Ratings for Dr. JAMES P. Michaels

It has been a few years since I went to see Dr, Michaels. I concur with the other patients who did not care for his attitude, compassion - or lack thereof. His staff was suppose to call me with a follow up appointment, that did not happen. The staff, or at least those of whom make the appointments for this doctor, absolutely do not care. In my opinion of course!

flag | Submitted February 9, 2015

Recently the DEA changed the laws governing hydrocodone(10/06/2014).I live 500 miles away from Tyler,but due to workers comp having to foot the bill,I drive in every 3 monthe to get my pain meds refilled.My last appt. was in August,I went to get my refills done at the local CVS here in town and they told me they couldn't refill my hydrocodone because of the new law,I have to have a hand written perscription for every refill now.You would have thought that at my last appt. he could of explained this to me,instead he made the perscription as always with 3 refills.Well I called the office with my problem.When they finally returned my call they said that there was nothing they could do because he was out of the office until 10/12/2014.I live with extreme back pain and they would not even try to call him to try to get him to mail me a perscription,they just do not care here.Now I have to try and find a doctor here where I live to write me a perscription for enough pain meds to get me through until I go to my next appt. in Nov.Go anywhere but here to see a doctor,like I said they don't care and I have been his patient since 2001!

flag | Submitted October 8, 2014

My husband and I are both patients of Dr. Michaels, and have found him to be quite knowledgeable, helpful, and understanding. We would recommend him to family and friends!

flag | Submitted June 14, 2012

Dr.refuses to return phone calls and his nurse is extremely rude. Appointments for treatment are very widely spaced, weeks at a time amd followup is almost non-existent. I would not recommend him to anyone until he and his staff learn much more about patient help and assistance.

flag | Submitted May 31, 2012

Dr. Michaels is the rudest, most inconsiderate doctor I've ever seen. He tried me on 2 new medications that gave me nasty side effects. When I explained these to him, he called me uncooperative and said I was trying to undermine our relationship. He said he gets tired of having to reexplain things to me and that I was taking up too much of his time at my appts. He was cruel and said that none of the other drs in my area would do anything more for me. He read my MRI as normal, yet my surgeon later said I have problems that will need surgery. I felt like I offended Dr. Michaels - as if I was challenging his intelligence. (I've had 2 major back surgeries and live in lots of pain.) Don't waste your time & money on him unless you have no say-so in your health; he seems to want you to shut up, sit there and not mention any negative things about the meds he's put you on. He NEVER once examined me after the 1st visit, although my medical records claim he did which is not true.

flag | Submitted September 10, 2009

Dr. JAMES P. Michaels's Credentials

• Texas Tech University Health Science Center School Of Medicine (Grad. 1992)

Kaiser-Permanente