Ratings for Dr. Alan So

Thanks Dr. So. We came from Kamloops with a bit of fear and not knowing 100% what was going on. You really helped ease our fears. I hope you are as good as they say you are. We are looking forward to Jan when you remove my cancer. Ray B.

flag | Submitted December 25, 2017

I just came home from VGH after surgery with this Dr. I have to say things went smoothly. kidney tumor is out. All I have are some small scars. He is the only doc with a robot to remove the small cancers in BC. Two nights in the hospital. Nurses and docs in hospital were all awesome.

flag | Submitted December 24, 2017

I saw Dr So with my 19 year old son who was feared to have testicular cancer. As a parent I can tell you that we went through many sleepless nights during this process. Dr So was amazing, caring and I am so glad we were dealing with him. Thank God my son won the proverbial lottery and ended up not having cancer but something else that was so rare Dr So throughly researched it before he contacted us with the results. After 2 surgeries that went well my son is back to living life and looking forward to his future. The staff who works for Dr So were awesome and made arrangements to get us in to see all the pre op appointments needed right away. They were very considerate of the distance we had to travel to see the doctor which is a huge deal when you don’t live in Vancouver let alone BC. Thank you Dr So for your support through what was a very difficult time

flag | Submitted December 23, 2017

Nice bedside skills, smart, and intelligent. Going to see a urologist is never fun, but he made it ok. I liked his approach with me and my wife and he took all my questions. If you need your prostate out- he's your guy.

flag | Submitted December 6, 2017

I had my bladder removed 4 years ago by Doctor So- called a cystectomy. I am confident when I say that he saved my life. As a member of Bladder Cancer Canada (https://bladdercancercanada.org) I know that he has saved many other in the same situation I was in. My home urologist sent me to him for a "Neobladder"- a new bladder - and it's not 100% perfect but I don't leak urine, I don't have a stoma, and I AM ALIVE. Doctor SO, I hope you know how much you mean to us! Please realize that we appreciate you and your care!

flag | Submitted November 25, 2017

This Doctor did the surgery for my father's "routine" prostate cancer surgery that was anything but routine. Immediately after the surgery, he then advised us that he was going to be gone for one month on paternity leave! What kind of doctor does that? Less than a month after his surgery, he died and was in and out of the hospital for weeks due to complications and infections etc. My healthy, active, vibrant Father died as a result of the surgery and after care of Dr. So. - from something routine that we as a family had raised with him. Beware of this doctor - we advocated diligently for my Father and we were carefully monitoring everything involved with his care. His death was preventable - avoid this doctor and keep your loved ones alive.

flag | Submitted November 23, 2017

My father is a patient of Dr. Alan So . Although I live in another country, Dr. So updated me frequently before the surgery and afterwards- it was tough to be away from my father but Dr. So 's confidence and kindness made things much much easier. My father did very well and I am so thankful. From- Family of Wong Lee Hap.

flag | Submitted August 7, 2017

Dr. Alan review: 1. Overall good guy. He was patient with my wife and I during the consultation. 2. I have discussed my case with my GP- and Dr. So has an enormous reputation. Obviously I can't determine his surgical skills but in the medical community he is known as "the go to guy". 3. My procedure is booked in 6 weeks. Dr. So said he is optimistic about my chances to beat this. I am hoping I don't need any chemo or radiation stuff.

flag | Submitted August 1, 2017

He is likely a skilled and competant surgeon. His bedside manner is cheerful and reassuring. Is is, however, completely unavailable for any post-op questions or concerns. His staff are unhelpful. I felt that Dr. So was never straight up front about what my husband was heading into re. kidney removal. I believe that Dr. So knew going in that it was going to fail. Poor communication and we didn't get all the information.

flag | Submitted July 18, 2017

Superb surgeon. My wife and I travelled from Saskatchewan to see this highly respected surgeon to take out my bladder. I would do it again in a heartbeat. After three months my wife and I are now heading to Florida and I am now cancer free. Wow!! Staff are ok- but we are not here to see the staff- only Doc So is important. I would let him operate on my kids and wife anyday!

flag | Submitted May 12, 2017