Outstanding Staff Badge
World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Jean-Jacques (JJ) Dugoua

Dr. JJ is an amazing doctor! He takes the time to listen to your concerns and responds with knowledge, care and compassion. Initially, I came to him a few years after I had a pituitary tumour removed (diagnosed as having Cushing's disease at 24, surgery at 25) but still felt fatigued and my hair was thinning out at an alarming rate. My thyroid blood work showed 5.4 but with desiccated thyroid meds it went down to 2.7. However, I stopped taking it for a few months and my level rose back up to 4.2 which my regular doctor told me was fine even though my hair was thinning and I had to take daily naps. In addition, I began taking 10 000 mcg of Biotin as per Dr.JJ's recommendation , which has helped my hair to grow back. Dr. JJ gave me a plan to follow and I feel that I'm getting better every day. I'm 35 and very happy that I met such a wonderful naturopathic doctor. I feel confident in his expertise since he also has a PhD in Pharmaceutical Science and knows which drugs/vitamins interact with each other. I highly recommend Dr. JJ to anyone who is seeking a solution to their health issues. It is very rare to find a kind and empathetic doctor who is genuinely in this profession for the right reasons. Thank you Dr. JJ!

flag | Submitted December 15, 2018

Jean-Jacques (JJ) Dugoua's response
Dessicated thyroid can work quite well for some people. I'm so happy it worked for you. Hair is important! Energy is important! Glad it's coming back. Keep up the good work.

Submitted April 15, 2019

Dr. JJ is a brilliant naturopath! I’ve met with other naturopaths and they weren’t nearly as knowledgeable, experienced or approachable. On our first visit, he spent well over an hour asking me questions about my health, habits, family health, meds AND he did the most detailed physical I ever received. I was having a very tough time regulating my unpredictable, painful periods. During my physical, he found a hard mass around my waist area. He had me see my family doctor right away to get an ultrasound. My family doctor initially refused to order the ultrasound, saying there was nothing there, but I sensed something was wrong. I pushed and pushed for it, finally he agreed. I had a 11 cm fibroid in my uterus. I was sent to the gyne and it was taken out. Dr. JJ worked with me before and after the surgery to get me back to a full recovery. Afterwards, he gave me some herbs and some vitamins (not too pricey). Now my periods are monthly and a breeze. Without Dr. JJ, I’m sure I would still be in pain and uncomfortable so I am extremely thankful that I found him! I have recommended him to all of my family and friends (even those skeptical of naturopaths) as I believe in him so much. Thank you Dr. JJ for changing my life for the better!

flag | Submitted June 13, 2019

Dr. JJ has helped me so very much. He is an extremely knowledgeable doctor. I was unable to receive the care that I needed at other clinics. Dr. JJ is very patient. He answered my 101 questions. And, he never gave up on me. I highly recommend that people visit him.

flag | Submitted May 11, 2019

I am so happy to be a patient of Dr. JJ. With his knowledge and support, I overcame a very difficult problem with my stomach. He was very patient and answered all of my 101 questions. I searched for answers, and he is the only one who had them. His ideas were brilliant. And, he never gave up on me.

flag | Submitted May 10, 2019

In 5 years I work with Dr.JJ, he help me with chronic pain in my hands, neck, feet, knee and to recover surgery. 95% better now and occasional pain, more in winter. I had bad food and diarrhea from travelling, he fixed. My allergies were bad, now better. He said a detox would help. Sneeze less, no runny eyes. Funny guy. Answers emails. Nice people at front desk.

flag | Submitted May 7, 2019

Dr JJ was very helpful after my abdominal surgery for endometriosis. He has helped me with my fatigue and digestive issues. He listens and truly tries to help. He is very knowledgable and his advise helped me out a lot.

flag | Submitted April 25, 2019

For a few years now i've been seeing dr jj to get help for a variety of issues that I wasn't getting help for with my family doctors. Some of his solutions seemed so simple in hindsight but really have made a difference. I'm surprised that even my family doctors over the years weren't even suggesting dietary changes and testing, lifestyle changes, and mindset changes. My energy levels are so much better now that I'm able to get about and do normal things again. I'm still dealing with some pain but overall the relief from what it was has also made a huge difference in my ability to get out again. Dr JJ goes into great detail to with me and takes the time to figure out solutions. I think these have been the greatest difference from my experience with family doctors too. I feel like he really cares. I highly recommend him if you feel like you've tried other practitioners of some kind with unsatisfactory experiences or results.

flag | Submitted April 9, 2019

Jean-Jacques (JJ) Dugoua's response
Applause for great energy and less pain! Keep up the great work and happy to have helped.

