Ratings for Dr. Misti S. Raman

I never rant on Facebook but I feel like I have to share with this people who live in Irmo. In July I got two cavities filled by Misti Raman at Irmo Smiles. She performed the entire procedure in about 20 minutes. I had severe pain in my teeth for weeks and went back FOUR times to get the issue corrected. Finally, after not being satisfied with her ability to fix the problem, I went to another dentist. He informed me that my fillings were not properly attached to my teeth and my bite was off which is why I had such pain. He easily fixed them in one procedure by taking out my fillings and completely redoing them. I was finally able to chew on that side of my mouth and drink cold water again. Raman also said I needed eight cavities filled- yes, I felt totally grossed out with myself and couldn't believe it. I asked my new dentist to let me know how many cavities I had- I didn't tell him about the eight that I thought I had. He said that there are zero... Talk about a major difference. I wanted to get my money back from Irmo Smiles because I now had to pay for two different procedures and felt totally wronged. When I spoke to the insurance company it turned out that Irmo Smiles had filed that they fixed *four* cavities instead of the two that she actually "filled." Lesson learned- do some serious homework before trusting a health care professional, check your insurance claims, and get second opinions.

flag | Submitted February 12, 2016

I switched to Dr.Raman after going to another dentist in Columbia for many years. Dr. Misti Raman is the best dentist I have ever been to! The staff at Irmo Smiles are very friendly and helpful. I would recommend this practice to anyone.

flag | Submitted June 3, 2014

I was new to the area and Dr. Raman and her staff at Irmo Smiles came highly recommended by my neighbor. Like many others I have a fear of dentists stemming from trauma as a child. I was promptly greeted upon arrival and was delighted to find that the staff in the back were equally as friendly. Dr. Raman quite obviously has created this warm environment as she made me feel like an old family friend (very different than other offices I have been in). I have been a patient of hers now for over 2 years and wouldn't dream of going elsewhere. I have myself now referred many others to her office and they too have had a wonderful experience. I never met Dr. Nelson, but rest asssured that he did his homewotk when finding the perfect replacement. My family and I LOVE Irmo Smiles!

flag | Submitted May 16, 2011

I don't have a problem with Dr. Raman personally; it's her staff. My family and I are no longer patients at this practice. Dr. Raman took over the practice from a very fine and wonderful dentist, Dr. Larry Nelson, when he retired last year. We were long standing patients of Dr. Nelson. His office was run smoothly, courteously and professionally. NOT the case now. In addition to being one of the highest priced dentists in Columbia, the office was unwilling to work with patients who can't afford to pay thousands of dollars up front for extensive dental work. When asked if the balance of payment could be made at the end of the month, the response was "we're not supposed to do that". I understand that practice has now changed and they will accept monthly payments. However, since we have changed dentists and had to contact them for our films, in dealing with this particular receptionist, she was very rude to me and my new dentist's office in trying to obtain family dental records.

flag | Submitted October 5, 2009