Ratings for Dr. Ann Brooks

Excellent psychiatrist. Feel blessed to have been given her name by a friend many years ago.Compassionate and caring.

flag | Submitted May 20, 2011

I have seen Dr.Brooks for 9 years for depression. She has always treated me with respect, she listens to what you have to say and tries to help you with your problems. She has helped me through some difficult times and I feel very lucky to have been treated by her, I am at a point where I feel my depression is in the past and I will be able to cope without meds and she is supportive of my efforts to reduce meds. She is not a pill pusher. Remember if you are having mental health problems, you have to do the work to get better and not expect all the answers to be handed to you. How can they help you if you won't help yourself.

flag | Submitted April 15, 2010

Over the years Dr.Brooks has been an excellant doctor to me.She has helped me through some very difficult times. She is always very caring and helpful.

flag | Submitted March 21, 2010

I find Dr Brooks to be exceptionally caring, thorough and knowledgeable. From some of the comments I've read I think people are confusing the roles of psychiatrists and psychologists.If you don't know the difference please look it up before you criticise Dr. Brooks,a psychiatrist, of not being good at her job. It's like criticising your plumber because he didn't redecorate your bathroom to make it look like a magazine picture. Is your plumbing working? Then he did his job. Call you EAP if you just want someone to talk to and for stress management techniques

flag | Submitted June 22, 2009

Dr. Brooks is exceptional. I've been a consumer of mental health services for 15 yrs and have seen a number of different individuals. She is kind, understanding and empathetic! Also, she is wonderful to work with, she approaches your care with a "team mentality". This is very empowering! With Dr. Brooks, your opinion matters and she's always open to suggestions. To those who feel she doesn't give enough cognitive behavioral therapy I say this...she's an MD...of course she's very well versed in the medical model and prescription drugs, she has to be!! Many of us wouldn't be able to try the behavioural techniques until the medication helped to ease some of the terrible symptoms. Contact your EAP program through work if you are working or ask for a referral to mental health outpatient services, get a psychologist or read a book. She can only do so much, you have to put the effort in to get well just as much. I am a HCP and many expect the Dr. to "cure" them but refuse to do any work alone

flag | Submitted February 19, 2009

I had seen Dr. Brooks for 5-6 years. I stopped going to her once I realized that none of the real issues had been dealt with. I was basically just going to see her for a half hour chat and to get my meds. I now just go to my family doctor to get the meds and don't bother with Dr. Brooks.

flag | Submitted May 21, 2008

Exceptional doctor - thorough knowledge of and experience with meds and conditions, which is vital for successful treatment. Also a working knowledge of family medicine as she was formerly a family practioner. On time, accommodating, patient and supportive. One of the best of the best in Nova Scotia psychiatry.

flag | Submitted April 29, 2008

I've seen Dr Brooks on 5 or 6 occasions and don't feel any less anxious then then before I saw her the first time. I feel like she's just a "friend to talk to" but get no where with the real problem. She's all about pills which I guess in her line of profession is expected..but coping and dealing with situations using your own mind and not one drugged up is more what I'm looking for. I guess this is unheard of in psychiatry??? I do have to say that she is knowledgeable and understanding. She's a pleasure to talk to as well.

flag | Submitted September 13, 2007

I find her to be very knowledgeable - especially on recent studies. I had to recent change my care plan and before doing so - she carefully researched before deciding on a new plan. I find her to be a good listener and empathic. She is always on time. She has also seen me on short notice and I find her very accomodating.

flag | Submitted May 30, 2007

Does not have much valuable to say. Does not give any suggestions on how to improve situation. Prescripes meds. But no real input into controlling anxiety outside the realm of drugs

flag | Submitted April 3, 2007