Ratings for Dr. Volkan B. Guzel

Went in with a bi lateral broken ankle, was seen by Dr. Guzle promptly, he treated my situation with urgency and care for my heath and recover an him and his staff worked to get me scheduled for surgery in only 3 days. He is very pleasant to work with and I highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted October 2, 2017

Dr. Guzel performed right hip replacement surgery on my dad and I must say he is a professional with good bedside manner. There was a problem with my dad pain prescription post discharge but I called Dr. Guzel exchange and he called me back personally and took care the problem right away. I would definately recommend him.

flag | Submitted December 11, 2015

The ONLY reason he received 3 stars for staff is b/c I had 3 people help me while visiting who provided excellent service. As for Volkan himself, 1 star. When I first went to visit him, he told me that he didn’t think it was my ACL and that it was probably a torn meniscus or bad sprain. Turns out I had a RUPTURED ACL & needed surgery. When I returned to Volkan after the MRI, I was told I needed to purchase a brace, but they were unable to tell me how much it would cost me before I paid for it! It ended up costing me $417. After the surgery on 9/14, I was in a tremendous amount of pain. I had a strong burning sensation from my knee to my ankle. I called Volkan’s office at at 10AM to find out what I should do about the burning, & was told that he would call me back. I informed them that it was urgent. I had to call 3 times throughout the day to finally receive a call back around 4 pm, when they prescribed me gabapentin. A few days later the pain still hadn’t subsided. I called the office and told them my pain level was a 10 and they told me to come in. I paid $25 for an office visit where Volkan didn’t even look at my knee. He never took off the brace to examine it. He just told me the pain was to be expected and left. One of his assistants was more helpful than the doctor himself. The next week, on 9/22, I called the office early in the morning to get a refill before I ran out. It took them all day to get back to me. Around 4pm I received a call back & went to pick up a refill prescription, or so I thought. I had a friend drop off and pick up the prescription. When she returned and gave me the pill bottle, it said hydrocodone on it. I am allergic to hydrocodone and this was in the doctor’s files when he prescribed it. At this point I still couldn’t sleep through the night without waking up from the pain every 4 hours as soon as the medication wore off & Volkan was aware of this. Since they waited all day to get the prescription to me, they were closed by the time I realized I had received the wrong medication. On 9/23 I called and informed them of the mistake at 8AM. I went this entire day in pain b/c they did not fix the problem until the next day. The woman I spoke to asked what I did with the hydrocodone. I told her that I had tossed it. She responded saying that she “doubts they will write me a new prescription while I’m in possession of the hydrocodone”. I told her I would dig it out of the trash if I needed to so I can receive a new prescription. Finally, they called me back around 3:30pm & told me that in order for me to get a refill, they need to drug test me to make sure I’m not taking the hydrocodone. I was extremely irritated and insulted at this point, but said okay, I will come right now & take the drug test. They said I have to wait until the next day. I asked for them to at least prescribe me something minor to take the pain away for the night. She told me the doctor already left for the evening, so they couldn’t write me a prescription. At this point, I called my mother & had her stop by the office to see if they would give her some sort of explanation for all of this nonsense. This is when they explained to her that the drug test is a government requirement in order to refill narcotics. She also got them to write me a prescription for Tylenol 3, something they told me was impossible when I spoke to them. They didn't call in the Tylenol 3 until 9PM. The next morning, 9/24, I woke up at 8AM & went to the doctor’s office. When I arrived, I asked for a wheelchair b/c the office is large & crutching around hurt my knee while I wasn’t on any meds. After taking the drug test, they called me back to an exam room. After 20 min of waiting, Volkan walks in, greets my friend who drove me, and shakes her hand, then completely passes me up. He immediately asks me, “Have you stared walking yet?” I said, “No, but..” & he cuts me off to say, “Why are you in a wheelchair? You’re the first patient that I’ve had that hasn’t started walking within a week of surgery.” If he would have let me finish, I would have been able to tell him that I began shifting weight on to my leg in physical therapy (When I went to physical therapy later that day, I asked my therapist if I was behind on recovery & she said no, that I am right on track). Then he proceeds to say verbatim, “You need to get your life together.” He said, “We’re doctors. We know your pain level.” Then says, “If you were in pain, you wouldn’t have been laughing when I walked in, or be sitting like that” (If someone tells me something that I find funny, I am going to laugh regardless of how much pain I am in. I was sitting in the wheelchair with my injured leg straight in my brace & my other leg bent w/ my foot on the chair to stretch). He then goes on to accuse me of “faking it” when I went to see him Friday, 9/11, for my pre-surgery appointment. For more details contact heathermalhiot@yahoo.com b/c of 5000 word count had to cut some out.

flag | Submitted October 19, 2015

Dr. Guzel gave me a total knee replacement and I was so scared going into this total ordeal, but after talking with Dr. Guzel and his positive explanations I proceeded with the operation. I have to say it is the best decision I have ever made with my body. Dr. Guzel in my words has enriched my life and opened up new doors at my age of 69. In 4 weeks I have walking normal, my pain is nothing compared prior to the operation and is going away each day. I did do the simple exercises siting in my lazy boy which helped me in recovery. I am sure this had a lot to do with it, but the outstanding surgeon Dr. Guzel is has made it easy to recover fast. At 5 weeks he recommended I back off my exercises since was way ahead of the recovery schedule, I was causing my own pain to increase. Since that decision, I have managed the pain to minimize with a few exceptions when I put too much stress on the knee and I have to take the pain killer. I have to only use the pain killers when needed and that is going away fast. Thank you Dr. Guzel for may new life change, God gave me the answer..... Thank You

flag | Submitted February 2, 2015

Although his bedside manner is very abrupt/short.. Mainly you should be aware that he is a little surgery happy... and He is NOT a pediatric specialist and I would NOT recommend he see children. He wanted to do an additional (second) surgery on my son which was completely unnecessary. Thankfully I followed my gut and took my son to TX Children's ~ Get a second opinon!

flag | Submitted December 20, 2010

I cannot say enough kind words about this physician. He is the best and treated all my injuries from a fall. I have seen some doozie yo yo doctors but this one, Dr. Guzel, is the TOPS! You cannot go wrong with this doctor. Mary

flag | Submitted June 24, 2010

I was in a lot of pain from a previous injury in 1980, after walking or standing I could feel my ankle grinding at the joint. There were times I could not even walk. After the ankle fusion I feel wonderful, I have no problems walking. Dr. Guzel is very thoughtful, listens well and really knows his stuff!!!

flag | Submitted October 5, 2009