Submitted April 15, 2019

Dr. JJ is an excellent doctor. I highly recommend him!

flag | Submitted April 8, 2019

Jean-Jacques (JJ) Dugoua's response
Thanks for the positive feedback. Much appreciated.

Submitted April 15, 2019

Dr. JJ has been a super nice and all-round amazing towards me and my health issues. I feel like he personally cares about me and my health each time I see him. His friendly and understanding demeanor makes it very comfortable to deal with my issues which has made it much easier for me to seek treatment and get help. I like going to the clinic as the staff are very nice and the environment is private and unintimidating.

flag | Submitted April 5, 2019

Jean-Jacques (JJ) Dugoua's response
We're generally pretty nice, chilled and friendly at the clinic. Thanks for the kind words. Happy we were able to help.

Submitted April 15, 2019

I searched rateMDs to find a naturopath in Toronto that treats constipation. Thankfully, I was not disappointed. He worked with what I was doing already. After some adjustments, an increase in one of my supplements and better diet choices (he said sourdough breads and European cheeses are OK - yay!). I feel so much better. Things are moving along... daily. We're working on my acne now. I'm happy with how things are going.

flag | Submitted April 1, 2019

Jean-Jacques (JJ) Dugoua's response
Constipation is just plain uncomfortable. Glad things are moving along (ahem). Keep up the good work. We're making progress with the acne. Happy to have been of assistance.

Jean-Jacques (JJ) Dugoua's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Jean-Jacques Dugoua ND PhD, or Dr. JJ as he is affectionately known, is a naturopathic doctor, clinical pharmacologist and researcher. He is the Chief Medical Officer of the Liberty Clinic in downtown Toronto and the first Naturopathic Doctor (ND) to practice at the Toronto Western Hospital in the Artist Health Center, one of the few NDs practicing in a hospital in Canada. He has worked with the Motherisk Program at Sick Kids Hospital and as an Associate Professor at the University of Toronto Leslie Dan Faculty of Pharmacy. Dr. JJ completed his PhD in Pharmacy Sciences at the University of Toronto. He has co-authored 2 books on pregnancy safety and one book on diabetes. Dr. JJ has many peer-reviewed scientific publications published or in press. He is a world expert on natural health products pharmacology and pregnancy safety. Local and nationwide print and television media frequently consult him to provide expert commentary. Dr. JJ is an avid public speaker. Dr. JJ has given presentations nationally and internationally, including presentations at the World Health Organization in Washington DC and at conferences in Canada, US, China and Hong Kong. "I practice science-based medicine, rely on holistic wisdom from the past and use natural treatments for disease", say Dr. JJ. He combines naturopathic medicine, clinical nutrition, evidence-based medicine and intravenous (IV) therapies in his treatments. He has worked with patients suffering from chronic disease, including cancer, infertility, diabetes, arthritis, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, multiple chemical sensitivities, chronic pain, gastrointestinal disease, autoimmune disease and heart disease. In addition to general practice, his clinical focus is on fertility, pregnancy and cancer support during and after oncology treatments. He practices preventative medicine where patients are given treatment plans and health strategies to optimize their health. As the Director of the Liberty Clinic, Dr. JJ believes that working with a team of multi-disciplinary health professionals is the most successful route to help patients reach their health goals. "Four heads are better than one," says Dr. JJ. "My patients see results and they know that the whole team is looking out for their health from head to toe". As a patient of Dr. JJ, there is close communication with your medical doctor and any other health professional in your entourage. Dr. JJ believes that laughter is the best medicine. Be prepared to laugh when you meet Dr. JJ!

• English
  • French

• University of Toronto (Grad. 2011)
  • Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine (Grad. 2003)
  • McGill University (Grad. 1994)

• 4th Annual Summer Institute in Maternal-Fetal Pharmacology – NICHD, ORWH (NIH) and IHDCYH (CIHR): 2008
  • Doctoral Thesis Grant – Society of Graduate Students, University of Toronto: 2009
  • William Knapp Buckley Award OSOTF (Ontario College of Pharmacists): 2007
  • Shoppers Drug Mart Ontario Graduate Scholarship: 2008
  • Shoppers Drug Mart Ontario Graduate Scholarship: 2007
  • Poster Prize - Sick Kids Foundation Forum on Complementary and Alternative Health care and Paediatrics: 2007
  • Complementary and Alternative Health Care and Pediatrics Masters Scholarship - Sick Kids Foundation: 2006
  • Graduate scholarship - North American Research Conference on Complementary and Integrative Medicine,: 2006
  • Graduate fellowship – Leslie Dan Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Toronto: 2006
  • Research scholarship - The Royal Canadian Geographic Society: 1993