Ratings for Dr. S.J. Govender

Thank goodness he retired, just now discovering that his quick diagnosis tactics and prescribing meds for non assistant conditions has caused a lot of harm and unnecessary suffering for my mom . I should have checked in to this doctor a long time ago.

flag | Submitted May 20, 2015

Prior to this doctor's retirement he was pretty good with my husband and faxing his prescriptions to the pharmacy (same medication and no problems), now without notice to his patients another doctor has taken over and refuses to fax his prescriptions to the pharmacy( this doctor does not fax ), his reception staff needs to take PR courses, they are very rude and are not helpfull or accommodating in any way. Will definitely be looking for another doctor

flag | Submitted September 10, 2014

I have been a patient of Dr. Govender for over 10 years and I'm looking for a new doctor. I had some tests done before Christmas and he told me I should call back in a week for the results. I called back the first time and he said he had not received them yet. I called back a second time and he wasn't in. I called back a third time and he said "oh, that was a long time ago, I'll have the girls pull them from storage, call back tomorrow." I called back a fourth time and he wasn't in. I called back a fifth time and he had a patient in his office and I should call back. I called back a 6th time and was told I should call back later in the day as he wasn't in yet. I called back at 11:30 and was told "oh, he's gone for the day, you should have called earlier". This all coupled with the fact that I never felt like he ever quite believed anything I was ever telling him, and that many times when I complained about pain in my foot I was told "well, you are getting older". Don't go!

flag | Submitted January 23, 2013

I have a shoulder issue and Dr. Governder and his staff went out of their way to find me a good orthopaedic surgeon. He has always been straight forward and honest with me, not many Drs admit when they don't know the answers to your questions and most wont go out of their way to find the answer.

flag | Submitted August 24, 2012

My son has a lazy eye since he was born i was always ask him about it he always said he would grow out of it he has now retired and we were given a great doctor who noticed my sons lazy eye right away turns out my son can not see from that eye and has a rare lazy eye im glad he retired cuz he was not helpful to us at all

flag | Submitted July 16, 2012

I felt like Dr. Govender was once a good Doctor but now that he is retiring he just doesn't care anymore. I booked in for a full physical (this is a challenge because i DO NOT get week days off) and he tells me to come back another time, perhaps to see the doctor that is taking over for him. I was confused on why he was not able to do this for me? I also went to see him about skin issues and he completely ignored what i was saying and wrote me a prescription for something i have used in the past and did not work for me. It also cost me $150 for this Rx. There was no explanation of what the pills were at all, just a "these will help you, see you next time." He did not address one issue i had while i was there and i think it would be more beneficial to visit a medi-center next time.

flag | Submitted February 15, 2012

I went to this doctor recentoy for a few conditions I had been experiencing including headache, stomachache and skin dryness (I tend to make my trip to the doctor worthwhile).About my skin condition, the doctor said: "It's a rash, if it gets worse let me know"!!! Why am I there in the first place? The he did not even listen to my symptoms of my stomachache. About my headache, he told me to go for blood tests. I called to inquire about my results and his answer was: "We have probably gotten your results back and they are probably ok"!!! Is there probability in health matters? This is the absolute worst doctor and he should be forcefully retired by Alberta Healthcare as this treatment is not what people pay taxes for

flag | Submitted November 21, 2011

Needs to learn proper manners and some empathy. Also has to improve the way he writes prescriptions so as not to waste anymore of my time trying to clarify things because he is so rushed or indifferent.

flag | Submitted August 25, 2011

Dr. Govender is one of the best GP's in Canada. The only people who have trouble with him are ones who are trying to scam the health care system. His answers may seem abrupt, but the truth often is simply stated, and he is a man of a few words. He does need to take a course on phone manners. He never says "bye". He just hangs up when he feels the conversation is over. Once you understand that, you're no longer baffled when he hangs up.

flag | Submitted April 30, 2010

I am a former patient of Dr. Govender. I found him to be extremely helpful and caring. I had a couple of major issues and the good doctor was very interested in my recovery. I returned for a visit about 1 year after moving locations to touch base and let him know that I appreciated his help. He was still interested and was happy to see I was health. I do apprecaite his interest and was critical in my recovery.

flag | Submitted March 10, 2010