Ratings for Dr. James McDonald

He has always done his job. I usually only see him with minor ailments that need a prescription. If I had anything a little more worrisome he has sent me to the experts in the field. Here is an example of his patient care that I personally came across with him. I always had a lower back problem and I was prescribed either Pain Killers or Anti Inflamatory medication. None ever worked and the last time I saw him on this Back issue, I told him nothing ever worked for my Back. He simply told me I should try a Rehabilitation place like a Chiropractor. I took his advice and now see a Chiropractor. I told my Chiropractor about my Medical Doctor recommending me to see someone else who may help, and the Chiropractor was really surprised to hear this. Yes, he can seem stern but not in a malicious way. I don't care how he is as a person, which by the way is very decent, but the direction he takes in helping me out. He has also told me that what works for one might not work for another. Lots of people to see in a day and I don't envy his job. My experience with Dr. McDonald has always been professional and positive but nobody deserves a five star rating!

flag | Submitted February 26, 2017

I actually think his staff are nice. I just hope people are actually reading the reviews and not just looking at the star rating. It's falsely inflated because his staff are kind. And there is never a wait. But that is probably because he is the rudest, most uncaring, most unhelpful doctor in the city. Possibly the province. Maybe all of North America. Do not see him. Unless you like being treated like dirt. When you are already sick.

flag | Submitted January 13, 2017

I have never had an issue seeing Dr James. I like that he tells you how it is. I have seen him for over 8years now and he has never disappointed me. He is an awesome dr.

flag | Submitted November 17, 2016

Ever watched House MD? Explains it all if ever watched it. For all you guys complaining about him, he is like Dr. House, but very knowledgeable, treated our family over 20 years and diagnose problems which hospital doctors could not diagnose.

flag | Submitted October 27, 2016

Dr was great. He quickly assessed and treated me and answered the questions I had. He provided great care and information that helped. Staff were friendly. Quick wait time. Would highly recommend.

flag | Submitted September 10, 2016

Worst doctor in all Edmonton go to him if you want an argument he honestly should retire from medical practice, During the Fort McMurray wildfire he was the closest doctor to my hotel so I booked ahead, as I arrived to my appointment I realize how dirty of a clinic it was.. Well I'm not the health inspector so I went in my appointment to get a refill of my prescription I had printed out from the medicine shop across the street as he looked at it, questioning why I took what I did I had full reasons for everything but non the less I arguerrd with the guy for a good hour and got one refill and went to TLC Medical clinic which I found was decent and gave me a 2 week refill

flag | Submitted September 2, 2016

I've had many bad run ins with him but the worst was the time I went in because a partner had exposed me to a STI. I would have normally gone to the sexual Heath clinic downtown but they were closed and I was a little freaked out. I told a partner of mine had tested positive for a STI and be then shamed and berated me about it. He asked for my partners home address and when I didn't know it(they live in Europe most of the time) he sighed and shamed me even more. He then huffed out of the room and came back with two pills, they were antibiotics, he told me to take them and come back if I felt any symptoms. I told him I was deathly allergic to many antibiotics(I gave him the full list) and asked if it was safe for me to take these pills he shrugged and told me to take the first one and if nothing happened take the second one. I asked what to do if I have a reaction to the second one and he said dryly to call an ambulance. And that was it. He left the room. I left there with pills that could have killed me and no tests. I went to the downtown clinic the next day and got the tests I needed done and a clean bill of health.

flag | Submitted August 23, 2016

Please stay away from this doctor! I know it is easy to drop into this clinic but please drive/walk to Bonnie soon medical centre! I went to him twice complaining about pain in my pelvic area, I had cysts before and wanted to keep on top of my health to ensure I never get admitted with the pain again! He was rude and told me not to worry that 'your fine' I demanded an ultrasound and after a lot of grunts and groan I got one! After my appointment I waited for the results not hearing anything I rang the centre! The receptionist told me she was busy and working on her own! I asked if she could tell me anything she again said no she was busy, then the punch line of there was something wrong we would call! What a joke of an answer! Anyway I went away happy thinking I was ok because the 'doctor' a caring professional would let me know! Fast forward 6 months again I am having symptoms, this time I went to another medical centre! Upon talking to me the doctor searched my ultrasound results turns out I had ovarian cysts again and the doctor has noted my file saying please advise another ultrasound within 3-6 weeks and observe the patient as I had a high white cell count( common for fighting an infection) the new doctor has started the process of tests, ultrasound and options for me! He is a gentleman who obviously likes his job and care about patients! I am sick an disgusted at the way I have been treated! I had this problem before and suffered a lot when the worst happened being hospitalized etc! He or his receptionist didn't even have the decency to call me back with results because 'she was busy'. I am not one to make a complaint I never want to blacken a persons name as I am a good person . This has angered me so much I need to share my story! Please be aware of this medical centre and that they could care less about the care they provide! I am not from Edmonton and was unsure where to go to see a doctor, I chanced this centre and have been let down completely! Thankfully I have found a doctor who listened and was professional, he is also a walk in so my faith has been restored! Sorry for my rant but I am angry and frigtened of what could have happened!

flag | Submitted August 2, 2016

This man is one of the worst human beings I have ever met. I saw him several years ago. I was in acute distress, had not slept or eaten in days, and was contemplating suicide. I decided to pull myself up and reach out for help. I did not have a regular Dr at the time and his office is a block away. I told him I needed help, I was in tears. He looked at me for about 30 seconds, said "Well What do you expect me to do?" I said I didn't know but I needed help. I told him I was thinking of killing myself. He looked at me with disgust and gave me a prescription for one tablet or clonazepam (antianxiety) and ran out of the room. That was it. No referral, no suggestions. One pill. When I got home I was very fortunate as a friend called me who knew a REAL doctor who saw me immediately and referred me to a psychiatrist, etc. I was diagnosed with PTSD that resulted in hospitalization and 6 months treatment. (I am doing well now thanks to all of the excellent people who work in healthcare and actually care). The reason I am writing this review now is because I had to see him yesterday for severe sinus pain and what I suspect is an infection. Only place I could go nearby as my regular Dr has 2 week appointment delay. I figured it was easy enough, he could give advice or do a swab. I did not ask for antibiotics and when I told him my symptoms he said "Well, if you're determined to take antibiotics then take them" I said I don't want to take unnecessary antibiotics and asked if he could actually examine me. He looked in my one ear and said "You'll be fine" and left. During this time he never once made eye contact or smiled. Sorry this was very long. I am just so appaled that this man is in practice. I feel the few good reviews on here must have been mistakenly written for a different Dr MacDonald. Do not put your health in his hands.

flag | Submitted May 18, 2015

Worst doctor I have ever been to. I have had to see him twice...both times I had to INSIST that he even ask follow up questions. I'm furious and will be lodging a formal complaint.

flag | Submitted April 8, 2015