Ratings for Dr. Norman Thie

I have been a patient for 10 plus years within Dr. Thie's practice including family, friends, co-workers.

flag | Submitted August 24, 2016

Dr Thie has a wonderful welcome to the office each visit from front reception, into clinic area, providing a comfortable and private surrounding to discuss my concerns, examination, diagnosis. The treatment staff in advance discuss coordinating and outlining my care within the office. His clinical staff are awesome on follow-up visits and enjoy their promptness and courtesy with me in all respects. Sincerely.

flag | Submitted August 24, 2016

This was my first apt at this clinic, out of the three clinics I've gone to for my tmj issues this one by far is the best so far staff was very helpful. The doctor had great bed side manner this is a huge plus and is huge to me .. Looking Forward to dealing with this clinic .

flag | Submitted August 24, 2016

My 17 year old daughter was diagnosed with a sore jaw and a jaw that clicks and was referred to Dr Thie by my family dentist. Upon arriving for our appointment we were asked to sit and fill out four pages of forms. Part of the forms were in regards to patient records and confidentiality but the majority of the forms were geared towards assurance of payment, either from the patient or in this case the parent of the patient ( there is a section asking where the parents were employed, like that should matter), or releasing information to the insurance companies to initiate payment (if covered). As soon as the forms were completed I was asked to pay UP FRONT ($315.00) for services not yet rendered. I was beginning to feel slighted somehow. We were then escorted to a typical examination room and asked to have a seat. Dr Thie arrived and introduced himself. I was disappointed in his personal presentation. His clothes were very rumpled and his hair looked like he just crawled out of bed. He then performed a. Very brief ( no more than two minutes) examination of my daughters jaw. This examination literally consisted of him using his fingers to push on different points of the jaw. My daughter had already explained about the jaw clicking and where it was sore and his poor excuse of an examination seemed to be nothing more than an opportunity to boast (up sell) the 3D imaging machine he was more than eager to refer us to ($550.00-$600.00 depending on whether the patient is of age). He then assured my daughter that he would heal her jaw but really all he did was recommend a "splint" (which is what our family dentist should have done as he did for my other daughter and myselfwhen we were grinding our teeth at night) He then asked us to sit in another room to wait for the "treatment specialist" a cleverly veiled term for "payment option specialist". A pleasant lady then joined us and proceeded to tell us what the path forward was going to be. On Dr Thie's recommendation they were going to send our referral, along with the insurance forms (saying it probably won't be covered) to the 3D imaging lab and that they would call us to book the appointment. I questioned why we needed to have this imaging done if the treatment recommendation was already decided to be a splint. The lady then told us that we could "defer"the imaging to a later date. My daughter then asked why they couldn't just use a regular x-ray and if so why they couldn't just ask our dentist for copies? The lady could only answer that a regular X-Ray doesn't "micro slice" the image. I wanted to say "so what?" But was trying very hard not to be rude at this point as the lady seemed to be getting uncomfortable having to answer pointed questions. I then asked what type of "splint" it was that my daughter was going to get and how much will it cost? The lady pulled out an example of the "splint" and told us that it would cost $1500.00. I found myself staring at a copy of the "mouth guard" I have at home and I expressed that to the lady. She went on to explain that this "splint is special " and has a smooth surface and is made of acrylic to protect your teeth at night. I told her that so was my mouth guard and that I paid less than $500.00 for it. I don't recall if insurance covered it or not. The lady then seemed to get the impression that I maybe couldn't afford it and began to offer payment options. (No interest!). I assured her that "if" we were going to proceed that I would just pay for it. Again, to not seem rude ( it's the Canadian in me I guess), we booked two appointments. One to get the mould and one to receive the "splint". My daughter then asked if she needed to bring a parent with her for her next appointment and the lady said "No, just as long as you bring your parents CREDIT CARD" as we needed to lay UP FRONT AGAINI! I nearly laughed out loud. To sum it up , this whole experience seemed to be nothing more than a money grab. I was completely disgusted with the way Dr.Thie runs his practice.as he seems to gear his treatment more towards getting as much money as he can from the patient with little regard to the actual treatment. I am going to have a serious conversation with our family dentist and express to him my complete disappointment in his referral to Dr. Thie. Our family dentist and his staff have provided my family with excellent service for close to 25 years and I hope that he can see through Dr.Thies sham. and stop referring patients to him. I am certain that i am not alone in either my bad experience or my low opinion of Dr Thie and his practice.

Submitted August 21, 2016

Seemed to lose all interest in me as a patient when I told him that my dentist had charged me for the splint. I'm imagining that's what his surly attitude and asking "so you paid your dentist for it?" twice were about.

Submitted August 11, 2016

Both Dr Thie and his office assistant were very abrupt when I started asking questions about the difference from a split (which is covered by my plan) and a TMJ appliance (which is covered by AHS if referred by an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon). I had a 2 months old CTscan of my entire jaw from the Kaye Clinic which he refused to acknowledge. He referred me to do another set. When I asked the technician at the imaging centre, I was told it is the same type of scan. When I asked for a referral to see a TMJ Surgeon, he told me that is fraud, and turned around and left. I very upset with lack customer service, unwillingness to address concerns and simply lack of interest. Not to mention the healthy consultation charges imposed, way above the Alberta guideline. I wonder if this office simply forgot who is the customer?...

Submitted July 13, 2016

Attend Dr. Thie's office referred by my doctor. His office is great, staff very helpful, personable, take care of my paperwork needs. Dr. Thie is thorough, very knowledgeable and kind, created a wonderful treatment plan for me.

flag | Submitted January 26, 2016

i have visited Dr Thie's, office several times. His staff have been courteous and polite each time I've been there.He answered all my questions regarding TMJ and has put together a plan for the next few months. i already have found relief . i see now why my Doctor referred me to him!

flag | Submitted January 22, 2016

Very unprofessional. 5 minutes for $300. Didn't answer any of my questions and was more concerned with joking around with the ladies at the front desk during my appointment than addressing my concerns.

Submitted January 15, 2016

My sons were referred to this doctor by our Orthodontic specialist for TMJ assessment and treatment. Our experience could not be worse. We were overcharged for a dental attention that was quite mediocre. After a very expensive two assessment visits and an incredible expensive MRI, the charge for the TMJ splint and follow up visits was $1500. The follow up consisted only on a 2 minutes visit where Dr. Thie barely looked at my son's mouth and asked him to book the next appointment. After only two visits the so called Dr. Thie got mad because my son got his braces and in a very rude way turned his back to him and just said "see you in 2 years, as you did not supposed to have braces until you finish your TMJ treatment". How do you know what treatment goes first if you are not a dentist? He suppose to give you that kind of advice. When my Orthodontic specialist called his office to ask for the MRI results she was told they were not releasing any information. To this day we have been at his office three times to get an explanation and were never able to speak to Dr. Thie as the front desk personnel always says he is not available. We have called several times and we have been promised that somebody will call us back but that never happens. I will not recommend my family or friends to see this doctor, and my Orthodontist regrets the day she referred us to him.

Submitted September 2, 2015