Ratings for Dr. Aftab Zafar

After a very long battle with a blocked tear duct (with many misdiagnosis), I was referred to Dr. Zafar. I have nothing but good things to say about Dr. Zafar. He was forthright, and upfront about the need for surgery. It was scheduled in a timely manner. Dr. Zafar was attentive before the surgery, and came to see me post-op to discuss some unexpected bleeding issues. I had instant relief as a result of this surgery. My interactions with Dr. Zafar were great, and I would recommend him to anyone. I never had to wait for my scheduled appointments, and I actually missed my first appointment due to a miscommunication, and was NOT charged for that. I am so happy to resume all activities in my life, that prior to this surgery, were not possible. THANK YOU Dr. Zafar! As I was leaving today, he was sure to remind me that if I had any problems, to please let him know.

flag | Submitted January 22, 2018

I seldom write reviews of any kind, but feel compelled to write this one for two main reasons. Firstly, the excellent diagnosis, surgical experience and follow-up monitoring I had with Dr. Zafar over the past six months. In total, I had four in office consultations and two surgical appointments (biopsy and excision). In each case, I found him to be very quiet and thoughtful by nature, and not condescending as some implied. Despite the daily pressures he must face, he also came across as calm, careful and reassuring. Secondly, some of the negative reviews I have read appear to be either related more to reception desk staff or seem trivial in nature relative to the very serous nature of most of Dr. Zafar’s surgeries around the eye areas of his patients. Yes, I too found one or two of the reception desk staff (during the spring and summer of 2017) to be in need of much better interpersonal skills, especially over the phone, but I also found one or two other support staff to be excellent, including the young lady who sets patients up in the examination rooms with some brief questions/tests just prior to Dr. Zafar’s consultations/diagnoses. Many reviewers may not know that there is a serious shortage of quality/reliable ophthalmologists in the K-W area, as well as a serious shortage of hospital infrastructure for ophthalmological surgeries. As far as I can tell, Dr. Zafar is the only specialist in the entire K-W area with the qualifications and skills to offer ophthalmological related skin surgeries for removing cancers or other potentially damaging growths around the eye areas. As a consequence, demand for his services is overwhelming, and lengthy waiting times are inevitable. There is also occasional rescheduling as situations change at the hospitals and reprioritization is needed. (The real culprit is often the deterioration of the OHIP system over the past 50 years, and the perverse set of incentives facing both doctors and patients, combined with lack of transparency by related medical bodies when things go wrong.) In any case, based on my individual personal experience with Dr. Zafar over the past 6 months, I am compelled to assess an overall rating of 5 stars.

flag | Submitted December 15, 2017

I am so upset. Specifically asked if they were running on time or if I should re-schedule appt as I was in a bit of a rush to get back to work. Yep, running on time. 40 minutes later I asked again to get a snotty response of "Dr. Zafar is a specialist and it takes time with each patient and doesn't typically run on time". WTF. I ended up re-scheduling after wasting 40 minutes waiting....likely will be cancelling my future appt as I don't want to deal with this snotty receptionist and the other person (not sure what she did other than look at my HC as she didn't answer the phone or take people into rooms or re-book new appts - no wonder you can NEVER get through to cancel or change an appt....) TERRIBLE.

flag | Submitted December 4, 2017

Mr. Zafar is greedy as heck. He wants $80 for a missed appointment. He was very unprofessional, didn't even introduce himself! He wanted $3000 to remove skin. He said that OHIP would not even cover the cost when I asked him. I had something similar being removed and told him about this. My doctor requested to get me covered from OHIP even though he thought that it would not work, although, it did. I requested Mr. Zafar if he could go process this to OHIP. He said that it would be a "0%" chance. He doesn't even wanted to try, he probably wanted to scam me for extra money, instead of getting less from OHIP. I would not even trust him to do surgery on me, he would certainly rush it just to get his money. That is all he wants. Money.

flag | Submitted October 26, 2017

Absolute worst dr. I have ever had the misfortune of being referred to. Very condescending, unprofessional (didn't even introduce himself) and has no manners. Do not go to him. Has a self-entitled attitude and I wouldn't trust his medical judgment, Shame on you!

flag | Submitted September 14, 2017

My experience was exceptional from the first appointment to the last one. I recommend him 100%

flag | Submitted March 17, 2017

I would highly recommend Dr. Zafar. He removed skin cancer from my lower eye lid with no visible scarring. He has an excellent bedside manner, always taking the time to answer all my questions and concerns. Never did I feel rushed during any of my appointments, nor was I kept waiting for any length of time. I found his staff to be friendly and welcoming.

flag | Submitted February 10, 2017

I just saw Dr. Zafar for a cyst on my eye, similar to what other below have seen him for. I found him pleasant and in no way did he make me feel that I was wasting his time or that my issue was insignificant. I would return to him if I needed to.

flag | Submitted December 23, 2016

I had cancer very close to the tear duct on my lower eye lid. I was referred to Dr. Zafar by my dermatologist. Dr. Zafar was very professoonal and did a beautiful job of removing the cancer and cosmetically closing the incision. After three months the scar is basically invisable. I highly recommend Dr. Zafar.

flag | Submitted November 20, 2016

I was told that I have choice of lense. I can go option to upgrade to premium for which they will refer me. I called 3 and half week ago advising receiptionist that I want to talk to Dr Zafar. She ask me why, I advise that I want to go with premium lense. She said she will talk to Dr Zafar. I did follow #1, she said that she told Dr Zafar , he has to sign referrel. Follow #2. She will talk to Dr Zafer, Follow #3, no phone pick up, Follow #4 - she said I am pretty sure she spoke to Dr Zafer. I want to know who is careless - Dr or Receiptionist? I work on computer all day, I told Dr Zafer, I could not see from my right eye- I am 42 years old, so cannot afford to take break from work...and this office is upto excuses every time I attempt to get in touch with receiptionist .Hopefully some one from their office read this and reach me...you know who I am

flag | Submitted October 25, 2016