable. We would recommend his services 100%.

flag | Submitted October 9, 2018

Dr. JJ is an honest, personable physician who treated me both internally and externally. He treated me with acupuncture and an adjustment, as well as herbal supplements that made me feel fantastic. His office is comfortable and very central in the city. I'll go back to him again!

flag | Submitted October 3, 2018

Dr JJ is an exceptional naturopath. I turned to him for support when I was feeling sluggish and worn out all the time. With his support my energy is back up and I am feeling much better.

flag | Submitted September 6, 2018

Dr. JJ is awesome! He's a great listener, really kind and compassionate, and really cares about getting his patients better. He's also got a good sense of humour, which comes in handy. He's not only a highly knowledgeable naturopath, but he's also really knowledgeable in many areas including environmental medicine and has a PhD in pharmacy - which is rare among ND! You couldn't ask for a better combo!

flag | Submitted September 5, 2018

Dr JJ, Pierre (osteopath) and the team at the Liberty Clinic are amazing. I have been struggling with a digestive issue for 8 years and finally I have found a team who is working together to resolve it. The best thing I have ever done for my overall health was to start with Dr JJ and when we added Pierre into the mix things got even better.

flag | Submitted July 25, 2018

Dr. JJ is amazing. He has helped my kids and I with many issues. After being treated by Dr.Jj ( I had strep throat 2-3 times per year) I have been in the clear for over 10 years and haven’t had to take antibiotics for anything ever since. I credit him for saving my tonsils. He also treated and cleared my 8 month old sons rash overnight! He listens, takes his time and I would recommend him in a heartbeat. He is very caring and down to earth.

flag | Submitted July 14, 2018

Very personable doctor and I appreciated punctuality. Staff is also very friendly and welcoming. Unfortunately, I didn't get much out of my appointment other than usual stuff you read on the internet (and I made an appointment to get more). Also, big disappointment was that after an hour discussion about my dietary restrictions and the fact that I am vegetarian, the doctor recommended supplement that is NOT vegetarian friendly. On a flip side, staff was very accommodating and refunded for the pills even tho I used them. It may have been my mistake for not checking the label but you don't expect that when a doctor hands you the supplement. Also, quite disappointing that I have not heard from him with apology. After all the good reviews unfortunately I will not be going back due to lack of confidence with this doctor.

flag | Submitted July 9, 2018

Dr. Jean-Jacques (JJ) Dugoua

Dr. Jean-Jacques (JJ) Dugoua's response
I'm sorry to read that you were not satisfied with your first visit. Our reception received an email from you while I was on vacation. I asked reception to extend my apologies and refund the products purchased, even though the product was opened and could not be resold. I suggested a turmeric product that, unbeknownst to me, contained gelatin; listed in the "non-medicinal ingredients" part of the label. Most of the products from that company are vegetarian-friendly. I was surprised also that this one contained gelatin. In your last communication, you were to run some tests and return for a follow-up. With respect to the internet vs seeing a doctor, the internet offers an overwhelming amount of information, some good, some bad. The role of the doctor is guide, educate and very often, learn from the patient. I wish you all the best. My door is always open should you change your mind.

Submitted July 9, 2018

I was bless to find Dr. JJ through the Al through Malka Green Clinic for Artists at Toronto Western Hospital (http://artistshealth.com/about-ahc/). Dr. JJ and the other therapists on staff there have been enormously helpful in my recovery from a 2014 car accident. After more than 2 frustrating years (loads of physio and one surgery), in trying to recover, I felt so frustrated, moving 2 steps forward and 1.9 back every few weeks. I had built up enormous anxiety and depression, and no luck with anti-depressants, which affected my sleep cycle. Dr. JJ's recommendations to address these and other issues have been so helpful. Most of all I feel listened to and believed, even when what I've had to say does not fit into the medical model under which he was educated. Noteworthy with Dr. JJ is that he also has a PhD in pharmacology, which is highly unusual for an ND. The physio and other therapists there have turned my life around. Progress is slow (I had to LEARN to be PATIENT), but it's steady. (If I stray, I pay, and I notice it right away, or at latest, next day!) Five stars for the entire team at the Green Clinic. I travel 2-3 hours to get there and it's well worth it! I've gone from daily, to weekly to semi-monthly and now monthly in the span of about 6 months. That's why I said: 'Blessed!."

flag | Submitted May 10, 2018

Dr. Jean-Jacques (JJ) Dugoua's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Jean-Jacques Dugoua ND PhD, or Dr. JJ as he is affectionately known, is a naturopathic doctor, clinical pharmacologist and researcher. He is the Chief Medical Officer of the Liberty Clinic in downtown Toronto and the first Naturopathic Doctor (ND) to practice at the Toronto Western Hospital in the Artist Health Center, one of the few NDs practicing in a hospital in Canada. He has worked with the Motherisk Program at Sick Kids Hospital and as an Associate Professor at the University of Toronto Leslie Dan Faculty of Pharmacy. Dr. JJ completed his PhD in Pharmacy Sciences at the University of Toronto. He has co-authored 2 books on pregnancy safety and one book on diabetes. Dr. JJ has many peer-reviewed scientific publications published or in press. He is a world expert on natural health products pharmacology and pregnancy safety. Local and nationwide print and television media frequently consult him to provide expert commentary. Dr. JJ is an avid public speaker. Dr. JJ has given presentations nationally and internationally, including presentations at the World Health Organization in Washington DC and at conferences in Canada, US, China and Hong Kong. "I practice science-based medicine, rely on holistic wisdom from the past and use natural treatments for disease", say Dr. JJ. He combines naturopathic medicine, clinical nutrition, evidence-based medicine and intravenous (IV) therapies in his treatments. He has worked with patients suffering from chronic disease, including cancer, infertility, diabetes, arthritis, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, multiple chemical sensitivities, chronic pain, gastrointestinal disease, autoimmune disease and heart disease. In addition to general practice, his clinical focus is on fertility, pregnancy and cancer support during and after oncology treatments. He practices preventative medicine where patients are given treatment plans and health strategies to optimize their health. As the Director of the Liberty Clinic, Dr. JJ believes that working with a team of multi-disciplinary health professionals is the most successful route to help patients reach their health goals. "Four heads are better than one," says Dr. JJ. "My patients see results and they know that the whole team is looking out for their health from head to toe". As a patient of Dr. JJ, there is close communication with your medical doctor and any other health professional in your entourage. Dr. JJ believes that laughter is the best medicine. Be prepared to laugh when you meet Dr. JJ!

• English
  • French

• University of Toronto (Grad. 2011)
  • Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine (Grad. 2003)
  • McGill University (Grad. 1994)

• 4th Annual Summer Institute in Maternal-Fetal Pharmacology – NICHD, ORWH (NIH) and IHDCYH (CIHR): 2008
  • Doctoral Thesis Grant – Society of Graduate Students, University of Toronto: 2009
  • William Knapp Buckley Award OSOTF (Ontario College of Pharmacists): 2007
  • Shoppers Drug Mart Ontario Graduate Scholarship: 2008
  • Shoppers Drug Mart Ontario Graduate Scholarship: 2007
  • Poster Prize - Sick Kids Foundation Forum on Complementary and Alternative Health care and Paediatrics: 2007
  • Complementary and Alternative Health Care and Pediatrics Masters Scholarship - Sick Kids Foundation: 2006
  • Graduate scholarship - North American Research Conference on Complementary and Integrative Medicine,: 2006
  • Graduate fellowship – Leslie Dan Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Toronto: 2006
  • Research scholarship - The Royal Canadian Geographic Society: 1993