Ratings for Dr. Amy J. Theos

My daughter has a hemangioma near her eye. When she was 10 months old, and we were living elsewhere, I took her to see a specialist at Vanderbilt. He said that the hemangioma, though not large, might actually be a cherry angioma in which case, it would not fade on its own. He advised us to wait until she was 3, at which point, if it had not faded at all, he would recommend having it removed. When my daughter was just shy of 3, we moved to AL, and her hemangioma hadn't faded at all. We went to go see Dr. Theos, who I was told had extensive experience with hemangiomas. She didn't even come into the exam room! She sent a younger doctor (a resident?) in to take a picture of my daughter's face, and then they took the picture to Dr. Theos. The younger doc cam back saying that it would fade on its own, and that there was nothing to do. Meanwhile, my daughter is already starting to notice/get comments from other children on it. No confidence in a doc who doesn't even come to the exam room.

flag | Submitted November 7, 2012

The wait to see Dr. Theos can be long, but once we are back with the Dr it is not bad at all. This is to be expected with most any pediatric specialist due to the limited # we have in the area. The ladies in the registration area seem to work very hard and there are a large # of patients to care of at any given time. Dr. Theos and her staff take the time to explain and answer any questions we have. This was actually our second visit to Dr. Theos- for two seperate issues. I asked for her specifically due to being so impressed with the way she handled a painful facial rash my son had as a toddler that had stumped the pediatrician. She was the only one to correctly identify and treat it. The Children's South facility is beautiful- very colorful and fun for the kids. We were even treated to a visit from Pooh and Eeyore in the waiting area today! What a treat for the little ones!

flag | Submitted January 19, 2011

I live in mobile and went to b'ham to see this dr. Theos for my daughter's birthmark that is on her face. She told us there was nothing that could ever be done and to keep her out of the sun or she would get cancer. She was WRONG!!! She scared us for no reason and we have since found a great doctor in Panama City, who did a wonderful surgery. You can't even tell there was ever a birthmark there. I would never tell anyone to use her or go back there.

flag | Submitted April 28, 2010

My daughter has a hemangioma on her eye lid and has been being treated by Dr. Theos. Her progress has been remarkable. Dr Theos is very busy, and we often have to wait, but I don't feel that's uncommon. She and her staff are very kind and friendly as well.

flag | Submitted April 27, 2010

She diagnosed my son quickly and correctly. The two creames she recommended worked wonderfully! I left her office with the answers I was hoping to get.

flag | Submitted February 1, 2010

Dr. Theos was a life saver for my child. She is the only Dr. in Birmingham that took the time needed to diagnoise and treat my child. She is very focused, caring and experienced in her field. I saw my child go from being sucidal to having her life back just because she could not get the proper treatment for her skin condition. Dr. Theos put her on Embrel and followed her closely. She has always been available and my daughter who is now 20 would not go to anyone else.

flag | Submitted May 15, 2009

This doctor was supposed to do a skin biopsy and and no idea where to take it from. She wanted to take a 1/4 wide about 1/2 inch deep plug out of my baby's bottom while still in diapers. The biopsy was supposed to be non fatty tissue and I had to tell her the proper site was on the arm. She proceeded to take it from there and then put it in the wrong medium rendering it unusable. It was horrible. Then she wanted us to let her try again which we refused. There was no apology or explanation just the callus response of "mistakes sre made". I called the office and spoke with her nurse who was very apologitic. I told her we wanted an apology and she told us we would never get one from Dr. Theos. The site had healing problem for over a year and at some point will need plastic surgery. The referring doctor said they would not refer anymore patients to her. She also seemed to be distracted by the company of the male resident which was no fault of his own.

flag | Submitted September 10, 2008

Dr. Theos is a pediatric dermatologist. She is very busy, but worked us in to treat a hemangioma on the face. Her staff is always accomodating, and she is very kind. She felt terrible about having to give my daughter injections into her lip. I personally like a Dr. that I feel like cares about treating patients, and how patients are treated. My daughter looks great after her treatment of what could have been disfiguring.

flag | Submitted April 8, 2007

Dr. Amy J. Theos's Credentials

• Louisiana State University School Of Medicine In New Orleans (Grad. 1996)