Ratings for Dr. L. Dhurjon

Just left my visit with dr. Dhurjon after waiting for close to 3 hours to see him for 2 minutes. I was sent to him by the Drs at th emergency room for having something in my eye. Before I could even speak he cut me to say I had nothing in there. He hadn't even looked yet! So now here I am still having pain in my eye and not knowing what else to do. Seemed as tho I was causing him trouble for being sent there. He must be done his job at 5pm cause it was getting close and probably wanted to go home.

flag | Submitted September 15, 2016

Excellent knowledge and impressive experience. Punctuality, helpfulness and professionalism were disappointingly terrible

flag | Submitted September 13, 2016

Dr. Dhurjon, definitely knows their stuff, however, so do plenty of other specialists who have phenomenal intellectual capabilities, but also, have wonderful bedside manner. Being overworked and stressed is part of being a doctor, and more specifically, an Ontario doctor. As med students, they knew exactly what they were getting into. Furthermore, whether people like it or not, doctors regardless of what they decided to practice are well compensated for that work and stress. I mention this as my mother is a patient of Dr. Dhurjon. As an immigrant woman who still speaks broken English and sometimes has difficulty understanding words and phrases, it is vital for her to ask questions and have things explained to her in a thorough manner. In the most recent visit she asked the doctor a question and they did not respond. My mother thought they did not understand her so, she asked again. Again, no response. She then asked them why they were not answering her questions. To which this doctor responded that they answers questions that they feel need answering. This is highly unacceptable and unprofessional. This is also potentially problematic as it is one of the roles of the doctor to collect patient information. Many times important information is reveal via casual conversation and questions. A doctor has the potential to miss something if excellent communication is not in place. Furthermore, behaviour of doctors has been well-documented in public health studies which find that doctors with poor bedside manners can lead patients to a) not feeling comfortable in letting doctors know exactly what's happening, which can lead to misdiagnosis and poor or unnecessary care; and b) refusal to return to see that doctor, even when care is desperately needed. As a partner to someone who will be in this doctor's position in a few short years, I would be horrified to find out that he would treat any of his patients in this manner. Northern Ontario does not always have the luxury of having multiple specialists. Therefore, it is pertinent that all doctors working in the North are not only gifted intellectually, but also, in communication and empathy. Remember, it is an honour and privilege to be a doctor. You are here to serve patients in an ethical, responsible, caring way. Patients are not an inconvenience or annoyance.

flag | Submitted June 5, 2016

His bedside manner is a little short & the procedures is always a little rough to handle anyway, but looking at his dedication & long long hours it isn't surprising that he's less than chatty. He did great work & we are lucky to have him here.

flag | Submitted May 3, 2016

I have been going to Dr. D for years for eye injections. I like this doctor very much as I have grown to know him over the years. I find him kind, very caring, very , full of knowledge and so busy I wonder how he does it all.

flag | Submitted April 21, 2015

As if top notch patient care were a popularity contest ! I found Dr. Dhurjon to be a quiet, efficient, professional healer with an unenviable work load. I for one am of the " bow down and worship " mode. North western Ontario is very fortunate to have such a care giver in our midst.

flag | Submitted February 27, 2015

I am a regular patient of Dr Dhurjon. He is overworked and extremely busy but he knows what he is doing. I have had excellent care and, over the years, he has become more friendly and personable. He does tend to be a quiet man. That doesn't matter much to me. His skill and knowledge are impeccable. As for punctuality ... Well I expect a long wait when I go there. I have yet to meet ANY opthalmologist (and I have seen more than my fair share!) who doesn't keep me waiting half the day. Their waiting rooms are always packed. I do not blame the doctor for this issue. He is trying to see everyone who needs to be seen. That's hardly his fault.

flag | Submitted January 5, 2015

He took my mom with a 4 hour notice due to the severity of her condition

flag | Submitted October 30, 2014

I have had three visits with Dr Dhurjon, enduring the apparently standard long hours of waiting. Like others, I found him to be strangely cold and impatient with human communication. I am ready to allow for this lack of compassion if technical competence makes up for it, and that appears to be the case. However there is one crucial area where his attention seems to fail. That is in his administration of office matters. One of my eyes is nearly blind and Dr Dhurjon discovered a problem with my optic nerve. He said he would refer me to a neurologist, and asked me to let him know if I didn't hear anything in six weeks. The six weeks passed. I telephoned his office. The assistant told me they would call back. Then seven weeks passed with no call. I phoned again. This time the assistant's information made me realize the doctor hadn't yet even prepared the referral letter. Aargh!

flag | Submitted November 22, 2012

Had an referral to him due to sudden changes in vision and a large spot in my line of vision. His response was don't look at it. I understand we are there for their expertise but if we all had to pay for his service I bet his waiting room would be empty! We have no choice unfotunately than to put up with it, It's free right? what more do you want. Too bad we can't go to OHIP and tell them not to pay when service is bad.

flag | Submitted October 14, 2012