Ratings for Dr. Alan Sobey

Dr. Sobey is no longer at Grey Nuns or Surgicorp. He is now the head of the ICU unit at the University of Alberta Hospital. Notwithstanding some negative comments below, I found Dr. Alan Sobey to be very kind and friendly. He took time out to give me an informative consultation on his own dime and provided me with good advice and references. I subsequently discovered that this guy has a sterling reputation with everyone at Grey Nuns Hospital from other surgeons right down to the nurses and receptionists.

flag | Submitted September 3, 2013

I have nothing nice to say about this doctor. Every part of my experience with him was awful.

flag | Submitted February 2, 2013

An indifferent and uncaring doctor shows spotty credential and affiliation.  Don’t listen and not responsive. Poor recommendation, constantly and repeatedly push for the same procedures which show no trust on his own opinion and competence also strongly objects to second opinion.  Takes questions and concerns personally and adapt a defensive insecure attitude.  Makes unnessery irrelevant comments. Has no respect to patient's condition, time or emotions. Lack of confidence. Poor bed-side manners that shows insecurity. Very difficult to approach, discuss concerns with.

flag | Submitted December 28, 2012

Not only did this doc make me wait far too long at my appt. He said my gallbladder surgery could wait 'til I had further complications. Sexist quack.

flag | Submitted April 5, 2012

Dr. Sobey restored my faith in the medical community. If you are retiring Dr. Sobey I would love to donate funds to have you cloned! Seriously...if it were possible :(

flag | Submitted June 28, 2010

Just wonderful. Performed 2 surgeries(lap appendectomy and incisional hernia) this past year, the only complication with the first was the response to the anesthetic which caused the second. When the second surgery had to be cancelled due to miscommunication, he got me in during his on call night hours a week later. Wonderful man, and VERY sad to hear of his retirement!

flag | Submitted September 14, 2009

Incredible man!!! I had colon surgery in 2000. His manner and professionalism was fantastic! Caring; compassionate; and patient are words to describe Dr. Sobey. I truly believe he is one of the BEST!!!

flag | Submitted June 24, 2009

The good doc did a lap. gallbladder for my wife and follow up testing when she had further symptoms (neg. tests). When I asked about colonoscopy, he listened to my symptoms and did an endo and colonoscopy. He was humorous, competent, professional, caring, etc. My wife and I could not be more impressed and happy. We fully trust him and his information to make a good decision on care. His clinical experience, judgment, intelligence, competence are second to none. The isolated few who had a problem with him probably are not telling the full story and putting their emotions above facts. If there was a problem, I would expect him to be approachable and work to resolve it. Our experiences with him, including my scopes today, were positive and pleasant. He is also respected by his peers who refer to him without hesitation.

flag | Submitted June 19, 2009

Alan Sobey is the best doctor ever!!!! most people have family doctors, we have a family surgeon in Dr.Sobey!!! I highly recommend him!!!!

flag | Submitted March 7, 2009

Dr. Alan Sobey provided exceptional care and was wonderful at explaining things in very understandable terms. He is a surgeon with a warm heart, which is rare, in my experience.

flag | Submitted February 5, 2009