Ratings for Dr. Jan C. Van Der Donk

His work work may be masterful but his personality is not

flag | Submitted July 23, 2015

Specialists in other dental offices have told me his work is "masterful". I agree. I have had a lot of work done and it has been absolutely trouble-free.

flag | Submitted January 26, 2015

Would not recommend or ever go to again. He said I had a cavity and would need an expensive root canal. I didn't have dental coverage, so he kept applying a "temporary" filling that constantly needed to be replaced, until I had dental coverage, at which point he wanted to do a lot of unnecessary work. I followed my instincts to another dentist who confirmed that I didn't need a root canal and replaced my "temporary" filling with a permanent one at the same cost I had been paying (on a regular basis) to keep up the "temporary" filling.

flag | Submitted December 18, 2014

flag | Submitted July 28, 2014

Compassionate, caring, professional, personable, knowledgable....

flag | Submitted January 15, 2014

i've been going to him since i was 6 (am 31 now) and he has always been the nicest guy to me...had some great conversations about things related and not related to my teeth. i always had anxiety going to doctors and dentist but not with this guy. sure he'll guilt me about not flossing as much as i should etc etc but overall i find the place quite comforting and has a home feel to it..being that it isn't your typical dental office. i have seen him get annoyed with some of his staff...but when your employees aren't doing their job 100% sometimes they need a firm talking to. overall i think he's the best and i wouldn't go anywhere else.

flag | Submitted November 6, 2013

I was very unhappy with my experience here overall. He pushed me to have unnecessary work done and was very knowledgeable regarding the exact amounts and procedures that were covered by my insurance. He pushed me to change existing fillings that had not been a problem, and then did a terrible job on one that is going to require more dental work (from someone else). This office tries to give an image of a friendly, small practice, but after a few visits and one late visit, this veneer quickly fell off, and they didn't seem so friendly anymore. I have stopped going here and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. At the very least, he lacks knowledge, at worst, he's playing the insurance system and recommending unnecessary procedures.

flag | Submitted October 4, 2012

On surface, he seems to be a pleasant and knowledgeable professional. However, he started to push me to get a very expensive and unesthetic-looking crown.Even after I explained that I did not want it, he kept pushing and even became aggressive about it. He made fun of my concerns in a very unprofessional manner and was rude to me.In addition, he ignored my concern with pain in another tooth because that procedure was not an expensive one. I will never go back to his office. I had consultations with two other dentist and both recommended very different , cheaper treatments.

flag | Submitted February 6, 2011

Knows his stuff. Does very good work. I recommend him without any reservation.

flag | Submitted August 13, 2010

This Dr. has been the best experience I have had with a dentist. He is very concerned about my oral health and does explain everything carefully, presenting all options and allowing me to have full control over decisions about my course of treatment. He is very attentive and polite with me as patient; I have experienced him being rude toward his asst. and agree with previous poster that I felt badly for her, embarrassed, this is an inappropriate way to treat those who help you do your work. Also, I agree that the office could use a facelift...even a good cleaning and paint job would improve the impression of the office as a place where professional health services are offered. Nonetheless, I fully trust this dr. with my oral health. He is a knowledgable and skilled practitioner.

flag | Submitted December 13, 2009