Ratings for Dr. Steven Stark

He is the best!! If you are having foot problems,do yourself a favour and see Dr Stark. We now live on the island and he will still be my number 1. Thank you Doctor Stark

flag | Submitted May 9, 2018

Wonderful! He is the one doctor that has been able to diagnose some of my diverse problems. He identified problems that have been with me since I was a baby, which my GP or any other doctor have never managed to piece together. Now that I am at age 65, his words are starting to ring true with the eventual clueing-in other doctors and specialists are concluding through many years of inconclusive testing. Other doctors, including those in hospitals and General Practitioners are hesitant to give a diagnosis and I just languish in months of ineffective medical care. Dr. Stark is willing to discuss his findings with other doctors, but because he does not have the same medical privileges to order tests as a regular GP, his advise seems to be considered with less weight. I have seen him for more that 25 years and while some find his delivery and strength of his convictions off putting, I have years of success by following his advise. Yes, he is a person who does not court favour with a patient, but gives you the straight facts in an unvarnished way. I appreciate the fact he does not gloss over situations which can be complex and multifaceted, so I have a clear understanding of the root cause. Far too many people ignore the advise of doctors when it become inconvenient or uncomfortable. As I have struggled with my mobility most of my life, I recognise that he is telling me what others have worked on earlier in my life, and failed to deal with completely. I now wear my orthotics religiously, and stretch as much as possible...even though it may be too little, too late. I know which muscles are not functioning well and what exercises will and will not help me. I know that some of these problems are due to excess weight and why it is that the more I have increased my activity, the more problems I developed. His advise on treatment is not convenient, but it does help. Other doctors just want to prescribe pills. I strongly recommend him if you want to solve your problems. Yes, it will be costly, it will probably cause pain and discomfort to begin with, and yes, he has a strong personality and is strongly dedicated to his convictions. Rather than be intimidated, ask questions, show an interest in what he is telling you and you may start to get it.. He may appear to be a hard but to crack, but he is much friendlier than he appears. I wish my GP was as dedicated to the success of my treatments as Dr. Stark. He is generally on-time, but can be a little behind now and then. His staff has changed over the years and are knowledgeable and helpful.

flag | Submitted January 31, 2018

Poor. Unable to make me a pair of orthotics that I can wear. He tried. However made my feet worse. Ended up on crutches. With the visits ,orthotics and shoes he recommended $800. I'm on retirement pension. Plus I lost one of the orthotics..oops. . Now another $250 or $200. At the end of the day. I'm $1,000 dollars out ......On crutches. And no orthotics. Crazy right. Plus got into my personal space .... I could feel and smell this breath...to tell me it's a medical device... my loss. Hopefully his heart will soften at some point.

flag | Submitted December 12, 2017

Took two appointments to analyze my feet,. Diagnosed arthritis without X-rays. Made casts to make orthotics. Insoles were too long, not wide enough, and didn't support my arch. They would not fit into shoes three sizes larger than what I wear. An expensive waste of time.

flag | Submitted July 31, 2017

Pushes his orthotics on anybody and everybody whether you need them or not. Just a greedy money grag.

flag | Submitted July 6, 2017

Dr. stark is absolutely brilliant at what he does. He has an incredible knowledge base and is an excellent teacher. He takes the time to explain every aspect of your foot issues using diagrams and a little skeletal foot so you can understand exactly what is going on. I have had at 3 sets of orthotics from him with excellent results each time. For a previous commenter who said he was greedy requiring two visits, you should be aware that the changes to extended health care benefits, which he does not control, now require a separate visit for the consultation and casting. For those who think he is expensive, well you get what you pay for. You could call and ask for prices before you book an appointment. For the commenter who complained he didn't learn anything new, well lucky you your feet never changed. Sure he might repeat what he told you at your last visit but how many of us really remember every word a doctor says??? Arrogant...no I don't think so, just a doctor who is passionate about what is does and enjoys his work immensely.

flag | Submitted November 15, 2016

I'm 38 and started seeing Dr. Stark when I was 12 as a competitive figure skater. His orthodics allowed me to continue skating and not have to retire. Later in life his orthodics allowed me to take up running. If I deviate from wearing my orthodics and not stretch properly injury seems to happen. I'm very thankful for his prevenative mindset, our medical system isn't geared toward this kind of care, he truly is a special and considerate medical pioneer!

flag | Submitted June 28, 2016

Dr. Stark is good at what he does; however, he seems a little greedy to me. I've had orthotics from him in the past, and recently I travelled from quite a distance (outside the Lower Mainland) to see him again. During the hour-long appointment, he repeated the information that he gave me previously. I did not learn anything new, and I did not get a prescription. All I received was a $100 bill for a consultation that was not informative or helpful to me. I was told that I would have to come back to receive a prescription or orthotics. I will have to take time off work and travel quite a distance in order to do this, so it adds considerably to the cost of my orthotics. If you make an appointment with Dr. Stark, make sure that you will get what you need from your expensive consulation (i.e., a prescription or orthotics).

flag | Submitted August 24, 2015

This is now the third pair of orthotics I have got from Dr. Stark. I suffered from very painful knee joints and from sore hips. Once I started wearing the orthotics and doing the stretching he recommended, the pain went away in about 6 weeks. I couldn't believe how much these helped me. I am on my feet all day as a teacher and now suffer no pain at all.

flag | Submitted February 9, 2014

Unique practical knowledge of biomechanics. Yes, the orthotics are expensive, but they are a non-invasive joint saver and have allowed me to work comfortably on concrete for 12+ hours per day at a physical job. I tried to get orthotics from another podiatrist in my area and he completely didn't understand the concept of a preventative device and claimed I had no "problems," as I am 30 and completely healthy. After wearing these orthotics, I believe Dr. Stark when he says that poor orthotics are a leading cause of joint replacements, they were terrible. In my opinion, 5-8 years of happy joints and active lifestyle were well worth my 6-hour drive and $700. Dr. Stark was engaging and professional and more than answered all of my questions. He does not have a gushing bedside manner, which could be taken for arrogance, but his unique skills and knowledge and prevention-based approach more than make up for this. I have no idea what I will do when he retires.

flag | Submitted December 7, 2013