Ratings for Dr. Mark Chiu

On May 20/16 Dr. Mark Chiu completed a Partial Meniscectomy and a Cartilage debridement on my left knee arthroscopically. Now, 13 days later I would say that his surgery has been very successful. For over a year I had excruciating pain in my left knee. It didn’t matter if I walked or just laid in bed, the “lightning” strike type pains came out of nowhere. After my MRI, it was determined that I had a tear in my Medial Meniscus. The jagged edges protruding into the knee caused the pain. Unfortunately, in our medical system, there was a waiting time to see orthopedic surgeons, especially the good ones. When making the appointment I spoke to Lauren his Medical Office Assistant. She was exceptional. She showed genuine concern, was knowledgeable, and tried to set up an appointment which worked well with my obligations. When I was able to see Dr. Chiu I was also impressed. In his office he has plaster casts of the knee and was able to show me the knee parts with the medial and lateral meniscus, ACL, cartilage, ligaments and tendons, etc. Knowing that a meniscus was torn he explained the arthroscopic surgery as well as giving me an option to have a hyaluronic solution injected during the operation to help keep the knee “oiled” . Sometimes as a senior, myself being 74 years old, many of us have sensed that Doctors are not as concerned with the surgery as they would be with much younger people. However, in my situation, Dr. Chiu, gave me as much attention as I received when I was a 21 year old athlete. A week before the operation, I had some concerns and wanted to see him. Knowing the waiting list, I was pleasantly surprised that Lauren was able to have me come after the last patient of the day. Dr. Chiu saw me again and alleviated my concerns, although he was done for the day. After the knee operation I woke up and had a folder showing the “Arthroscopy Findings”. There was a diagram of the knee and the procedures performed pointing to the various parts of the knee – which was very helpful. On June 2, Dr. Chiu removed the stitches and gave me a colour picture of my knee showing the difference before and after the surgery. Hopefully, I will not require any more knee surgeries but if I do, I certainly would choose Dr. Chiu and his Medical Office Assistant.

flag | Submitted June 2, 2016

1. If you don't want faxes, don't publish your fax number! When I objected to his secretary's advice that "it is not appropriate for you to fax Dr. Chiu", Dr. Chiu dismissed me as his patient, after I sent him a 4th or 5th fax in 18 months. He dissed me, even though he had operated on my left shoulder and I was awaiting a similar operation on my right shoulder. Damage to my shoulders occurred in 2012 as a result of neck surgery - I was strapped down too tightly on my back - anterior cervical discectomy & fusion - causing injuries to both supraspinatus tendons. Not only do I have, as known to this good doctor, chronic neck pain due to my 3 acd&f surgeries, but also, for the past 3 years, pain in both shoulders. And the shoulder Dr. Chiu operated on (left) is now, after 4 months, twice as painful as it was before the surgery! Maybe it is a Godsend that Dr. Chiu did not operate on my right shoulder. For, I am told by a leading orthopod in the U.S., it is inadvisable to operate on a senior's shoulder tendons due to age. It is like mending the knees of an old pair of jeans, he states. As they become worn and threadbare, they cannot be repaired! So, perhaps, just maybe, this 69 year old should not have had the surgery in the first place. This certainly gives one food for thought, and hopefully anyone reading this will also think twice about going "under the knife" unless absolutely necessary. And also, if surgery is elected, make sure you know your surgeon and his or her expectations at the outset, not 1 1/2 years later!

flag | Submitted September 17, 2015

Dr. Chiu performed surgery on my crushed ankle and leg and did a fantastic job. Very nice and caring, and did a great job of fixing it when it was so badly broken. I had my hardware removed as well, and the surgery went great and his staff is great as well. Highly recommend him!

flag | Submitted August 22, 2015

I had Dr Chui as my follow up doctor for a badly broken leg and he performed surgery on a clavicle that had been non unon for 10 years. I was very happy with him and his staff. He is very thorough and professional. He was clear with his concerns and convinced me to quit smoking. Excellent follow up. I would highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted July 11, 2015

He did such a horrible job of setting my broken arm, a five year old could have done better. The bones in the xrays now look just as crooked as they did before the surgery! They put a cast on the size of a leg cast which I could put my whole other arm down before I even left the hospital, and I went back to him as soon as I could get in but he refused to change the cast, without explanation. The cast was left on until my hand and wrist had become completely paralyzed. My arm and wrist and hand are extremely dysfunctional, deformed, and painful to this day, 9 months later, and I can no longer play instruments I used to play. I waited in the hospital for the surgery for over 4 days with no water or food. I really wish I had just gone home after my accident and never had gone to the hospital! I went through all that for nothing!

Submitted June 25, 2015

Dr.Chiu,is the best.The surgery he performed on my shoulder was a success.Before the surgery I had pain every day.Dr. Chiu's staff are helpful and polite.

flag | Submitted August 1, 2014

My 75 years old mom went through the right total knee replacement with Dr. Chiu's team. The surgery was wonderfully done and the recovery was faster than we thought. The multidisciplinary team members worked close to each other were so helpful. Mom is still participating her exercise classes with LMH's physiotherapist. We all can tell she is getting stronger everyday, and already walk faster than her pre-surgery status. Cheers for Dr. Chiu's team.

flag | Submitted July 30, 2014

Dr. Chiu is extremely professional. He repaired torn cartilage in my left knee in May 2011. He is a top notch surgeon. Don't worry, you are in good hands. The arthroscopic procedures are a lot better than what they used to be. My recovery was very quick compared to my surgeries in the mid 1990's.

flag | Submitted February 24, 2014

I had a massive tear in my rotator cuff and the surgery went very well and although the injury was severe and i hd a long recovery due to that fact Dr. Chiu was extremely fast and follow up was nothing better than excellent. I am fully healed and would highly recommend his work.

flag | Submitted July 8, 2013

Had a large supraspinatus tear, Dr Chiu did minimal invasive surgery and gave me a detailed plan to follow, (rest, physio, exercises), followed the plan and 20 weeks later, I'm at 90%, improved my quality of life greatly, I can sleep, exercise, work with very minimal discomfort now. I would recommend Dr Chiu in a heartbeat.

flag | Submitted July 2, 2013