Ratings for Dr. Michael S. McGarrity

Dr. McGarrity seems to be a knowledgeable and caring doctor. I have been seeing him for many years for type 2 diabetes and follow up after having my thyroid removed. He stays on point on my medications, however I find him to be condescending and unflexable when talking to me. After reading reviews of this doctor and others, I wonder if many discount the issues concerning weight gain and the connection to hormonal levels. If there were any other Endocrinologists in the area who had a better manner with their patients, I would go to a different doctor.

flag | Submitted July 30, 2013

I was referred to Dr. McGarrity for PCOS. Every time I saw him, I never felt like he was paying attention to me. He'd always type on his laptop while I was trying to talk to him or ask him questions! And after his "help", I never really felt all that better! While I was seeing him, I needed a primary care physician. I started seeing a really wonderful physician's assistant who actually LISTENED to my concerns and tried to address things McGarrity did not. She was shocked he had not checked my testosterone levels! I was too since I had assumed he had! I have PCOS and that is something he should have checked! My PA put me on some supplements which actually IMPROVED my symptoms, and when I told him about it, I will never forget the condescending tone he took with me, like I didn't know what I was doing and was making a mistake. Well I felt better! What did he do for me? Nothing! Now that I hear he missed thyroid cancer for another patient, I am so glad I fired him too!

flag | Submitted February 9, 2013

Was referred to him due to thyroid disease. After a year of labs being normal and still feeling horrible having Insomnia..choking feeling in throat ..face swelling, weight gain and him just saying "your lab are normal". I asked to be referred to someone else who found cancer in my thyroid. I am so thankful i fired him as my Doctor. I would still not know i even had cancer if i stayed with him . He needs to learn to listen to his patients!!!!!

flag | Submitted October 30, 2012

Dr. Michael S. McGarrity's Credentials

• State University Of New York Health Science Center Of Syracuse (Grad. 1988)