Ratings for Dr. James McDonald

I've had many bad run ins with him but the worst was the time I went in because a partner had exposed me to a STI. I would have normally gone to the sexual Heath clinic downtown but they were closed and I was a little freaked out. I told a partner of mine had tested positive for a STI and be then shamed and berated me about it. He asked for my partners home address and when I didn't know it(they live in Europe most of the time) he sighed and shamed me even more. He then huffed out of the room and came back with two pills, they were antibiotics, he told me to take them and come back if I felt any symptoms. I told him I was deathly allergic to many antibiotics(I gave him the full list) and asked if it was safe for me to take these pills he shrugged and told me to take the first one and if nothing happened take the second one. I asked what to do if I have a reaction to the second one and he said dryly to call an ambulance. And that was it. He left the room. I left there with pills that could have killed me and no tests. I went to the downtown clinic the next day and got the tests I needed done and a clean bill of health.

flag | Submitted August 23, 2016

Please stay away from this doctor! I know it is easy to drop into this clinic but please drive/walk to Bonnie soon medical centre! I went to him twice complaining about pain in my pelvic area, I had cysts before and wanted to keep on top of my health to ensure I never get admitted with the pain again! He was rude and told me not to worry that 'your fine' I demanded an ultrasound and after a lot of grunts and groan I got one! After my appointment I waited for the results not hearing anything I rang the centre! The receptionist told me she was busy and working on her own! I asked if she could tell me anything she again said no she was busy, then the punch line of there was something wrong we would call! What a joke of an answer! Anyway I went away happy thinking I was ok because the 'doctor' a caring professional would let me know! Fast forward 6 months again I am having symptoms, this time I went to another medical centre! Upon talking to me the doctor searched my ultrasound results turns out I had ovarian cysts again and the doctor has noted my file saying please advise another ultrasound within 3-6 weeks and observe the patient as I had a high white cell count( common for fighting an infection) the new doctor has started the process of tests, ultrasound and options for me! He is a gentleman who obviously likes his job and care about patients! I am sick an disgusted at the way I have been treated! I had this problem before and suffered a lot when the worst happened being hospitalized etc! He or his receptionist didn't even have the decency to call me back with results because 'she was busy'. I am not one to make a complaint I never want to blacken a persons name as I am a good person . This has angered me so much I need to share my story! Please be aware of this medical centre and that they could care less about the care they provide! I am not from Edmonton and was unsure where to go to see a doctor, I chanced this centre and have been let down completely! Thankfully I have found a doctor who listened and was professional, he is also a walk in so my faith has been restored! Sorry for my rant but I am angry and frigtened of what could have happened!

flag | Submitted August 2, 2016

This man is one of the worst human beings I have ever met. I saw him several years ago. I was in acute distress, had not slept or eaten in days, and was contemplating suicide. I decided to pull myself up and reach out for help. I did not have a regular Dr at the time and his office is a block away. I told him I needed help, I was in tears. He looked at me for about 30 seconds, said "Well What do you expect me to do?" I said I didn't know but I needed help. I told him I was thinking of killing myself. He looked at me with disgust and gave me a prescription for one tablet or clonazepam (antianxiety) and ran out of the room. That was it. No referral, no suggestions. One pill. When I got home I was very fortunate as a friend called me who knew a REAL doctor who saw me immediately and referred me to a psychiatrist, etc. I was diagnosed with PTSD that resulted in hospitalization and 6 months treatment. (I am doing well now thanks to all of the excellent people who work in healthcare and actually care). The reason I am writing this review now is because I had to see him yesterday for severe sinus pain and what I suspect is an infection. Only place I could go nearby as my regular Dr has 2 week appointment delay. I figured it was easy enough, he could give advice or do a swab. I did not ask for antibiotics and when I told him my symptoms he said "Well, if you're determined to take antibiotics then take them" I said I don't want to take unnecessary antibiotics and asked if he could actually examine me. He looked in my one ear and said "You'll be fine" and left. During this time he never once made eye contact or smiled. Sorry this was very long. I am just so appaled that this man is in practice. I feel the few good reviews on here must have been mistakenly written for a different Dr MacDonald. Do not put your health in his hands.

