Ratings for Dr. Randall H. Hirata

THE WORSE DOCTOR I EVER SAW/HAD!!!!!!!!! After years of infertility and tests, Dr Hirata had me do an HSG (a test on my uterus and fallopian tubes). After finding out I could not conceive on my own and my only option was in-vitro, Dr. Hirata was very unsympathetic and cold. I did In-vitro and got pregnant with twins, I was high risk my whole pregnancy. During the first 6 weeks of my pregnancy I began to bleed and thought I was miscarrying. I was diagnosed with a subchorionic hemorrhage, which usually clears up on its own over several days or weeks. Around 10 weeks into my pregnancy Dr. Hirata tried to FORCE me to do a very risky procedure called a cerclage. I had never been pregnant and never had a history of cervical incompetence or insufficiency. My In vitro doctor called Dr. Hirata and highly advised against the cerclage as it could cause miscarriage. Dr. Hirata was extremely upset and called me yelling at me. He told me if I did not do the cerclage he was going to drop me as patient. I said fine I will try to find another doctor. I called and no one was taking new patients or didn't want to step on Dr. Hirata toes but taking me on. Yes they actually said that! I was hormonal, upset, and more than anything scared. Finally Dr. Hirata kept me as a patient and I didn't do the cerclage. After that though it got worse. He was very rude to me and would say things that were hurtful and just inappropriate. (Ex. I need you to do an ultrasound on this day, I would say I have to check my husband schedule first. He would say so if your baby wasn't moving in your stomach you would say (in a mocking tone) "I have to check my husband schedule before going to the hospital" and you would let your baby DIE!) I was extremely appalled by his bed side manor but no other doctor would let me transfer over....IT WAS HORRIBLE. The last straw that I will never forget or forgive was at 21 weeks, I went into pre term labor with my twins. After being checked in at Hilo Medical Center and Dr. Hirata confirming I was in labor I was to be rushed to Kapiolani to stop my labor. While I waited for my transport flight and the crew Dr. Hirata came into my room and told me "you are only going to deliver your babies and say goodbye, maybe they will let you hold them maybe not." I was crying uncontrollably and scared out of my mind. After getting to Kapiolani they stopped my labor and I stayed in Oahu till I delivered my beautiful baby girls at 32 weeks. They are perfect and healthy! When I came back I refused to see Dr. Hirata again and found Dr. Lam (who is amazing). I did some research on Dr. Hirata and found out he forced a lot of other unnecessary surgeries and procedures on other women including hysterectomy. Do not put yourself in danger with this doctor!!!!!

flag | Submitted October 13, 2014

I was very pleased with Dr. Hirata for an emergency hospital visit I had. He came in on his day off just to check up with me which I thought was very nice, but later on was very disappointed with him and his care. He was not at all knowledgeable once I became pregnant and insisted on routine procedures that I would not use at every single visit. He would not even hear otherwise. I was basically told what I would do or he wouldn't see me. This was not as upsetting as the paperwork I received to sign which stated that I would have to pay for procedures out of pocket even though I was on Medicaid. I called the Medicaid office to make sure I was correct in assuming this was illegal and they assured me that he was not allowed to do so and I was encouraged to file a report.

flag | Submitted August 31, 2011

Dr. Randall Hirata was not only caring and helpful - saving me from an unnecessary emergency procedure, but did an excellent cystectomy on me and treated my endometriosis. He was respectful of my religious beliefs, and polite to my family members during a rather scary time for us. Given the limited choices of doctors in Hilo, I would recommend Dr. Hirata any day.

flag | Submitted January 17, 2011

Very comfortable to talk to; not intimidating at all. I have never waited more than 10 min. to see him. I have recommended him to a few people.

flag | Submitted December 8, 2010

I've been super impressed with dr. Hirata and his excellent staff. I've never been so well cared for by an office and never waited. The doctor is top notch. I'd see him again if I ever was again pregnant and I'd know I was in great hands. Mrs. Merritt g. Mayer of big island Hawaii

flag | Submitted December 10, 2009

would never suggest for anyone to use this doctor. service by doctor as well as staff is POOR. i was diagnosed with pre cancerous cells and needed a pap smear and biopsy in order to find out the seriousness of this condition. He basically shook my hand, told me "you dont have cancer, it will all go away in a short time, come back and see me in a couple of months. this is after reading a clear diagnoses of pre cancerous cells in the uterus. What a QUACK!!! I waited one month just to get an appointment. I informed him that I was experiencing burning while urinating (clear sign of a bladder infection) and he refused to even prescribe any antibiotics. If he is overwhelmed he should not have seen me in the first place. I would never send anyone to see this doctor. He is sooo overwhelmed its as if he doesnt even enjoy practicing medicine any more. He probably wanted to just get paid for an office visit. I am appalled at the level of service. STAY AWAY FROM DR RANDALL HIRATA!!!!

flag | Submitted October 22, 2009

Dr. Randall H. Hirata's Credentials

• University Of Hawaii John A. Burns School Of Medicine (Grad. 1991)

Top Hospitals in Hilo, HI