Ratings for Dr. John McCall

So l have been a patient for ten years. I have lupus and arthritis Most of the issues people have with him is the wait But he is worth it. He can be abrupt but he will hold your hand if you are in pain

flag | Submitted May 22, 2017

I cut off my leg in an accident. Dr McCall put it back together. After 18 years i am still walking. Thank you Dr McCall. Also, he is not only good surgeon i is good person.

flag | Submitted March 28, 2017

Yes, I had issues after he performed surgery on me. Yes, he took care of me. Yes, he has a sense of humour. Yes, if you are a whiny, beetchy, poosy, you will not like him. Yes, he is very skilled. Yes, he is old, tired and very freakin' busy! Yes, the system in Canada sucks for wise old men like him who can put you back together when you break yourself, even if he doesn't work in a "hoydee toydee US hospital." Yes, if you break yourself, don't blame him if you get an infection during surgery at a broken-down, old Canadian hospital out in the sticks. Yes, he doesn't have time for Nincompoops like you. If he was as bad as everyone says, he'd be sued out of existence or fired by now, so just be glad he is there to tirelessly fix you up. He is a Lion. Not perfect, but a Lion you should be glad to have in your corner, if you can RESPECT all that he has been through, you ingrates. LOL

flag | Submitted March 23, 2017

One of the best surgeon I ever met before. His knowledge is great and incredible sense of humanity. The feeling is to be in very good hands

flag | Submitted September 19, 2016

Friend of mine was in bad accident in 2011 and McCall will not help him. He is a quack!

flag | Submitted June 5, 2016

Had my knee scoped and was told everything went well.But had to have 2 cortisone shots within 6 weeks.It's been almost a year since the surgery and am still having pain.Am seeing a different surgeon now.And don't get me started on the wait period.Maybe it's time he retired.A nice man but I wouldn't trust him again.

flag | Submitted May 17, 2016

Too bad there's only a 5 for knowledge. He blows other Dr's away. I and my wife have both had several encounters with Dr. McCall and I can see why some feel he's a little rough around the edges when it comes to bedside manner.... He's a human being. I found the later in the day the appointments are, the less sense of humour he has but he's always been professional. Is there a long wait time before appointments? Often there is but today I had a 9:00am appointment to see him, I was called into the exam room at 8:54am and out and back at my car by 9:35am after spending about 15 minutes with him discussing my case and next steps thoroughly. That's a record for any hospital appointment in my book. On the days where there was a long wait it was usually because he was in surgery and if there are complications he's not going to toss a gauze strip on his patient and go see you. He's going to finish his surgery. So if you can't wait, don't see him on a surgery day. As for "bait and switch" surgery, the same thing happened to my wife. He was supposed to go in to her ankle with laparoscopy and ended up opening her ankle up to properly repair a tendon that had come loose from the bone from her accident. He can't put you back to gether through a little hole, he's gotta go in. She was told that was a possibility ahead of time so when it happened it was not a surprise. As for his knowledge, well... you don't get called to be an Olympic Team surgeon three (3) times and win an award for a fourth if you don't know your stuff. He found a broken Talus bone in my foot when two other Dr's said there was nothing wrong. He will tell you straight about what he thinks about your case, tell you what he thinks you should do but he won't hold your hand through it. If you want to get better... do what you're told. It's your choice. He's currently scheduling an MRI for me to see what's going on in my ankle. The current prognosis is that nothing is broken and no soft tissue has come loose despite the pain I've been in but he wants a better look than X-Rays can provide. If needed he'll go in and clean thing up. If I need surgery I'll post that experience too. I've been to him before and I'd go back in a heart beat. I just need to stop hurting myself. ;-)

flag | Submitted April 22, 2016

Would not trust anyone else .tells you like it is and then puts 100% in to getting you fixed up..extremely busy but the wait is worth it ...

flag | Submitted January 18, 2016

I have seen Dr. McCall for several years. I have a rare case with both of my knees. Over the years he has always had what's the best treatment option for me in mind. If not for Dr. McCall I would not be walking. He is very blunt and to the point. You must follow his medical directions & advice given and never give up hope. In doing this he will go out of his way to help you. His staff members are great. When they say they will get back to you, they do in the same day which is very rare these days in the medical profession. He is extremely knowledgeable and don't ever doubt him. Remember he is the highly qualified specialist. Wait times are sometimes long when you have your appointment at a hospital location, but keep in mind he is also doing surgeries throughout the day, emergency orthopaedic surgeries & sees patients in between. I refuse to see any other orthopaedic surgeon as Dr. McCall has never done me wrong. The drive from Cambridge for an appt. with him is well worth it. He also has a great sense of humour. Treat him with respect and he will do the same in return!

flag | Submitted September 28, 2015

Dr doesnt care and staff dont care. Every appointment has atleast a 3 hour wait time and he never spend more then 5 minutes with you. And when you ask questions he treats you like a pain. I went in with 2 hammer toes and achilis tendonitis. During the surgery he pinned one toe, put a petmanent nail in the other, and he says he stretched my tendon. I ended up with a blood infection after surgery. When he finally had time to see me he said "well i guess the pin was dirty so we should probably remove it." ARE YOU SERIOUS??? What did you do spit on it? Then the permanent nail "came loose" so that ment another surgery. Then my achilis tendon became infected. I was supposed to have one surgery not 4. And i was supposed to be back to work after 2 months and it took 8 months to recover. He doesnt care and has no bedside manner. Dr.mcCall need to retire! I cant believe hes still considered a doctor.

flag | Submitted July 9, 2015