Ratings for Dr. Susan K. Bonar

Worse experience of my life was seeing this woman. I am permanently disabled because of her! Not sure about the five stars given by others! If I could give no stars I would. Her staff is the worse excuse of a medical staff I have ever be subjected.

flag | Submitted July 6, 2018

Dr. Bonar has my highest recommendation. First, she took me as a patient right away after several other prominent orthopedic foot doctors turned me down. She took a holistic approach that began with the least invasive action first (eventually I did have surgery). At her suggestion, I began a comprehensive health regime that included diet, supplemental vitamins and increased physical activity to make me as healthy as possible before surgery and give my body its best chance to heal. We took it slow. Eventually she performed a revision surgery on my foot. During a long and difficult recovery I had regular x-ray and MRI assessments. Dr. Bonar was very honest with me when my first results after surgery were not what I hoped they would be. She gave me hope. As a result, I stayed the course. Thankfully, my foot actually began to heal. Things worked out for me. I now wear regular shoes with an insert and am planning to travel again. I do not have significant pain. My prognosis, confirmed by both formal medical evaluation (x-ray and MRI) and my own assessment of my situation is very good. I see by reading the other evaluations that some have had a different outcome. My heart goes out to them. I know how that feels. I lived with a bad outcome myself after my first operation. I know all about the anger, disappointment and fear after a failed surgery. What I can say about Dr. Bonar is that she gave me, and will give you, every opportunity to get better and have a positive outcome. She is a very skilled/talented surgeon who comes highly recommended by her colleagues and and those who do physical therapy after foot surgeries (I checked and I encourage you to check as well). She is a good surgeon. I listened to her and did what she said to do. I did the vitamin regime, stayed off my foot, and most important believed in her when my first reports came back negative. Her bedside manner with me was calming, positive and helpful. You will need to believe in your doctor and your doctor must have a the training, skill and talent to deliver a good outcome. Dr. Susan K. Bonar was all that for me.

flag | Submitted March 20, 2018

I highly do NOT recommend her. Patient care and knowledge is not on her priority list. I dislike her moody, superior attitude and after 2 surgeries I still have problems!

flag | Submitted October 23, 2017

Dr. Bonar is patient, thorough, caring and extremely knowledgeable. I hobbled into her with a badly broken foot, fearing surgery. Walked out empowered with nutritional information and best healing instructions. One month later, no surgery needed walking nearly pain free and on a new path of nutritional health for a stronger healthier me. Dr. Bonar treats the whole person as an individual not just another blank face. Her staff is wonderful also; very efficient and helpful with x-rays, billing, scheduling and or any other questions that arise. I highly recommend Dr. Bonar!

flag | Submitted June 29, 2017

Ten years later I'm still in pain. I still have a hole in the bottom of my foot that I can put my finger into. I have a staple that is trying to work it's way out of the hole. I nearly bleed to death when I awoke from out patient surgery and had to be admitted to the hospital. Was told after one year that she could no longer see me. That my insurance was no longer accepted by her. My foot looked like I had stepped on a land mine when I first saw it after the surgery. I had planters fascia.

flag | Submitted January 25, 2017

While reading reviews of Dr Bonar I was intriqued that either she was extremely liked or not at all! I have to say she did surgery on my Achilles tendon a couple years ago after first trying a less invasive approach first . she came highly recommended by my medical doctor. I recently had problems with my other ankle and was seen promptly. Her office staff is extremely professional but has a warm bedside manner as did Dr Bonar. Due to recommendations ..and past experience I would have waited how ever long it took to seek her medical care and expertise. Due to other health issues I met with some obstacles to get necessary surgery done, which her and the staff assisted in seeing the proper intervention happened. I will not only make the trek across the state lines to see her if ever needed but HAVE highly recommended her to others. I not only have the higest regard to her competence as a 'conservative' surgeon but also will confirm she has an extremely warm and concerned bedside manner. Because I can not receive MRI's she chose to scope the ankle and situation prior to the surgical procedure she anticipated. This Dr is well worth your confidence and competency. Felt she listens and asked all the right questions as well as did all test necessary to make an intelligent competent decision. After all the surgeons I've required for other health issues ( and there have been way too many needed) I hold her bedside manner and conservative treatment at the highest regard.

flag | Submitted January 5, 2017

If you see Dr. Bonar, please check the office notes. Out of 8 office visits every single medical report for each visit had terrible mistakes. If you by chance are foolish to have surgery by Dr. Bonar after finding that every office note is incorrect, be sure that when you go to the surgical center that she is part owner of that you make sure that you have the correct surgery. You should always get your reports from this doctor and surgical center. Dr. Bonar did the surgery I signed for and then did an additional surgery to my foot that I did not find out about for seven months when my pain doctor ordered a new MRI to compare to the MRI done before surgery, that MRI image was blank, Dr. Bonar decided that she did not need to look at the MRI images that she ordered and just went by the radiologist report for my surgery. Now I have a new disease complex regional pain syndrome. I am in pain 24/7, my foot is deformed and my ankle she operated on is 3 inches bigger around than my other ankle at all times. Their office is like a animal processing plant in and out, no time for questions, not time to get the right information, no time to look at a $3000.00 MRI that was ordered and was blank and no time to tell my family, husband or me about the additional surgery she did even when I saw her 5 more times after surgery to be set up for sympathetic nerve blocks to try to catch the CRPS before it set in, well too late. I have a lifetime of pain to look forward too because this "Doctor" can not even do the basic procedures before cutting you up. Run as fast as you can, look at each office visit notes and please be sure and get a second opinion so you do not have to suffer like I am....

flag | Submitted July 6, 2015

During my recent consultation with Dr. Bonar, I was deeply impressed with her intellect, presence, and thoughtful and thorough approach. Despite having graduated in the top five percent of her class at Yale Medical School (!!), Dr. Bonar was uncommonly grounded, gracious, and generous among physicians--not to mention surgeons. As a psychotherapist, I greatly appreciated Dr. Bonar's stance of asking probing questions, then listening attentively to my answers. In fact, I have rarely felt so heard and attended to within the medical community! Women employed in male-dominated professions face myriad additional hurdles, leading some to become (understandably) hardened. Not so Dr. Bonar, whose genuine empathy and compassion were palpable! I likewise resonated with Dr. Bonar's prudent, commonsense medical approach, in considering alternatives to surgery as a first resort. My situation is complex, as I appear to have diffuse nerve damage within my foot. I thus am beginning physical therapy via Dr. Bonar's referral, while simultaneously interviewing several other foot surgeons--a choice that Dr. Bonar wholly respected! While I have not yet made a final treatment decision, I feel an unusual sense of trust in Dr. Bonar's expertise. Dr. Bonar's office staff (radiologist technician Shannon and office manager Johnia) also were most caring and competent at their respective positions. In brief, while Dr. Bonar's office runs like a proverbial well-oiled machine, their treatment of me was anything but mechanical.

flag | Submitted January 26, 2015

Run the opposite direction. Terrible bedside manner

flag | Submitted September 20, 2014

I needed surgery in both feet, and Dr. Bonar did an excellent job helping me to be pain free again. 10 yrs later, when one of my feet needed correction in a different area, I returned to her for help. She corrected the problem thru surgery and I am now pain free! I would recommend Dr. Bonar to anyone having orthopedic foot problems. I've been told by 2 other doctors who have worked with her that she is the best foot doctor in Kansas City, & the 4 state area for that matter. Kudos!

flag | Submitted July 22, 2011

Dr. Susan K. Bonar's Credentials

• Yale University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1989)