Dr. Jean-Jacques (JJ) Dugoua

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Jean-Jacques (JJ) Dugoua

Dr. JJ is an amazing doctor! He takes the time to listen to your concerns and responds with knowledge, care and compassion. Initially, I came to him a few years after I had a pituitary tumour removed (diagnosed as having Cushing's disease at 24, surgery at 25) but still felt fatigued and my hair was thinning out at an alarming rate. My thyroid blood work showed 5.4 but with desiccated thyroid meds it went down to 2.7. However, I stopped taking it for a few months and my level rose back up to 4.2 which my regular doctor told me was fine even though my hair was thinning and I had to take daily naps. In addition, I began taking 10 000 mcg of Biotin as per Dr.JJ's recommendation , which has helped my hair to grow back. Dr. JJ gave me a plan to follow and I feel that I'm getting better every day. I'm 35 and very happy that I met such a wonderful naturopathic doctor. I feel confident in his expertise since he also has a PhD in Pharmaceutical Science and knows which drugs/vitamins interact with each other. I highly recommend Dr. JJ to anyone who is seeking a solution to their health issues. It is very rare to find a kind and empathetic doctor who is genuinely in this profession for the right reasons. Thank you Dr. JJ!

flag | Submitted December 15, 2018

I was referred to Dr. JJ through a friend of mine for being very smart and kind. He definitely lived up to his reputation! He was willing to work with me and my needs in terms of making a customized health plan and he has a truly interprofessional, integrative approach to holistic health. He sees the value in a holistic approach and through his referrals I also got to experience the benefits of an osteopath, chiropractor and psychotherapist. He helped me feel empowered about my health and that he was on my side. Very approachable and professional.

flag | Submitted December 18, 2018

Dr. JJ is really great! I've been dealing with him for two years now and everything I came to see him for has really worked out well for me. He's super friendly and attentive and has always been very generous and open. The clinic he works at is very clean, organized and has quite of bit to offer for health solutions overall. If you're looking for a naturopathic doctor to help you solve some of your problems, Dr. JJ is the one to see. What impressed me the most was that he is also a PhD in Pharmaceutical Science unlike any other naturopath in Toronto, so this made feel confident that he is a great bridge between the natural and the medical health worlds.

flag | Submitted December 6, 2018

Dr. JJ is a really kind and compassionate Naturopath. He really took the time to listen to me about all my issues. He was thorough and patiently answered all of my questions. I definitely will refer both my family and friends to him with confidence. Thank you JJ! I am feeling so much better now and I am getting a full night sleep and actually waking up rested and have energy! You rock!

flag | Submitted December 1, 2018

I wish I had found Dr. JJ sooner! I was having problems regulating my periods and wanted to get pregnant. He put me on an easy to follow treatment plan and answered all my questions about pre-pregnancy safety. His caring, thoughtful and compassionate manner always made me feel at ease. I'm happy to report I got pregnant under his care! I was looking for a naturopath in Toronto for so long and found the best! I can't thank you enough Dr. JJ. I'll be recommending you to everyone I know. :)

flag | Submitted November 24, 2018

I initially sought treatment from Dr. JJ for my celiac disease and how best to deal with and navigate all the associated symptoms and deficiencies. This turned into also working to regulate my thyroid and move towards more natural and effective forms of thyroid medicine. After throwing my thyroid levels out of whack from juicing way too many goitergenic vegetables, Dr. JJ worked with me to get my levels back on track. Dr. JJ is a wonderful doctor, full of knowledge and kindness.

flag | Submitted November 7, 2018

Thank you Dr. JJ. I live outside Toronto. My hometown naturopath found a Toronto naturopath to prescribe Erfa desiccated thyroid hormone. It was worth the travel to Toronto I tell you. I had hashimoto's and then my thyroid burned out. I have low thyroid (hypothyroid). The meds helped but I never felt like myself, the myself before the thyroid problems. I was tired, my hair was breaking, I exercise every 2 days but couldn't lose a pound. I found Dr. JJ and asked him if dessicated thyroid could help. He checked my labs and gave it a go. Day and night, what a change. Not tired anymore, getting the results from my workouts and seeing inches drop. So good. He found a reverse T3 problem also and fixed this. Ask about this. Positive positive positive feedback!

