Ratings for Dr. J. Paul Ryan

I can handle a rude doctor with poor bed-side manner and a big ego but if he is all those things, he better be thorough, knowledgeable, and treat my condition; none of which he did. Wasted 2 years with him while my health declined.

flag | Submitted April 25, 2016

I felt really brushed off. He was rude,dismissive,and not interested in anything I had to say. The appointment was a waste of my time.

flag | Submitted April 18, 2013

Terrible doctor, extremely unprofession and way out dated. This guy really needs to retire. He acts like he has a clue, but this guy is just out to lunch.

flag | Submitted February 17, 2013

Dr Ryan is knowledgeable, helpful, and caring. He is also a realist and to the point, which I appreciate. I don't want someone to beat around the bush with me and prescribe pills or placate me. Definitely appreciate him and recommend him if you want someone who cares but won't just tell you what you want to hear, he will tell you the truth based on his high level of professional knowledge.

flag | Submitted February 13, 2013

flag | Submitted April 12, 2012

talks to you, sends you out for tests and if the tests don't find anything then he gives up on, you don't hear from him and you are on your own with your illness. why do we not have a choice whether or not they should be paid if they don't do anything.No wonder our medical care is so high. Doctors have no one testing their performance-they just get paid

flag | Submitted December 1, 2011

I moved from Ottawa 5 yrs ago and he was recomended from my previous Dr. We went through the various medications we had to before Alberta Health would let me use Enbrel. They worked to a level unsatisfactory for my ability to walk etc. Then finally I got the approval for Enbrel thanks to Dr. Ryan strongly recomending that I needed it. Within 3 days after my first injection I noticed a difference. He was very helpful to me in my situation. He does have a dry sense of humor with I think is great but maybe others get offended. I have nothing but praises for Dr. Ryan and his help.

flag | Submitted September 2, 2011

I came across this website and was pleased to know that it wasn't only me that felt this way about Dr. Ryan! I too traveled a great distance to visit him but he'd spend a couple of minutes checking my fingers and toes and send me on my way. In fact, the last time I visited and requested a bloodwork req., he said he doesn't need to see my bloodwork to know how I'm doing. Maybe it's time for him to retire? Seems like he just doesn't care anymore. I'm so thankful I came across this website, I'm going to start looking for a new RA specialist now!

flag | Submitted June 8, 2011

Dr Ryan is knowledgable for sure,but i really wonder if he even looks at my husbands monthly blood work sheets until he actually goes to the to his appointment.We live out of town going to calgary for appointments once or twice a year.My husband had a very concerning incident regarding his vision,called his office three times to ask Dr Ryan to call him.It's now been 6 months,no call.Family doctor and eye doctor in town took care of him.We are now waiting for referral to another rheumatologist in Calgary. In general we feel Dr Ryan has let us down.

flag | Submitted May 17, 2011

I was very disappointed with my visit.He's a poor example of a professional and needs an attitude adjustment.He wasn't interested in a thing I had to say,I wasn't taken seriously.What a waste of my time.

flag | Submitted January 10, 2011