Ratings for Dr. Shagufta Usmani Khan

Dr. Khan was professional and respectful. She was quick to provide me with necessary referrals (to a reproductive endocrinologist and a dermatologist). She was patient with me and answered my many questions which I appreciated. However, I wish she was more knowledgeable about PCOS and alternative treatment options, that being said, it is widely misunderstood by the medical community as a whole so this is more a reflection on the system than her. I'm grateful that she referred me to an RE to look into my case further. I also found her reception staff at St. Joe's to be pleasant and helpful. My suggestion: try booking first thing in the morning to avoid long wait times!

flag | Submitted September 27, 2017

this is the worst doctor ever!!!! she does not answer any of your questions but she will scary you to death and in my case also mentioned one of the risk to the baby is still birth. Also you you will wait about 1 hour to see her for about 5 minutes. I think she over books and see about 40 to 50 people from " 8 to 10:20 AM so she rushes you in and out.

flag | Submitted April 4, 2017

Refuses to answer your questions, as a specialist she should at least spend 30 minutes with you, not 10! Always waiting sometimes up to 2 hours. A disgrace!

flag | Submitted January 27, 2017

she is not a human first, so i do not think she can even be a doctor, specially in that field

flag | Submitted January 23, 2017

I love how some people complain about Dr. Khan's receptionist doesn't follow up and call them to remind them of THEIR appts. Some receptionists will call you with a reminder as a courtesy, but at the end of the day YOU are responsible for your own appointments and your own health. Stop complaining. Dr. Khan is knowledgeable and her assistant is fine.

flag | Submitted August 31, 2016

Dr. Khan was my doc for my gestational diabetes and now hyperthyroidism. My GD experience with her was uneventful as I mainly just needed close monitoring weekly but for my hyperthyroidism, Im glad I chose her as my endo. At first I was worried that she was more knowledgeable in treating diabetes as most endocrinologists are but she is very careful with my medication dosage and actually listened to me when I told her radiation or surgery is not an option for me. She was willing to play around with my medication dosage until she found a suitable dosage that worked for ME. From what I read, many endocrinologists treat their thyroid patients the same but she understands every patient’s body is different and requires different attention. She monitored my blood level closely making sure they weren't too high or low. I always carry an extra blood test form she gave me in case I start to feel horrid before our next appt, eg. if levels are off she'd see me right away instead of waiting a few more weeks. Her appt wait time is typically long, but it’s not uncommon and expected from doctors (especially busy ones) so I don't understand when people complain about this. Every doctor Ive seen for myself or my kids I've always had to wait so why is this a surprise to anyone? As for her receptionist, I have no issues with her. She is friendly and so far, never messed up any of my appts.

flag | Submitted August 26, 2016

Dr. Khan is a busy practitioner who really knows her stuff. I was referred to her by my truly-incompetent GP at the time, with a case of severe pre-menopause osteoporosis. Dr. Khan referred me to one of Canada's best "bone doctors", and if the people here think that Dr. Khan is occasionally late with appointments, etc., or "doesn't listen", they should try that OTHER specialist! Man! Two hour waits, and a flat refusal to discuss alternatives to treatment, and a passion for prescribing seriously expensive drugs...I ended up quitting with and going back to THIS Dr. Khan. Dr. Shagufta Khan listens (she won't let you go on and on and on, though, because she's got PEOPLE WAITING!! doctors are not here to listen to us blather). But she does listen and she is fully up-to-date. Her advice is sound. A couple of years ago she started looking after my Type-1 diabetic husband, and he happened to mention that he sometimes felt a little short of breath. Thinking outside the box, she referred him to a cardiologist. Long story short? Because she LISTENED and took action, major blockages in his heart were discovered and treated. Complaints about waiting for an appointment and "not listening" are exaggerated. As with all doctors, bring in a list, be brief, and be patient in the waiting room. There are doctors out there that literally keep you waiting all day. I'm not kidding. Dr. Khan is not one of them. She's a pro.

flag | Submitted July 8, 2016

I have been seeing Dr.Kahn for years. Her care is excellent. She is professional and knowledgeable and always takes the time to discuss options with me. I recommend her highly. Lynette N.

flag | Submitted February 29, 2016

Dr. Shagufta Usmani Khan is very ware that her receptionist is negligent and unprofessional in regards to informing patients of appointment dates. Having experienced this twice and witness Dr. Khan on the phone seriously reprimanding her receptionist on not calling the patience with the appointment dates. I haven't decide yet whether to file a complaint with the College of Physicians and Surgeons. I depends if she tries to charge me with a "No Show Fee". I have phone records to prove her receptionist didn't call me with the appointment date. I would strongly advise anyone to find another Endocrinologist that is professional and reliable.

flag | Submitted February 1, 2016

Liked her at first. My last appointment she left me dangling with a TSH close to becoming hyperthyroid. Said see you in 3 months?? When I was pregnant I called to make an earlier appointment, I couldn't get an appointment for a 3 month wait. Hypothyroidism/hashi's is very important to deal with when you are in your first trimester! I too feel rushed out of my appointments. Think its time for a new doctor change!!!

flag | Submitted September 13, 2015