flag | Submitted May 18, 2015

Worst doctor I have ever been to. I have had to see him twice...both times I had to INSIST that he even ask follow up questions. I'm furious and will be lodging a formal complaint.

flag | Submitted April 8, 2015

Opinion of a working man... I really enjoy Dr James If your going to him for serious issues... then its on you. I figured this out in the first visit 6yrs ago. He is a in and out quick doctor, perfect for my busy work schedule. He also says it like it is, which I don't mind one bit. He tells me I'm over weight... he tells me smoking is nasty, he tells me I don't eat right half the time. Guess what? He's right. I oftenwonder how many "tax paying" citizens are patients, I doubt many. Judging by most replies... I'm guessing that goes for most of you listed below. Look where his office is for crying out loud.... The fact that it is on 118th ave right beside the Big Foot pub should be your first indication. If you were him and had to listen to all the false ailment drug seeking ppl that frequent his office. You would get desensitized tooI'me.

Submitted February 12, 2015

Wow, what can you say about this guy that hasn't already been said? The man has left me in tears on several occasions. I feel very uncomfortable listening to him condescend not only just myself but the other patients as well. He is very unprofessional to say the least. I only go to see him if I ABSOLUTLY have to - if I can't get in to see my regular Dr. And it's just for things like colds and flu. The wait times are short, the receptionist is very nice.

flag | Submitted November 27, 2014

I saw Dr McDonald for several years. At first it was for simple things - at that time I was happy with getting in and out quickly - usually just needed refills for heart meds and flu shots. As time went on I became quite ill. He ordered a few tests and told me nothing was wrong. I got sicker and sicker and this became a problem for my employer. His attitude was that it must be awful for my poor employer. Eventually he referred me to a specialist who discovered I had several digestive conditions and had operations approx. every 6 months over the next 4 years. In 2009 I had a CT Scan which revealed a mass growing in my pancreas, so its back to the specialist - or so I thought. Dr. McDonald advised me nothing was wrong. Didn't bother himself with why I was having new pain and a new place. Time went by and I became clinically depressed and stopped caring. I finally went to him one more time recently. Over a course of 8 months I lost 140 lbs and was concerned. When I told him why I was there he told me I didn't look any different to him. I went from 250 to 120. When I weighed his response was to tell me that weighing 250 was 'ridiculous'. What possible reason could he have to tell me that was ridiculous but not be concerned with losing that much weight in that time period? Then he wrote me up for some blood work, including the blood test that he should have given me years earlier. After thinking about it, I decided to go to a real doctor. Finding a doctor taking new patients here is near impossible. The rare few that are taking new patients don't speak English well enough for me to understand them. I then went to a Medi Centre and told my story to a doctor there. He ordered blood work, and ultra sound, then a CT Scan. During the ultra sound the technician commented that he'd never seen a gall bladder that was so big. It was crammed with stones. He also told me I needed a CT Scan asap. I had the CT Scan then went to see my Medi Centre doc. The CT showed a tumor in my pancreas that is inoperable due to all the blood vessels in and around the tumor. He also gave me a copy of my CT Scan showing the results Dr McDonald got from that was that I had a very small mass in my pancreas and needed to have a follow up CT Scan in 6 months. Scroll back to where Dr McDonald wouldn't order the blood test I needed to have first. He condemned me to death then and there. Since that time the unidentified mass in my pancreas has grown to be full on inoperable cancer which has also spread to my bile duct and liver. Off to the specialist I go. He did an endoscopic biopsy and wasn't able to get tissue samples of the pancreas tumour due to the blood vessels. At that point I researched pancreatic cancer. I had all of the symptoms and told Dr McDonald several times over the years. He never acknowledged that he even heard what I was saying. The one thing he is good at ......prescribing Tylenol 4's to everyone that asks for them. This I know because I live near his office and see people on a daily basis leaving the pharmacy next door and wandering up the street trying to sell them. I have been approached several times and without fail they were prescribed by Dr McDonald. Now I won't make another Christmas......and this could have been identified and treated 6 months after the CT Scan in 2009.

