Ratings for Dr. Firhaad Ismail

I would NOT recommend this Dr. if you want help with your thyroid. He does not really know what he is doing. I went and he diagnosed me with Hashimotos and began me on the smallest dose of synthroid. If I asked any questions about my symptoms he simply pointed to a chart and said something completely unrelated to what I was saying. My blood was showing i was within normal TSH limits, but I felt horrific! He does not do Free T-3 or 4 as a GOOD thyroid Dr. is supposed to do. He does not listen to his patients and he thinks he knows everything. Do NOT go to this POOR DR. if you need help with your thyroid! You will be suffering with symptoms and a cocky attitude when you question him!

flag | Submitted May 12, 2012

I see that many like this doctor. I assume it is because they have no medical knowledge. As a nurse, I do. This doctor is absolutely charming...just as long as you don't question him! The second you do, he becomes condescending. Each time I questioned him, his response was "If you would feel more comfortable with another doctor, you should see someone else." Is this his way of telling me to be a good little patient and not question what he is telling me? I had high cholesterol (250) which he assured me would be fine just as soon as my thyroid was regulated. Well, it wasn't. One would think that he would suggest dietary changes or medication. Nope. I was told that my cholesterol was high due to my "lifestyle choices". I am 20 lbs overweight, and a smoker. When I told him that I had gained ten of those pounds when he put me on synthroid, he ignored me. When notified that I am vegetarian, he said that many vegetarians eat an unhealthful diet without ever asking about what I eat.

flag | Submitted February 23, 2012

Very pleasant, knowledgeable, and helpful. This doctor has a way of making me want to live a healthy lifestyle.

flag | Submitted December 7, 2011

Knowledgeable and well versed in chronic diabetes control. Stabilized me despit my sugars of 550 to 800...

flag | Submitted December 27, 2010

Very caring, very knowledgeable, very charming man. A pleasure to be his patient. Before I went on Medicare, he wasn't on my insurance plan, but I willingly paid out of pocket to continue with him. Highly recommended.

flag | Submitted February 12, 2010

One of the best Dr.'s EVER! Explains everything very kind and understanding

flag | Submitted January 11, 2010

Very good doctor, very helpful and explains the treatments thoroughly and not in a rush

flag | Submitted January 7, 2010

The best doctor ever! He listens, cares, offers advise, doesn't pass judgment and more. We'd travel across country to see him anytime! His office staff is also very helpful when calling for prescription information. Dr. Ismail has even come in during his non-standard office hours for my husband given my husband's busy travel schedule. Very accommodating.

flag | Submitted October 10, 2009

I was a patient of Dr, Ismail a while ago. Before the HIPPA laws. I would not send my worst enemy to him. He treated me like I was an imbecile. He called me a rodent to my face. There was a space between the exam rooms where the patients could over hear EVERYTHING. I was on a medication for 1 year and told him that it did not work, I was told to give it a chance. How long is it supposed to take? Every time no matter what time I saw him I had to wait an hour to see him, I was a patient for over a year, he was NEVER on time. I could not get the results of my tests, and I could not get my records I was told it would take a week. Which it did, I suspect he changed my records.

flag | Submitted March 10, 2009

I have gone to Dr. Ismail for many years and love him dearly. He always spends a lot of time with you, cares about his patients very much, and is very knowledgeable. And he is a very sweet and caring person. Unfortunately, my husbands company recently changed from united health to atena, and he doesn't take atena, so I will need to find another physican, or see him out of my network.But, be rest assured that if you choose Dr. Ismail as your doctor, you will not be dissapointed.

flag | Submitted May 14, 2007

Dr. Firhaad Ismail's Credentials

• Univ Of Cape Town, Fac Of Med, Cape Town, So Africa (Grad. 1974)