flag | Submitted October 20, 2018

I saw Dr JJ so I could make sure my meds and my eating were aligned. His knowledge is amazing and his soft spoken bed side manner really puts one at ease. The Staff and others who practice in his clinic are professional and excellent practitioners. I can’t recommend him enough. If you have any conditions form mile to chronic he can ease your symptoms if not help to solve the problem.

flag | Submitted October 9, 2018

Our son suffered regularly from bloating and gas. Dr. JJ was instrumental in helping us identify his food sensitivities. By reducing his consumption of the identified foods, the bloating has gone down significantly and our son no longer suffers from excessive gas. We were very grateful for Dr. JJ’s expertise and guidance. He is personable, professional, and knowledgeable. We would recommend his services 100%.

flag | Submitted October 9, 2018

Dr. JJ is an honest, personable physician who treated me both internally and externally. He treated me with acupuncture and an adjustment, as well as herbal supplements that made me feel fantastic. His office is comfortable and very central in the city. I'll go back to him again!

flag | Submitted October 3, 2018

Dr. Jean-Jacques (JJ) Dugoua's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Jean-Jacques Dugoua ND PhD, or Dr. JJ as he is affectionately known, is a naturopathic doctor, clinical pharmacologist and researcher. He is the Chief Medical Officer of the Liberty Clinic in downtown Toronto and the first Naturopathic Doctor (ND) to practice at the Toronto Western Hospital in the Artist Health Center, one of the few NDs practicing in a hospital in Canada. He has worked with the Motherisk Program at Sick Kids Hospital and as an Associate Professor at the University of Toronto Leslie Dan Faculty of Pharmacy. Dr. JJ completed his PhD in Pharmacy Sciences at the University of Toronto. He has co-authored 2 books on pregnancy safety and one book on diabetes. Dr. JJ has many peer-reviewed scientific publications published or in press. He is a world expert on natural health products pharmacology and pregnancy safety. Local and nationwide print and television media frequently consult him to provide expert commentary. Dr. JJ is an avid public speaker. Dr. JJ has given presentations nationally and internationally, including presentations at the World Health Organization in Washington DC and at conferences in Canada, US, China and Hong Kong. "I practice science-based medicine, rely on holistic wisdom from the past and use natural treatments for disease", say Dr. JJ. He combines naturopathic medicine, clinical nutrition, evidence-based medicine and intravenous (IV) therapies in his treatments. He has worked with patients suffering from chronic disease, including cancer, infertility, diabetes, arthritis, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, multiple chemical sensitivities, chronic pain, gastrointestinal disease, autoimmune disease and heart disease. In addition to general practice, his clinical focus is on fertility, pregnancy and cancer support during and after oncology treatments. He practices preventative medicine where patients are given treatment plans and health strategies to optimize their health. As the Director of the Liberty Clinic, Dr. JJ believes that working with a team of multi-disciplinary health professionals is the most successful route to help patients reach their health goals. "Four heads are better than one," says Dr. JJ. "My patients see results and they know that the whole team is looking out for their health from head to toe". As a patient of Dr. JJ, there is close communication with your medical doctor and any other health professional in your entourage. Dr. JJ believes that laughter is the best medicine. Be prepared to laugh when you meet Dr. JJ!

• English
  • French

• University of Toronto (Grad. 2011)
  • Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine (Grad. 2003)
  • McGill University (Grad. 1994)

• 4th Annual Summer Institute in Maternal-Fetal Pharmacology – NICHD, ORWH (NIH) and IHDCYH (CIHR): 2008
  • Doctoral Thesis Grant – Society of Graduate Students, University of Toronto: 2009
  • William Knapp Buckley Award OSOTF (Ontario College of Pharmacists): 2007
  • Shoppers Drug Mart Ontario Graduate Scholarship: 2008
  • Shoppers Drug Mart Ontario Graduate Scholarship: 2007
  • Poster Prize - Sick Kids Foundation Forum on Complementary and Alternative Health care and Paediatrics: 2007
  • Complementary and Alternative Health Care and Pediatrics Masters Scholarship - Sick Kids Foundation: 2006
  • Graduate scholarship - North American Research Conference on Complementary and Integrative Medicine,: 2006
  • Graduate fellowship – Leslie Dan Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Toronto: 2006
  • Research scholarship - The Royal Canadian Geographic Society: 1993