flag | Submitted October 16, 2014

I am still upset so I hope I don't forget any important details. I ran out of my Celexa a week ago and have been feeling the effects. I went in for a prescription refill, and while we were there I thought we could get some paperwork filled out for our pending adoption. Very generic exam and family history paperwork. He walked into the room, never looking up from his papers, speaking into his clipboard the whole time, and said "so what do you want?". He never once made eye contact with either of us, and continued mumbling into his papers the whole time we were there. He signed the bottom of our paperwork before reading it, and very accusingly asked why we hadn't signed it yet. I told him we weren't supposed to sign until the paperwork was filled out. He checked that everything was normal with us before he even asked us any questions, so he was forced to scribble out what he had written when I told him that there actually were infertility problems associated with us choosing to adopt. He said that " at the very least" he would take our blood pressure. Which he did. He then filled out that he had examined our sight/hearing/respiratory/etc when he had done none of it. I am not okay with lying on official documents, especially for something as important as our adoption, and when I told him that he began to raise his voice and become quite angry. He repeatedly said that he was doing us a favour by seeing us and that they usually charge $150 for this paperwork to be filled out. I let him know that we did not want favours and we're entirely willing to pay... He could not be placated. He said "I'm doing you favours and you won't stop complaining about it". We ended up having his very nice admin shred the paperwork for us because he didn't care enough to ask us questions, and repeatedly told us that some medical history is more important than the rest. Some cancers count and others don't. When asking for refills of my prescriptions, he called them "a stretch", a phrase he used a LOT. I have been on celexa, pantaprazole, and clonazepam for 4 years. He refused to give me clonazepam, implying that I was misusing it. I let him know that my dogs ate a bottle, which he could confirm with the emergency veterinarian if he needed to, but he said something sarcastic about how it was very coincidental to lose large amounts of pills and need more. In the end, after all that, he wrote a prescription for the clonazepam, but forgot one of my other pills. I was super pissed off at his attitude and unprofessionalism, so I called him out on it. He became very mean and made me cry. As I was crying, he very condescendingly said he would refer me to a psychiatrist. And he actually did. He is an unprofessional, condescending ass. I would never wish his care upon my worst enemy. He left the room half-way through my "exam" to take a big from the floor and release in into the wild. He is insane, and rude, and spiteful. He does not act like an adult not does he act like someone who has been educated. I do not understand how he is employed.

flag | Submitted August 17, 2014

Dr. McDonald has some of the worst bedside manner I've ever seen. Clearly hates what he does and wrote assumptions on a form for a physical in order to speed up the process, then essentially yelled at my wife when she called him on it. Dr. McDonald has no business being employed as a doctor or any field that works with the public.

flag | Submitted August 17, 2014

Most awkward and cluelss Doctor I've ever been to in my life.He was very rude without even as much as a simple hello,just came in flopped down and said "Whats wrong". I told him I've been having constant re-occuring eye infections and I was actually born without tear ducts at all and had to get surgery to be given some.Then I had to get the tear duct holes stretched cause they were closing up when I was a toddler.My own father said I was having the same symptoms with my eyes as when I was a child and I might need to get the procedure done again.I told the Doctor all this including the fact my dad has glass tubes in his tear ducts cause his will not stay open at all without them,and he completely dismissed everything I had to say and said something like that simply does not happen.I sat there dumbfounded not sure what say,But if I "insisted" he would refer me to the eye doctor specialist.I left there feeling stupid and annoyed.

flag | Submitted June 26, 2014